• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Office politics >.<

Tenebrae

Verified
I've recently started a new job. A corporate one. For those of you who don't know me, I used to work as a scholar in a private research institute. It had its share of drama, but it was a very secure, sheltered even, position.

I knew I was in for a change, and yet... oh boy! :eek:

Day one, I was asked to pick sides in an ongoing turf war. I managed to avoid getting involved, but it made both sides scorn me.

Day three, some maniac tried to save his ass by getting me fired by means of passing his lousy work for mine, making one of our VIP clients furious against me. He thought that since I was new I wouldn't have the necessary credibility with the bosses; fortunately I was allowed to make my case, and he was the one who got fired. Plus, I managed to negotiate a monetary compensation in the process.

Day nine, my 1st business trip got canceled because my superior wanted to show the BD department manager that she owns me and SHE got final say as to where my ass is going and when.

I am now ten days into this job. I love it, it pays well, I like my colleagues (those who don't try to stab me in the back) and it's FUN. I am learning a lot, and in the coming two to three years I am sure I'll have grown tremendously. But man, the clanic spirit, the petty rivalries, the underlying contempt and jealousy... It's intense, to say the least. No wonder they insist so much on "team spirit", going as far as giving us weekly lectures and sending people to report to the big bosses about ongoing conflicts.

I am not complaining. I can take care of myself and I got my people to back me up. My results also speak for themselves. The reason why I made this post is to ask whether you ever experienced similar situations. How was your dive into the hornet's nest? Did you also have to fight to survive? Do you reluctantly (like me) play the politics game, or do you thrive in it? Do you consider it fulfilling; maybe even a form of achievement in its own right?

I've never had such antics at anyplace I've worked. Not to say that others here in the U.S. were as lucky - there could be many such situations. Good to hear that you have the tenacity to stick it out, to "give it back to them"; I'm sure the environment in China is a hell of a lot harsher than here in the States, with all of our laws and such. Good luck with your new position!

My entire working career (age 26 to 66) was spent as a faculty member. There is truly nasty politics and backstabbing in academia, but at least after one has tenure there is little danger of being fired.

One amusing note: The woman who was Chairperson of my department from 1978 to 1984 often boasted, "I have never stabbed anybody in the back. I just walk right up to them and cut their throats from the front."

Best wishes to you with your new job, my friend. :D

So sorry to hear about this.

Workplace drama is terrible. You almost have to put up with it. Otherwise, you won't have money to buy the things you need.

For the most part, I have managed to avoid the drama. I am currently on my second "career" job. Both of my career jobs have been at colleges. There was drama and office politics at the first college I worked for, but fortunately, I managed to avoid it. At the college I currently work for, I attracted the attention of one of those workplace troublemakers during my first year. I didn't do anything deliberately to attract it. In fact, I really didn't even do anything wrong. Somehow, for some reason, she just zeroed in on me and decided to make trouble for me. At first, she went to the vice president and complained that I "talked to myself" and that I "seemed angry."

For anyone who knows me, the part about "seeming angry" should be really silly.

Unfortunately, it was taken seriously.

After that, whenever I made the slightest mistake, she ran to the VP and not only snitched on me for it, but she embellished it to the upteenth degree and made it sound like I was screwing up everything in sight.

Fortunately, she was an office temp and didn't stick around long.

The worst job experiences I've had were usually due to poor leadership. Also being a female in a male dominated field. You gotta be tough lol

My vanilla job is an office of one. Me. So, there is only one voice in my workplace. I tend to ignore the ones in my head...although I occasionally argue with them...and only worry if I lose the arguments.

Good luck with the new job your doing the right thing by weathering the storm.
I have had this sort of thing in the workplace and i did confront it on a man to man basis a sort of handbags at dawn type of situation it was not the correct way and now iam older i have learn't to be more subtle, and there are always more than one ways to skin a cat.
This last comment and the handbags at dawn are common expressions in the uk and are not intended to offend if anyone one does feel offended then i'am sorry

Thanks for the support, everyone! Not that I was fishing for any, but it feels good nonetheless. You guys are the best!

I've never had such antics at anyplace I've worked. Not to say that others here in the U.S. were as lucky - there could be many such situations. Good to hear that you have the tenacity to stick it out, to "give it back to them"; I'm sure the environment in China is a hell of a lot harsher than here in the States, with all of our laws and such. Good luck with your new position!

Well, in a way, I feel that China offers a more humane way to manage working relations. The main problem here is the cultural difference and the fact that the Chinese are a subtle people. For a straightforward kind of guy like me, it makes things a bit difficult at times, but I manage.

My entire working career (age 26 to 66) was spent as a faculty member. There is truly nasty politics and backstabbing in academia, but at least after one has tenure there is little danger of being fired.

