• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Resident Evil games are shite now, all due to fanboys kissing up to Capcom!

Rare Pearl 8

I just cannot believe how bull shite this series ended up as. I honestly wanted it to go on forever when I was a teenager. Now aged 33... I just wanna see a final 'You Died' message flying across the screen, so Capcom can leave it alone. Besides developing awful spin off games as well, the new RE2 remake was nothing like the first remake we got in 2002 on the GameCube, and they removed a lot of stuff that was in the original too. :dropatear

This all happened because around 2004, Capcom decided to copy action games, because no one was beginning to care about horror stuff, and the outdated camera perspective, and limited controls. And whatnot. Basically, Capcom decided it was best to start ripping off movies and games that were already famous, which none of these fanboys ever seem to talk about. :swayparrot:

Unfortunately, they just absolutely ruined it. You cannot even really get scared any longer. The character Chris Redfield from 1 and most of the others, shows up at the ending of the last one, which is the last game they put out before the crappy RE2 remake. Only instead of looking like he is 50+ with muscles and a beard, he looks 20 again, and looks all wrong and it sounds nothing like him anymore. The games are not even good. I think the reason for this is that they have new staff that never really worked on nor really cared much about the older ones. The story in every new game is normally self-contained, despite supposedly being a sequel. The new monsters are rubbish too compared to the zombies, and other noted creatures you encountered such as the Hunters, Lickers and Tyrants of the classic 90's games. I'm just not really that bothered where this story will go from now on, because I know it will be half baked and a piece of nonsense anyway. :flapflap:

A little bit OT because this is the TMF, but... I am the exact same age as you. And I used to enjoy the Resident Evil games too. My favorite in the series is RE2, as it originally came out on PSX. Just like you, I am no longer interested in what Capcom has to offer with Resident Evil. You raised interesting points, so I would like to further the discussion a little. And I'd like to begin with a disagreement: if indeed the games which followed Resident Evil 4 did not live up to their predecessor's awesomeness, it is not because RE4 had made the series jump the shark. In my view, it is because RE4 did too many things right.

Around 2004, Capcom made a bold and I daresay revolutionary move. Resident Evil 4 was a bloody (literally) masterpiece, and its influence is still felt today. It is a landmark in video gaming, a seminal work which has proven as influential for the games that came after it as had been RE at the time of its release. With influences such as the then recently released Lord of the Rings movies, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Shenmue, and to a lesser extent, TV series such as 24, it redefined the action genre on that generation of gaming systems. A smooth, fast-paced game play, in service of a near-perfect progression. The pacing in this game is really something outstanding for the time: one epic set-piece follows the next, with perfectly chosen moments of calm in between. The player is given a lot of freedom to deal with each (increasingly tense) situation, and most importantly is never confronted to the same problem twice. Here you fight a giant, next you must make your way across a castle's wall while people shoot catapults at you. Another moment you're running for your life away from a giant statue, while later you're gonna be in a tense and exquisitely choreographed knife-fight with a shadow from your past.

By moving the action away from the United States and the endless machinations of Umbrella corp., the developers took a big risk, and yet the end result was worth it. From the run-down Spanish village to the gorgeously-designed castle in the mountains, down to the secret research base (a much more familiar setting to the series' fans), the change is a real breath of fresh air. Game play wise, the shooting feels super satisfying, the upgrade system and economy with the ubiquitous merchant is extremely well thought-out. The then-relatively novel use of QTEs rounds up an already impressive set of features; who has forgotten the Indiana-Jones style boulder, the incredible Del Lago boss (which obviously inspired Assassin Creed IV's whale hunting segments), or the knife-fight with Krauser? Yes, the story was beyond stupid and at times just blantantly an excuse to throw the player into increasingly intense albeit absurd situations. It was not Metal Gear or Star Wars KOTOR for sure. But it did not make the game any less good; and they kept the background of genetic manipulations that was the DNA of the series. Plus, Ada was looking damn good in this one, despite her sadly closed-toe heels.

A lot of people took this smashing success of a formula and made it their own. Cold Fear is a lesser-known example, but can we imagine Dead Space (another masterpiece), the American response to RE4, without Mikami's work? Beyond the horror genre, I'd go even as far as saying that RE4 has indirectly fathered Uncharted, Mass Effect, Gears of War and the Arkham series of Batman games. Seriously, this game should be studied in school.

