• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Annoying phrases and speech trends

"It is what it is." Oh, thanks for that completely worthless sentiment that you're trying to pass off as wisdom.

"Sorry not sorry" is just way too smug and condescending.

I also hate when people say in all seriousness "there's an art to it" for completely mundane tasks.

Here in Europe, there's currently an extremely annoying trend for adding 'exit' onto the ends of country names when discussing the possibility of them withdrawing from the European Union. Not only do we have 'Brexit', but there's also 'Italexic' (for Italy), and 'Grexit' (for Greece). The idea that you can just glue two seperate words together to make a 'new' word just makes no sense to me at all!

Here in Europe, there's currently an extremely annoying trend for adding 'exit' onto the ends of country names when discussing the possibility of them withdrawing from the European Union. Not only do we have 'Brexit', but there's also 'Italexic' (for Italy), and 'Grexit' (for Greece). The idea that you can just glue two seperate words together to make a 'new' word just makes no sense to me at all!

We went through something similar years ago, with "gate" (a reference to Watergate) attached to every scandal that came along. I can't recall an example off the top of my head but it got completely out of hand.

We went through something similar years ago, with "gate" (a reference to Watergate) attached to every scandal that came along. I can't recall an example off the top of my head but it got completely out of hand.

Aren't we still going through that one? And yes, I've always found using "gate" that way annoying.

"It is what it is." Oh, thanks for that completely worthless sentiment that you're trying to pass off as wisdom.

lol Yes. And, for me, pretty much every other known platitude - even though I've probably used a few in my time!

"at the end of the day."

Agreed. Confession: I actually caught myself using it not so long ago! :shock: :blush: Even as the words were coming out of my mouth I thought, "Oh no... You're actually saying it... Shame on you..." lol! I'd had a few drinks at the time, so that's my excuse... *shifty eyes*

Speaking for myself, I have nothing against portmanteaus in principle - they're pretty common after all. But I agree that some of 'em are just lame. And annoying, of course.

Speaking of which, I support the anti-"gate" movement! :D Let's hope the controversy doesn't escalate and become "TMF Gategate". :rolleyes:

Aren't we still going through that one? And yes, I've always found using "gate" that way annoying.

I don't recall seeing or hearing the word used that way in some time. Could be I'm not paying attention.

If I never hear "perf" "perfect" or "glorious" again, I wouldn't be mad.

"My bad" - commonly used when people are really trying to say, "Sorry, that was my mistake/my fault". It's not so much the use of the phrase, but more the way people are just so pleased with themselves when they do use the phrase, like it's some sort of punchline or performance.
(Sometimes also used sarcastically, when the user is responding to someone else mocking them for something, such as their bad fashion taste. Less annoying, but no thanks).

My ex-wife is an elementary music teacher. She was teaching the class the song "Farmer in the Dell" where one person starts out in the middle of the circle and each new verse the person has to pick another person to join them. Her only rule was that they had to alternate boy-girl. Well it got to the verse "the dog takes the cat" and this young boy tried to choose his best friend (another boy). She mentioned to him that he had to choose a girl and this kid replied "Oh, my bad". Hilarious to me in that the class was a kindergarten class and the kid was all of 5 years old!!

Barbershopman

"My bad" - commonly used when people are really trying to say, "Sorry, that was my mistake/my fault".

She mentioned to him that he had to choose a girl and this kid replied "Oh, my bad". Hilarious to me in that the class was a kindergarten class and the kid was all of 5 years old!!

Barbershopman

It goes to show how language gets passed down generations and copied from peers/parents/siblings.

The question I often ask is 'Who was the first to say that?!'... Did it come from a famous sitcom like 'Friends' or 'Family Guy'? Or did someone mega cool just happen to say it once and then it went linguistically viral?

I'll add another one to the mix...

"Every which way"... meaning, I think, 'in all ways possible at the same time' / 'in any of the many ways possible'.
Eg in tennis.... "Federer is serving every which way and his opponent can't get a read on it" (He's basically serving all over the place so the opponent can't guess what's coming next).

