• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

David Foster Wallace

Vanillaphant

TMF Master
Hello, hello.

Just wondering if anybody had read or had any opinions on David Foster Wallace. A couple of years ago I went through a phase of watching/listening to his interviews on Youtube. I just think he’s an interesting person. He was obviously a smart guy, very astute, but with some serious personal problems: chiefly depression.

Haven’t read any of his stuff though. Infinite Jest is said to be his magnum opus, but its size and the hundreds of footnotes puts me off a bit lol. No doubt I’ll give it a go at some point.

Also, has anybody seen The End of the Tour, the film in which he’s portrayed by Jason Segel? I remember watching a trailer in which Segel looks and sounds very little like Wallace, thinking, “Christ, this looks awful” lol. But I understand the film did actually get some good reviews, so maybe I’ll check it out after all.

Cheeyers! :)

I've long admired his work; "Shipping Out" is one of my personal favorites. I could also relate to his struggles with depression and his suicidal thoughts, which he ultimately gave in to.

He's also special to me due to his connections to my area, having been born in Ithaca, NY and spending time here during his troubled relationship with fellow renowned writer and Syracuse University professor Mary Karr. Concerning the latter, see this rather disturbing article that recently appeared on the Web site of The Atlantic.

Thanks for the reply - and the links!

Didn't know anything about that relationship. I got the impression he was an obsessive sort of person, but I didn't realize he was capable of that sort of behaviour. As you say: disturbing.

Had heard about that particular essay but hadn't read it, obviously. Will do so in due course.

Thanks again! :)

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back