• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Underrated Feel-Good Kids Movies

chicago

Focusing on self-care for a couple days, movies from when I was a kid are helping.

I watched The Aristocats last night, thinking about The Black Cauldron, Fern Gully, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and The Sword in the Stone, maybe even Cinderella or Snow White because it's been a long time since I've seen them (though I know they're classics.)

I prefer something a few decades old (90s and earlier, but the older the better) that's not super overdone like Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Pocahontas, Mulan.

And no super sad stuff please, like when Bambi's mom dies, thanks. :)

Any other suggestions? What are your favorite underrated / lesser-known / weird kids movies?

Batman mask of the phantasm - 1993

Johnny Tremain- 1957

20’000 leagues under the sea- 1954

Darby o’gill and the little people- 1959

Honey, I shrunk the kids- 1989

4/5 of them are Disney, but they are Disney gold!

Homeward Bound (1993)
The Brave Little Toaster (1987)
Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland (1989)
World of Strawberry Shortcake (1980: technically a show, but super nostalgic)
The Care Bears Movie (1985)

I'll try to think of more.

Last edited:
How about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? Has a really good soundtrack to go with it as well.

Omg The Brave Little Toaster!!!

Anyone else remember Rock-A-Doodle?

This may or may not be what you’re looking for, but it’s about animation and it’s very feel-good.
It’s a documentary called Frank and Ollie, about two veteran Disney animators who worked on early Disney stuff. From Snow White to The Jungle Book. They talk about the characters and how they went about creating them. They might be the most sweet and charming pair you’ve ever seen.
I could only find it for rent on YouTube, so I would understand not wanting to pay for something you might not enjoy. But I would say this is a must for fans of old Disney animation.
https://youtu.be/OO31pd2l6bc

Edit: There are several scenes of them showing classic animated scene and them acting out said scenes that they animated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may or may not be what you’re looking for, but it’s about animation and it’s very feel-good.
It’s a documentary called Frank and Ollie, about two veteran Disney animators who worked on early Disney stuff. From Snow White to The Jungle Book. They talk about the characters and how they went about creating them. They might be the most sweet and charming pair you’ve ever seen.
I could only find it for rent on YouTube, so I would understand not wanting to pay for something you might not enjoy. But I would say this is a must for fans of old Disney animation.

Edit: There are several scenes of them showing classic animated scene and them acting out said scenes that they animated.

That sounds actually perfect, thank you <3

Watching this now. I love it!

Labyrinth, if you want to get your David Bowie on.
I remember liking The Never Ending Story.
The Dark Crystal was pretty good.

My favorite movie as a child was the original version of The Parent Trap which was released in 1961 when I was 11 years old.
If you have seen it, then the reason that I loved it is obvious. :feets:

Labyrinth, if you want to get your David Bowie on.
I remember liking The Never Ending Story.
The Dark Crystal was pretty good.

I thought about the Never Ending Story but some parts be too sad xD.

The Dark Crystal is one that's been on my list for years so thank you!!

My favorite movie as a child was the original version of The Parent Trap which was released in 1961 when I was 11 years old.
If you have seen it, then the reason that I loved it is obvious. :feets:

Lol

I must admit, kids/family is not one of my favourite film genres... So I'm struggling to come up with anything particularly underrated or obscure lol. The Goonies is probably the only such film that I like as much now as I did when I was a kid. I think it's a humdinger of a film. In fact, I was kinda tempted to give it a mention in Bohemianne's screenplay thread! Then I thought, "Eh... Better not push my luck." lol

I always enjoy looking up people's recommendations for these kinda threads though. Discovering stuff you never even knew existed. Good stuff!

Not kids movies but when my dad died in '12, I became obsessed with old Hollywood. Turner Classic Movies. I fell in love and obsession with Cary Grant.

Here's a clip from one of his films that never ceases me from cracking up.

He and Jimmy Stewart pretty much invented the art of not sticking to their script yet nailing a scene.

Both of them actually teamed up with Katherine Hepburn in another comedy.

Also, just the fashion and grace and style back then. It just pulls you in.

When I was a kid, a few movies I watched all of the time were:

The Sandlot, Breakfast Club, Beethoven, Mrs. Doubtfire, Look Who's Talking, The Goofie Movie, Matilda, The Parent Trap, ect. . . .

Hah, funny you mentioned "Rock-A-Doodle" cause that was the first movie that came to my mind when I saw this thread. I still get shivers when I see the very end of that movie, when the kid/cat starts chanting Chanticleer's name, gets slammed in the head, and then the dog starts saying it, and then everybody else starts. Hit's me right in the feels.

Labyrinth, a cult classic, is definitely up there. I don't know how this movie could have done so poorly but been so brilliant. I'm sure Jim Henderson is at peace now with how well it's respected these days, if still underexposed.

And of course, The Brave Little Toaster. That is an oldie but a goody.

The Goofy Movie as well.

What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back