• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What's the oldest computer you're still using?

CapturedDoll

Verified
I was just wondering if anyone still has/uses their old computers? Anyone have one from the 90's? Sometimes I day dream about getting an older one. Currently I am using a RCA Galileo Pro Tablet and I really hate it. If I so much as breath on it or move it slightly I lose everything I was writing if I don't save it constantly. Or the 50 other super annoying issues. I never want to own another touchscreen/ tablet again if I can avoid it. But I have this creeping feeling soon EVERYTHING will be touch screen.

I am NOT saying there aren't good computers out there. I'm not saying their aren't good tablets out there. I'm just wondering if it's possible to still use old ones. I know old ones won't be compatible with apps and most social media. Thats not an issue for me. I'll always still have a new one but... it would be nice to go back to the older models if possible. At least once in awhile.

Last edited:
You can still buy desktops and laptops that aren't touch screen but are compatible with social media etc!

To answer your question, my old computer was purchased in 2003 and upgraded with a better memory chip in 2010. It still works. :D

I have one from about 1998-99, it still cranks up, but is slow as Haydes. Also is not updated as to everything. Heck, it even has floppy drives, but I think those quit working. Don't remember the version of Windows, but it be old, like me. I only keep it because it has some files on it, which have been transferred to a flash drive, but still....

The oldest one I currently use daily is a late-2008 MacBook Pro that I've upgraded many times. Unfortunately, the battery was swelling when it charged and gave off a bunch of heat so I had to recycle it and now the laptop is dependent on the plug. My sister still has an old Dell from 2006, I think, that I've rebuilt a few times and taught her a valuable lesson about cybersecurity and how I'm not a miracle worker. She got phished and some Nigerian Prince got a payday...

The one I am on now. From 2005 uses Windows XP SP2. Still works though barely LOL It is time to upgrade. I just need a day or too to activate and get a new up and running. :)

Not strictly speaking the computer part, but I have a 90s-vintage CRT monitor that takes up half my desk and does wonders for my failing eyesight. The secret to its longevity must be the custom dust cover I bought so long ago; certainly it's not my cats who think they couldn't have found a toastier spot to slumber on.

My Dell desktop is 7 or 8 years old. Not fancy but it does everything I need it to.

Thanks for all your answers :)

I was on ebay the other night and saw a Macintosh Classic II for $19.00. But then I checked in again yesterday as the time was winding down and there was 20 people watching it. A bidding war was about to take place. So we were like nevermind. We'll see more again the future. I also would want just a middle 90's PC with Windows 95.

Before that I use to have a Commodore 64.

NOW the oldest system I have is a video game system called Vectrex. I think I paid $150.00 (used) for it around year 2000. But I'm seeing them now go for around $400.00- $900.00 And one currently -near mint/in box etc- $3,900. i love my Vectrex... but if I could get that kind of money... I'd hand deliver it. LOL!!!! *sigh*

Computers before Windows 7 were a gamble. I remember PCs with 98 and XP being cool but easily broken. Hardware wise anything DDR3 compatible is still "safe" (durable) to use. ...operating system wise why not use Linux or W10 and emulate the older windows? Now they are the stuff of memes anyhow. The reason people upgrade is securities.

Anyhow, my oldest machine. ...I've kept all my laptops from 2001 to 2006.....but my last laptop was a 2011 Toshiba. ...I left it alone for 6 months recently thinking I killed the keyboard but much to my surprise when getting some old documents I found it worked fine. Go figure. Tablet wise for the gym I use an old galaxy tab 3 8.

I'm using a desktop that's six years old. I've had to replace the harddrive twice but right now cannot afford to upgrade to anything newer at the moment. For now it serves my purposes. I'm dreading the day I won't be able to use a non-touch screen computer anymore though. :(

I haven't bought a new computer since 1998, but I've upgraded so much that the only original parts are a few standoff screws. Still, I have an old 486 with motherboard, an nVidia 8800 video card, 64 bits of DDR2 memory and a copy of Windows XP Professional. I have been contemplating creating an older build to run some of my older 32-bit programs, and it would only require a new CMOS battery and a case. However, I don't recommend upgrading older than the mid-2000s as legacy parts such as PATA drives, VGA connectors for monitors and printer connector ports might make buying replacement parts unnecessarily difficult and expensive. Look for a computer with a SATA compatible motherboard, USB connectors, a couple PCI (at least) slots and DDR2 memory. This will make purchasing parts EXTREMELY inexpensive (computer stores are constantly trying to dump obsolete inventory), and you will still be able to run your favorite older programs. On the downside, don't expect to run any of the newer programs developed for Windows 7 or 10. I hope this helps.

PS - If you're running Windows XP, download an anti-virus program first. Within 5 minutes of going online unprotected, your computer will be infected with a virus or other form of malware.

I have a toshiba satellite from the 90s that I still turn on from time to time for a laugh but I don't use it all that often.

I have a 2006 Sony laptop running Debian Linux. On its last legs but still works well most of the time!

I'm using an HP laptop from 03 I think. I updated the operating system from Vista to Windows 7 to Windows 10. It has been a really good computer but if it stops working I don't think I will be able to get parts to fix it. I do not game and only very little on social media. I work very hard at protecting it from spam and virus.

This is not a computer that I use on a daily basis, only when I'm working, but Dollar General still use IBM Computers from like 1987.

I still have one of those touch-screen HP desktops that's built into the monitor. I think I've had it since 2008.

The answer to your original post is that it depends. Different programs have different requirements, so overall it depends on what you intend to use it for.

You're likely to run into issues the further back you go, due to websites and programs needing more resources. Anything from around 2004 should function in the current environment.

Anything further back you'll probably start to run into problems. It's not so much that the devices won't work, but more that there will probably be compatibility issues, or the inability to connect to the modern internet. Again, it depends on the devices, the programs you intend to use, and the operating system running on the machine.

What's New

3/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you up to date on where and when folk are meeting up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back