• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

NFL- I don't know the rules anymore

Barbershopman

TMF Master
The Green Bay Packers tied the Minnesota Vikings 29-29 Sunday. Both had their chances at the end of the game but that's another story for another time. Now that the catch/not a catch rule has been resolved (HAHA), I'd like to tackle (pun intended) the rule of roughing the passer.

With the Packers up 29-21 in the fourth quarter and time running down, Packers linebacker Clay Matthews split the offensive line and delivered a form-perfect tackle on Kirk Cousins. The resulting interception effectively sealed the game. . . except for the yellow laundry on the field. According to the referee, Matthews drove Cousins into the ground prompting a roughing the passer penalty. The Vikings proceeded to score the tying touchdown and two-point conversion. You know the rest of the story.

Now, the purpose of this thread, let's take a look at the form-perfect tackle. Matthews led with his shoulder (correct), hit Cousins in the mid-section (again correct) and the momentum put Cousins on the ground (correct). Pardon me, but isn't that the intent of the entire game??? The ONLY thing Matthews could have done not to be flagged was to defy Newton's third law of gravity, and levitate above Cousins after the hit. Instead, he let his body succumb to the laws of gravity (BASTARD!) and fall on Cousins, prompting the yellow.

I know they are changing the rules to promote player safety, BUT, unless we can change the scientific laws of gravity and (SPOILER ALERT) WE CAN'T, then we are subject to a plethora of yellow on the field that common sense says we shouldn't be subjected to in the first place. In other words-WE NEED TO GET RID OF THIS STUPID INTERPRETATION OF THE ROUGHING THE PASSER RULE!!!!! Now I'm going to go look at pictures of serene landscapes and take a couple of deep breaths to get myself back to normal.

What are your thoughts on this "interpretation" of the roughing the passer rule?

Barbershopman

That call was complete, utter, BS. That rule is complete, utter, BS. For anyone who missed the memo football is a violent game. It's up to the individual to decide if the risk is worth it or not. If not fine, find something else to do.

The Green Bay Packers tied the Minnesota Vikings 29-29 Sunday. Both had their chances at the end of the game but that's another story for another time. Now that the catch/not a catch rule has been resolved (HAHA), I'd like to tackle (pun intended) the rule of roughing the passer.

With the Packers up 29-21 in the fourth quarter and time running down, Packers linebacker Clay Matthews split the offensive line and delivered a form-perfect tackle on Kirk Cousins. The resulting interception effectively sealed the game. . . except for the yellow laundry on the field. According to the referee, Matthews drove Cousins into the ground prompting a roughing the passer penalty. The Vikings proceeded to score the tying touchdown and two-point conversion. You know the rest of the story.

Now, the purpose of this thread, let's take a look at the form-perfect tackle. Matthews led with his shoulder (correct), hit Cousins in the mid-section (again correct) and the momentum put Cousins on the ground (correct). Pardon me, but isn't that the intent of the entire game??? The ONLY thing Matthews could have done not to be flagged was to defy Newton's third law of gravity, and levitate above Cousins after the hit. Instead, he let his body succumb to the laws of gravity (BASTARD!) and fall on Cousins, prompting the yellow.

I know they are changing the rules to promote player safety, BUT, unless we can change the scientific laws of gravity and (SPOILER ALERT) WE CAN'T, then we are subject to a plethora of yellow on the field that common sense says we shouldn't be subjected to in the first place. In other words-WE NEED TO GET RID OF THIS STUPID INTERPRETATION OF THE ROUGHING THE PASSER RULE!!!!! Now I'm going to go look at pictures of serene landscapes and take a couple of deep breaths to get myself back to normal.

What are your thoughts on this "interpretation" of the roughing the passer rule?

Barbershopman

I know nothing of football, but this is the most exceptionally funny rant I have ever seen on the TMF. AND the poster has a point. Excellent job, Barbershopman. You're the man :goodjob:

:man:

In the interest of disclosure, I'm a Packer fan. Also, during the interception that should have effectively won the game for Green Bay, (which got called back after the "penalty") I was jumping up and down, woo-hooing and high fiving my fellow fans. So, I'm biased. But it was still a terrible call.

I can't totally blame the ref though. The rule is important, because of how much of a team's success in the modern NFL depends on having a top notch quarterback on the field. Green Bay's season was ruined last year by a hit on Aaron Rodgers that would have been a penalty under this year's rules.

My opinion is that they should keep doing everything they can to protect quarterbacks, but make roughing the passer a reviewable penalty. I know reviewing penalties is currently against the rules, but if they're going to continue making it so difficult to legally sack the quarterback, I feel like it's a necessary evil.

My opinion is that they should keep doing everything they can to protect quarterbacks, but make roughing the passer a reviewable penalty. I know reviewing penalties is currently against the rules, but if they're going to continue making it so difficult to legally sack the quarterback, I feel like it's a necessary evil.

I get what you are saying Sensualswitch10. What the NFL might/should do is make it a reviewable play similar to the "targeting" rule in college football, where the foul is called, reviewed and then if determined to be a "legal" hit allow the play to stand without being penalized. This is going to be on the NFL to set a rule of "guidelines" as to what determines roughing the passer (ie "lifting the quarterback, driving into the ground"). But, that's maybe where we should be headed. It may take a little longer to play the games, but if the NFL is serious in making player safety a priority, then like you said, it is a "necessary evil".

Barbershopman

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back