One amusing note: The woman who was Chairperson of my department from 1978 to 1984 often boasted, "I have never stabbed anybody in the back. I just walk right up to them and cut their throats from the front."

Best wishes to you with your new job, my friend. :D

Haha, I am no stranger to the culture of academia, so I understand what you are talking about. My previous boss was a lot like the woman you described.

And thank you for the kind wishes ;)

So sorry to hear about this.

Workplace drama is terrible. You almost have to put up with it. Otherwise, you won't have money to buy the things you need.

For the most part, I have managed to avoid the drama. I am currently on my second "career" job. Both of my career jobs have been at colleges. There was drama and office politics at the first college I worked for, but fortunately, I managed to avoid it. At the college I currently work for, I attracted the attention of one of those workplace troublemakers during my first year. I didn't do anything deliberately to attract it. In fact, I really didn't even do anything wrong. Somehow, for some reason, she just zeroed in on me and decided to make trouble for me. At first, she went to the vice president and complained that I "talked to myself" and that I "seemed angry."

For anyone who knows me, the part about "seeming angry" should be really silly.

Unfortunately, it was taken seriously.

After that, whenever I made the slightest mistake, she ran to the VP and not only snitched on me for it, but she embellished it to the upteenth degree and made it sound like I was screwing up everything in sight.

Fortunately, she was an office temp and didn't stick around long.

Well, good riddance, if I may say! Honestly, that sounds like a horrible situation to get into. Glad that it's now in the past.

It's infuriating to have to convince people of something one is really not. I feel for you, and I hope this kind of situation will never present itself again.

The worst job experiences I've had were usually due to poor leadership. Also being a female in a male dominated field. You gotta be tough lol

Same here, poor leadership is often a key factor.

It's funny, I am a male and in all of the jobs I've ever had, I have been working in female-dominated environments. I'd say the proportion was 90% female in my previous job, and now it's more like 70%. I can't say they are particularly harsh or difficult to deal with; some of them are, most aren't. And the person who tried to get me fired upon arrival was a man :blaugh:

My vanilla job is an office of one. Me. So, there is only one voice in my workplace. I tend to ignore the ones in my head...although I occasionally argue with them...and only worry if I lose the arguments.

You just made my day :laughhard:

Good luck with the new job your doing the right thing by weathering the storm.
I have had this sort of thing in the workplace and i did confront it on a man to man basis a sort of handbags at dawn type of situation it was not the correct way and now iam older i have learn't to be more subtle, and there are always more than one ways to skin a cat.
This last comment and the handbags at dawn are common expressions in the uk and are not intended to offend if anyone one does feel offended then i'am sorry

I must confess, I had to go to a British colleague of mine so he could explain to me what the hell "handbags at dawn" meant. I laughed; it's a cute expression. I use it all the time now ;)

Even in highway maintenance, we act like a bunch of old bitties .. I think it’s just the environment. We spend more time with our co workers than our own families, so shit like that is bound to appear. There’s people in deep, and those like myself that just try to do the job and not break a shovel over someones skull. 3 simple rules: Don’t talk shit; Don’t start shit; Don’t get offended by shit. Alligator skin is a prerequisite.

Even in highway maintenance,.

I feel for anyone who does that vital yet often thankless work. I've seen how asshole drivers treat you all.

On topic most of my working years were spent out on the road away from the office environment and that's the way I liked it.

It seems like every job, no matter white collar, blue collar or whatever has "office drama" or whatever you want to call it.

When my daughter was complaining about her job, I simply asked her "Do you like your job?", she answered yes. I then told her that if you like your job, you do the job to the best of your ability, get along (tolerate) your co-workers and cover your ass.

Barbershopman

I feel for anyone who does that vital yet often thankless work. I've seen how asshole drivers treat you all.

Agreed, they deserve our respect and praise. You should see their working conditions in China, they're even worse :(

On topic most of my working years were spent out on the road away from the office environment and that's the way I liked it.

I know this is gonna sound cliché, but I can't help thinking it's your Texan side talking here. That fierce desire for freedom and independance... ;)

It seems like every job, no matter white collar, blue collar or whatever has "office drama" or whatever you want to call it.

When my daughter was complaining about her job, I simply asked her "Do you like your job?", she answered yes. I then told her that if you like your job, you do the job to the best of your ability, get along (tolerate) your co-workers and cover your ass.

Barbershopman

I agree with you. But I can't help finding a marked difference between, to simplify, my previous academic job (where I was very sheltered) and the "office culture" I am now in, where everything is about money and performance. Rivalries, deceit and double standards abound here, in a context in which each team (or individual) are valued by how much money they bring the company. I knew I was in for a shock, but I hadn't expected it so soon and so impactful, to be honest.

