• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

three birthdays

milagros317

Verified
Alice, a grandmother, was celebrating her mutual birthday with her daughter, Barbara, and her granddaughter, Cindy. All three women have the same birthday.

"Gee, Mom," said Barbara, "today you are just as far over 70 as I am under 70."

"Yes, dear," said Alice, "and that is just a silly way of saying that the sum of our ages is 140. Do you realize that today I am triple the age that you were back when I was your current age?"

"Certainly," said Barbara after a quick mental calculation. "And today I am quadruple the age that my daughter Cindy was back when I was her current age."

How old are the three of them?

Last edited:
No bites? I tried, but guess my thinking abilities have deteriorated with age. Seems to be simple, but obviously isn't. Will you eventually post the solution? (I'm still beating my brain with it)

I suck at Math, so bear with me here :p I do like logic riddles such as this one, though, so I can't help giving this a shot:

I'd say, Alice is 84, Barbara is 56, and... I can't figure out a logical way to calculate Cindy's age at the moment :D

When Alice was 56, Barbara was 28 (28*3=84)

When Barbara was Cindy's current age, Cindy was 14 (14*4=56)

Last edited:
Tenebrae, think you got it. The math works. I catch on now.......

I suck at Math, so bear with me here :p I do like logic riddles such as this one, though, so I can't help giving this a shot:

I'd say, Alice is 84, Barbara is 56, and... I can't figure out a logical way to calculate Cindy's age at the moment :D

When Alice was 56, Barbara was 28 (28*3=84)

When Barbara was Cindy's current age, Cindy was 14 (14*4=56)
This is correct! :cheer:

To get Cindy's current age, continue by noting that 56-x = 14+x (where x is the number of years ago that Barbara was Cindy's current age).
Then x=21, so 56-x=14+x=35, Cindy's current age.

This is correct! :cheer:

To get Cindy's current age, continue by noting that 56-x = 14+x (where x is the number of years ago that Barbara was Cindy's current age).
Then x=21, so 56-x=14+x=35, Cindy's current age.

Ahhhh of course! Thank you so much for this :)

I wish I had a math teacher as nice as you when I was a kid. Maybe I would have fared better (and my parents would have been grateful :D) ;)

Just curious. Other than outright guessing, is there a way to get either Alice's or Barbara's age? Which then leads into Cindy's age. Guess I was trying to be too analytic.

Just curious. Other than outright guessing, is there a way to get either Alice's or Barbara's age? Which then leads into Cindy's age. Guess I was trying to be too analytic.

It can be solved using high school algebra:

Let a, b, and c represent the ages of Alice, Barbara, and Cindy, respectively.
Let z represent the number of years since Alice was Barbara's age.

We know that a+b = 140
and that a = 3*(b-z) = 3b-3z
and also that a-z = b

Use your favorite method for solving 3 linear equations in 3 unknowns to achieve a=84, b=56, z=28.
Then solve for c as in post number 7 in this thread, above.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back