• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Childhood fads

Vanillaphant

TMF Master
Hello, hello.

Was wondering what kind of fads you experienced as a child, either collectively with friends/schoolmates or individually.

When I think about this topic, I tend to think of stuff my friends and I would collect and trade (and sometimes play for - "for keeps!" lol). May go into that in more detail at some point. But for now...

Anybody?

Cheeyers! :)

When I was five years old, the big fad was Davey Crockett, and every boy in my neighborhood had a fake raccoon skin cap.
When I was eight years old, hoola hoops became a very big fad.
:D

When I was five years old, the big fad was Davey Crockett, and every boy in my neighborhood had a fake raccoon skin cap.

I'm sure I must have heard about that particular fad before... And yet it obviously didn't register, cos when I read that I thought, "Really?!" lol

Love it though! :)

I'm sure I must have heard about that particular fad before... And yet it obviously didn't register, cos when I read that I thought, "Really?!" lol

Love it though! :)

The coonskin cap fad was the result of a five part Disney series that aired Dec. 1954-Dec. 1955. An older brother had one of those caps which was passed down to me when he got older. Wish I still had it, the originals are collectors items now.

One fad I remember was a collection of little troll-like figures that fit on the eraser end of a pencil. They were quite popular with the girls for some reason.

Pogs. When I was in fifth grade it was all about pogs. They disappeared as quickly as they came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a young lad, my dad (and thus we) were stationed in Japan for a few years. There were things called Nikko cards (I think that's what they were called....it was about 50 yrs ago). Some were small, some were big. We used them in a game. There was a circle, and some cards would be placed on the ground. Each of us then would use our cards to "smack" the cards on the ground - hard to explain, you threw a card down on top of another, hoping to flip it over. If you flipped that card, you collected it, along with your card. Otherwise, your card was on the ground. The tradition was, when you got transferred back to the States, you did a "Nikko shower" - we had a three-story building, you'd go to the second story, and toss all your cards out, for all to run and collect. Wish I had kept a few.

I don't know if it counts as a fad, but I remember one summer when absolutely everyone was into tennis. Tennis racquets were brought into school, we all tried to dress in clothes that we could wear for a couple of rallies, and the queues to play on courts were ridiculous. A couple of years before that it had been ballet, at least for us girls.

When I was about 9 yoyos became a thing for a few months and playing on the grass was mostly a matter of dodging flying pieces of plastic or metal.

The big thing in France was BDs or bandes dessinées, our version of comic strips. Sometimes one would rise to prominence and you had to read it or you wouldn't know what people were talking about, and what the rules for various games were

I don't know if it counts as a fad, but I remember one summer when absolutely everyone was into tennis. Tennis racquets were brought into school, we all tried to dress in clothes that we could wear for a couple of rallies, and the queues to play on courts were ridiculous. A couple of years before that it had been ballet, at least for us girls.

When I was about 9 yoyos became a thing for a few months and playing on the grass was mostly a matter of dodging flying pieces of plastic or metal.

The big thing in France was BDs or bandes dessinées, our version of comic strips. Sometimes one would rise to prominence and you had to read it or you wouldn't know what people were talking about, and what the rules for various games were

Wow, _virginie_ I'm wondering what decade you're referring to because I remember the tennis fad in the late 80s, as well as the comic strip fad - Bloom County, The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes. I was just starting high school, probably around 14 at the height of it. Baseball cards were big too, we used to shoot pool for baseball cards. Pool wasn't big but one kid's dad had a table in his basement.

Wow, _virginie_ I'm wondering what decade you're referring to because I remember the tennis fad in the late 80s, as well as the comic strip fad - Bloom County, The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes. I was just starting high school, probably around 14 at the height of it. Baseball cards were big too, we used to shoot pool for baseball cards. Pool wasn't big but one kid's dad had a table in his basement.

The noughties for me, and as far as I know from cousins the BD fad is still going strong, just different BDs now

Thank you, Bugman, for that info on the coonskin cap fad!

Re: other fads...

Troll pencil toppers were fairly popular when I was at school, too.

Pogs were probably my favourite childhood fad! (mini-boglins coming a close second lol). Was also interesting to hear rdhd describe the game he played in Japan, as it's pretty much the game one played with Pogs! Have looked it up and it seems that Pogs may have been based on the game of Menko...? Simple to play but quite addictive!

Also had a Tamagotchi. They were kinda depressing though. Did your best by 'em and then they just went and died on you lol. Very weird kinda fad, when you think about it.

Had almost forgotten the yoyo fad! Think I was in my first year of secondary school when they took off. It was all about how long you could get it to "stall" for lol.

In junior high, it was that Pokémon card game or whatever it was. Also Harry Potter. Meanwhile I’d be reading philosophy and not telling anyone. Lol

warheads240ctjar1.jpg

I was an adult when pet rocks came along but kids wanted them as well.

I ironically started a fad in my elementary school due to my long side burns. Every kid kept saying how cool they were and then all of a sudden every kid in my school had long side burns. Didn't last but man was it hilarious.

Among my group of friends back in Middle School/early High School, skateboarding was an enormous fad. Essentially, you knew how to skateboard or you didn't have friends.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back