It obviously makes no sense.... I suppose it's an attempt to describe the meaning of the phrase by demonstrating the meaning within the phrase itself. What's the word for that?? Autological? Not sure. Either way, it's bad.

Thanks!!

I do chuckle at the examples they give on those sites where there's some obscure sentence illustration how the phrase could be used ... the Urban Dictionary site is also very amusing with this.

A final addition from my long list of annoyances within this topic...

"... not gonna lie..." - this is very popular and used by people as some grand statement said before saying something that isn't remotely controversial, unexpected or indeed anything they would ever lie about anyway...(often accompanied with some sort of hand gesture or shake of the head).

EG.

Said by someone while walking in the park in 27 degree Celsius heat... "... I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm so hot"

Or, in response to the question "Did you find running that marathon tiring?" "... not gonna lie, it was pretty exhausting.."

Language trends are funny.

As I haven't yet contributed any of my own, I thought I'd do so now.

One trend that's been bugging me recently, though I realize it's hardly ubiquitous, is the superfluous use by retail assistants of the word "today". "Do you need a bag today?" "Will you be paying by cash or card today?" And you think, "As opposed to when, exactly? I'm here now, aren't I? If I'm here now then it's obviously today... So why bother specifying today?" lol

Another one from the realm of service industry interactions - this time from the other side of the counter, so to speak - is when a person is ordering something and instead of saying I'll have... or even Could I get... they'll say I'm gonna do the... "Uh yeah, I'm gonna do the chicken...?" Don't even know why that one annoys me so much - but it does! lol Thankfully, I've only ever heard Americans say it. But it wouldn't surprise me if it caught on here. Most speech trends do! (Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, by the way - just the way it is!)

"Uh yeah, I'm gonna do the chicken...

That conjures up some rather disturbing images. But to each his own. :p

These make my hair hurt. Bucket list, hack and hacks. Use this travel hack on your next trip. These cleaning hacks will speed up your housekeeping.

I'm with Bugman on "bucket list." Also, I find it really annoying when people say "pay it forward" instead of "pay it back."

That conjures up some rather disturbing images. But to each his own. :p

lol Yes. Them chickens really get my cock-a-leekie! (Actually made myself laugh-out-loud at how bad that joke was lol.) :blush:

Not sure I'd even heard the word "hack" used in that context before. Sounds like one of those annoying media terms.

I'm not crazy about the term "adulting." I get that it's usually said ironically and with a healthy dose of self awareness, but it's still kind of lame in my opinion

There are far too many for me to remember off the top of my head (there's one :p), but for me the worst thing by far is when one infects me to the point I start using it in conversation without knowing it.
E.g. I mentally slap myself whenever I put lol at the end of a text message lol

When people pronounce the word "golf" without the L. (I don't care if that's the proper pronunciation! It's super annoying)

I can't stand men talking softly or making the ssshhh should. I don't know why. I drives my OCD utterly batshit crazy. Women don't give me that reaction. Only men doing it makes my OCD upset. I feel this crazy urge to take a large pair of garden sheers to their mouths and lips whenever I hear it.

:shock: That's a thing!?

Who are these people? And who says that's the correct pronunciation? lol

Gof!!!???

IKR? When I was in high school a friend's mom pronounced it "Goff". So annoying. But in Scotland, where the game was invented, (I think) apparently that's how it's pronounced.

Golf*(the*l*being sounded) is unknown in Scotland.

https://blog.oup.com/2011/07/golf/

You're a Brit, right Vanilla? One more reason to be annoyed by the Scots! :laughhard:

IKR? When I was in high school a friend's mom pronounced it "Goff". So annoying. But in Scotland, where the game was invented, (I think) apparently that's how it's pronounced.

https://blog.oup.com/2011/07/golf/

You're a Brit, right Vanilla? One more reason to be annoyed by the Scots! :laughhard:

Interesting. Sounds like "goff" (or something like it, anyway) was the common pronunciation back in the day... Like when only 7 people knew how to play it and they probably used a tree branch for a club and a dead vole for a ball or whatevertheheck.

Sounds like some people need to get with the times, if you ask me. lol

Last edited:
What's New

4/18/2024
Need to report a post? Click the report button to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back