• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Annoying phrases and speech trends

Vanillaphant

TMF Master
Hello, hello. (Like that, maybe? lol)

Anything you hear people say that irritates the heck out of you?

Got a couple myself, but thought I'd open it up to the forum first.

Cheeyers! :)

'Smash/smashed it' is one phrase always guaranteed to annoy me. It's vulgar, and its used so widely now that it's difficult to avoid!

What does that mean out of curiosity? I tried looking it up.

Here in the UK, people often use it as praise if someone’s done a great job on a TV talent programme, for example, but it was originally used as a hideously derogatory way of saying ‘I had sex with a girl’. Absolutely horrible!

Whenever someone says "I could care less"

Or if they misspell easy fucking words like "definitely" (they spell it "defiantly") or "per se" spelled like "persay". Or "here here" when they mean "hear hear"

I cringe. Not counting typos or autocorrect. That shit happens to the best of us.

Also hate when people misspell my name so like dont even try haha

When people use the word "no" as an affirmative. Example: "No, I totally get that."

Whenever I see Manager Guy or Office Guy throw out plastic turds like "what do you bring to the table?" I want to get out of my seat, grab the edge of that folding table, and turning it up violently their way, pointing towards the moved table and saying calmly..."this."

or some phony know-it-all regarding a situation:

"He's not a happy camper!"
"It's not in the cards."
"We need to get on the same page."

I hate working 40 hours a week of something I have to do. Fuck.

“Cool beans” Has always irritated me.
While the phrase rings a vague bell, I don't think I've ever actually heard anybody use it. Could easily imagine it getting on my nerves though. Pretty lame.

Here in the UK, people often use it as praise if someone’s done a great job on a TV talent programme, for example, but it was originally used as a hideously derogatory way of saying ‘I had sex with a girl’. Absolutely horrible!
Perhaps because I'd seldom heard the phrase used in a sexual context, I never really made that connection. And I suppose most people don't think about it in that way. But before "smashed it" became popular, it was always "nailed it". So yeah... I guess there's a common theme there lol. Dodgy.

Severe overuse of the word "literally".
Overuse or misuse? Misuse annoys me. In fact, it makes my blood boil. Like, literally. :p

Whenever someone says "I could care less"
Do you mean as opposed to "I couldn't care less"? Or do you just mean that you don't like the phrase generally? I must admit, I'd never heard anybody use "could" in this respect till I joined the TMF. Don't think you would ever hear a Brit say it - always "couldn't care less". Could care less doesn't even make sense in that context, does it? :shrug:

Not counting typos or autocorrect. That shit happens to the best of us.
Like the way you crowbarred that in there lol. I'm saying nothing. :p

When people use the word "no" as an affirmative. Example: "No, I totally get that."
Indeed. What annoys me more, however, is when a person starts a sentence with, "No, yeah..." or, more commonly, "Yeah, no..." lol. "Yeah, no, you make a good point..." And you think, well I must have done, cos you contradicted yourself in the first two words of your response! lol

Whenever I see Manager Guy or Office Guy throw out plastic turds like "what do you bring to the table?" I want to get out of my seat, grab the edge of that folding table, and turning it up violently their way, pointing towards the moved table and saying calmly..."this."
lol! Had a good chuckle at this.

I'm kind of over the word "lit" to describe anything cool or high energy lol

I'm kind of over the word "lit" to describe anything cool or high energy lol

Co-sign this. I'm also pretty much over anybody referring to their crush or significant other as "bae"....

Woke, lit, bae, fierce, fire, savage, slay, thick and everything else my little sister says when she's speaking English and wants to sound 'on-trend'. And I hate 'on trend' too.

I am guilty of using tons of annoying phrases.

Finna
as fuck
yasss
bae

lol

"My bad" - commonly used when people are really trying to say, "Sorry, that was my mistake/my fault". It's not so much the use of the phrase, but more the way people are just so pleased with themselves when they do use the phrase, like it's some sort of punchline or performance.
(Sometimes also used sarcastically, when the user is responding to someone else mocking them for something, such as their bad fashion taste. Less annoying, but no thanks).

I have no idea what "bae" actually means, but for some reason it really irritates me when I see it used online because it's so obviously a trendy abbreviation/buzzword used in place of something else.

Some people in my workplace use a non-existent word, which they wouldn't even be able to spell themselves because it is essentially just a sound... instead of saying "bye" or "goodbye" or "see ya" (which years ago was probably one of these equally annoying modern phrases we are now all dismissing....), they instead say "baaaaa" - it's almost like they are translating "Ciaou" (which generally sounds cool) into what they think it would sound like in English.. and then add a hint of Oklahoma twang and accompany it with a subtle wave and a glamorous mince through the exit door. Funny, I can't really explain this one, but it's unforgivable.

I am guilty of saying "Lovely job" at the moment... if someone serves me a coffee/beer, if someone tells me they can make an appointment I've arranged, gives me my change etc etc - probably need to stop this.

My colleague uses a weird sort of reverse description when answering a question about her feelings on a proposition...

"Would you be able to work late tomorrow?" "Hmm, I'm not desperate to"

"Did you go out at the weekend?" "No, we weren't desperate to, so we just stayed in"

Imagine a life spent making all your decisions based on your level on desperation.

I could go on....

I suppose the point is that language is always evolving and is really quite fascinating.

Cheers
TTG

Some people in my workplace use a non-existent word, which they wouldn't even be able to spell themselves because it is essentially just a sound... instead of saying "bye" or "goodbye" or "see ya" (which years ago was probably one of these equally annoying modern phrases we are now all dismissing....), they instead say "baaaaa" - it's almost like they are translating "Ciaou" (which generally sounds cool) into what they think it would sound like in English.. and then add a hint of Oklahoma twang and accompany it with a subtle wave and a glamorous mince through the exit door. Funny, I can't really explain this one, but it's unforgivable.

:laughhard:
Where do you work?! lol

There is this extremely old man who is a motivational speaker who gives lectures and speeches on NPR against greed, corruption, and stuff and dear multiverse does his speaking annoy my OCD to no end! He speaks so utterly soft and gentle it bothers me so that I can literally get no peace until I shut the radio off as soon as possible and start imaging myself taking a chainsaw to his god damned mouth!

:laughhard:
Where do you work?! lol

Well, it's a business centre with several companies occupying offices within...and actually it's only one company that display this tendency and they're generally very keen to employ young staff, most are aged 18-25 and therefore there's a lot of glamour, testosterone and general excitement flying around. Also, they're a very sociable company, which I admire and envy (compared to my own colleagues), so I shouldn't begrudge them this too much. It's to be expected that 'in-jokes' and shared phrases will emerge when cliques form.

Starting sentences with, "So..." And pretty much everything else posted in this thread. I shouldn't be too critical though, I curse a lot. A whole lot.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back