Then again, I love the job. Apart from torturing beautiful women, there are few other things I'd rather be doing. So like your daughter, I'm gonna fight for myself and rise through the ranks. I have a lot of advantages the others don't have :cool:

By the way, you sound like a very good father~

Congratulations, Tenebrae! A lot have happened to you in a span of 10 days with Day 3 as the most epic! It's funny that you love the situation already (with an obvious grin - haha).

Congratulations, Tenebrae! A lot have happened to you in a span of 10 days with Day 3 as the most epic! It's funny that you love the situation already (with an obvious grin - haha).

Thank you dear! Love the support :Kiss2:

This Thursday is gonna be epic too. Gonna have my first business trip. I will have to give a lecture in front of 700+ potential customers. I'm nervous already, hahaha :D

Thank you dear! Love the support :Kiss2:

This Thursday is gonna be epic too. Gonna have my first business trip. I will have to give a lecture in front of 700+ potential customers. I'm nervous already, hahaha :D

Field assignments are exciting, but at times the cause of jealousy from among colleagues... Oh memories! :D

Goodluck dealing with 700 audience... :D

As a guy who manages the offices and secretaries for over half a hospital, I can honestly say there are very little places as toxic in negative human behavior as corporate offices. I've had to put my foot down more than once when an employee goes to far disciplining their subordinate. I refuse to let managers reduce the staff to tears and I don't tolerate backstabbing in the hospital nor do I tolerate staff being fired unless there is a very good and understandable reason. It's put me at odds with the executives of this damn hospital more than once but since we have such a shortage of staff and literally NO ONE applying for positions they don't really have a choice but to let me do my damn job.

Field assignments are exciting, but at times the cause of jealousy from among colleagues... Oh memories! :D

Hahaha, I'm glad that the story of my office adventures are a nice throwback to the "olde days" for you ;)

Don't worry, I'll be fine. If my competence does not see me through, then my overblown confidence should do the trick :D

As a guy who manages the offices and secretaries for over half a hospital, I can honestly say there are very little places as toxic in negative human behavior as corporate offices. I've had to put my foot down more than once when an employee goes to far disciplining their subordinate. I refuse to let managers reduce the staff to tears and I don't tolerate backstabbing in the hospital nor do I tolerate staff being fired unless there is a very good and understandable reason. It's put me at odds with the executives of this damn hospital more than once but since we have such a shortage of staff and literally NO ONE applying for positions they don't really have a choice but to let me do my damn job.

Damn! Honestly though, it sounds like you are doing a good job and have a very humane approach to management. So more power to you! We need more peoole like you in offices :bubble:

Hahaha, I'm glad that the story of my office adventures are a nice throwback to the "olde days" for you ;)

Don't worry, I'll be fine. If my competence does not see me through, then my overblown confidence should do the trick :D

Damn! Honestly though, it sounds like you are doing a good job and have a very humane approach to management. So more power to you! We need more people like you in offices

:goodjob:

Last edited:

:goodjob:

LMFAO! To be honest, for someone newly married like you and beginning to climb the corporate ladder, a gallon of over-confidence is always a win. There must be no room for a pinch of self-pity and inferiority complex. All you need to have is a great strategy and good balance of that damn corporate politics -- oh they never seem to sleep. You just have to glide and play it well like a good hare. Now I am beginning to grin deviously... :D :D :D

Thanks Tenebrae. I think the most sound advice I gave her was cover your ass. If you do that, you can refute most anything that your co-workers might bring to the boss.

In my years in the workforce, I'm kind of glad not to have been in the cutthroat corporate world. I have had jobs that if you do the job, be honest with your co-workers and superiors, you can survive.

Unfortunately, I'm looking for something. I had an interview this past week where I thought it was in my field, and when I got into the interview, I discovered it was a sales position in that field. Now, some people have the knack for a corporate sales position and if you're one of those people, more power to you, but you have to have the right attitude. I'm just not one of those types and I didn't want to sacrifice my health and sanity for something that I knew my heart wasn't into.

Barbershopman

Last edited:
I'm not corporate and I never have been. I'm glad we have a very small work force. I've eliminated anyone I find to be toxic, trying to cultivate a positive work environment. My goal is to put our clients/patients first and provide excellent service and care. Anything else, it wouldn't be worth going to work. I'm happy for you that you are enjoying your new job - good luck with challenges ahead!

So, speaking of office politics, today I fired a security worker who kept leaving his post and harassing one of our younger secretaries. He made her feel unsafe by following her and showing up all the time around her. So, yeah, I don't tolerate that bullshit.

Made me so damn angry as he tried to deny it and then proceeded to blame her but quickly shut up when I showed him video footage of him stalking her. As soon as I verified he had cleaned out his locker and was out I went back to the secretary and we filed a police report with local police.

What's New

4/18/2024
Need to report a post? Click the report button to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back