And as is often the case when such an influential cultural product comes out, Resident Evil 4 was almost too big a monster for its creators. It was impossible to follow up on something this massive: alas RE5 was a massive letdown. It's almost as if the development team had misunderstood what had made the previous one so great. The producers were determined to milk that cow though, which explains the series of turds that came in its wake. I agree all the games that came during that period were a borderline insult to the fans.

However, the developers finally acknowledged they could not keep rehashing the same flawed parody of RE4's formula until the end of times. There has been a recent attempt at another novel approach with the recently released RE7. I haven't played it, but I heard it is good. Yet I am like you: I like the originals A LOT. I finished RE1-2-3 (my god, Nemesis... :bubbleheart:) several times and I loved them - as I said, the 2nd one is my favorite. I enjoyed revisiting the manor in the remake of RE1 originally released on the Gamecube (I have the HD version on my PC on Steam, and I LOVE this game). It was a fantastic piece, the quintessential remake, and I am surprised we don't get other remakes of this quality from other developers. It has it all: the nostalgia factor, modern controls, lots of options, and the awesome feeling of rediscovering a familiar place (lots of the stuff we found back then is still there), while they changed or redesigned enough stuff to still surprise us. I must confess that both my jaw and my controller dropped down to the floor when I had reached the sharks in the basement: so much better than the original!

Needless to say I was hyped when they announced the remake of my favorite game in the series! I was hoping for exactly what RE1's remake had been. When the first images finally had come out, I must confess I felt let down too. But I understand Capcom in a way: they are daring a new approach, trying to resurrect the revolutionary spirit of RE4. I can't say if they have succeeded (I don't think I'll ever play this "new" RE2), but I think I get what they are trying to create there. Now we have an interesting configuration: the remake of RE1 that still stands nowadays (in my view, it's an immortal masterpiece), both gameplay-wise and graphics-wise; RE4 which will remain as one of the greatest games ever created, though it can be argued it is a bit less of an RE game as a result; RE7 and its interesting new approach (new setting/characters, a compelling story this time, on top of a a completely different 1st-person gameplay); and this newer RE2 which tries to synthesize the magic of RE4 while trying to be faithful to the original RE2.

We are 33. To a lot of teenagers and even 20-somethings, RE is mostly the new games. A significant number of gamers now have never played through the original RE1 and RE2. For better or for worse, Capcom thought it best to introduce them to Racoon City through this strangely-made hybrid of a remake rather than following the approach they had for the Gamecube "Rebirth" project. I'd be interested to talk to one of those players so (s)he could tell me how (s)he felt. Did they like it as it stands, or do they feel disconnected to this mythology we discovered back at the tail end of the 90's? Should Capcom have made a game more for us or more for them?

I just cannot believe how bull shite this series ended up as. I honestly wanted it to go on forever when I was a teenager. Now aged 33... I just wanna see a final 'You Died' message flying across the screen, so Capcom can leave it alone. Besides developing awful spin off games as well, the new RE2 remake was nothing like the first remake we got in 2002 on the GameCube, and they removed a lot of stuff that was in the original too. :dropatear

This all happened because around 2004, Capcom decided to copy action games, because no one was beginning to care about horror stuff, and the outdated camera perspective, and limited controls. And whatnot. Basically, Capcom decided it was best to start ripping off movies and games that were already famous, which none of these fanboys ever seem to talk about. :swayparrot:

Unfortunately, they just absolutely ruined it. You cannot even really get scared any longer. The character Chris Redfield from 1 and most of the others, shows up at the ending of the last one, which is the last game they put out before the crappy RE2 remake. Only instead of looking like he is 50+ with muscles and a beard, he looks 20 again, and looks all wrong and it sounds nothing like him anymore. The games are not even good. I think the reason for this is that they have new staff that never really worked on nor really cared much about the older ones. The story in every new game is normally self-contained, despite supposedly being a sequel. The new monsters are rubbish too compared to the zombies, and other noted creatures you encountered such as the Hunters, Lickers and Tyrants of the classic 90's games. I'm just not really that bothered where this story will go from now on, because I know it will be half baked and a piece of nonsense anyway. :flapflap:

I am about to fight you :( RE2 WAS SO GOOD :(((((((((((
But I do agree that they have made some bad decisions. Re7 was good but it should never have been a resident evil but a whole diff game. Re6 was straight shit with one of the worst AIs ever and 5 was amazing if you like COD lol.

What's New

3/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you up to date on where and when folk are meeting up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back