• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

NHL playoffs, anybody following them?

Unfortunately, because of my schedule, I haven't had a chance to follow the NHL as much as I would've liked to. (A Canadian hockey fan, surprise surprise)

The upside about living in Montreal right now, is that most bars won't be as packed because the Habs aren't in the Playoffs this year.
But for the team I'm rooting for, the next big thing is Pittsburgh. As a fellow Maritimer, I gotta go for my boy Crosby. Who knows, we might win 4 in a row. :cynical:

I follow the Caps, and hope they can repeat this year.

Two big surprising trends this year: the Islanders are one game away from eliminating the Penguins, and the President's trophy winner the Tampa Bay Lightning 3-0 versus the Blue Jackets.

Funny thing is my daughter's favorite player/team is William Karlsson and the Vegas Golden Knights. I still have to give her crap for Vegas losing last years' Stanley Cup finals, to my Caps. Of course, she tells me the Caps were lucky last year, we'll see.

Barbershopman

Last edited:
I'm just hoping a Canadian team wins the Stanley cup this time. Probably won't be the case, but who knows.

I thought that the tampa bay lightning were going to steamroll through it all... my god. Columbus is just going through them rather easily. This is what makes the NHL playoffs so interesting.

Wow! The Penguins AND the Lightning both out after sweeps! The Blue Jackets and the Islanders both played suffocating defense and move on.

Crosby was held without a single point in the series, that is unbelievable!!

Barbershopman

No since my team isn't in it and hasn't been in the playoffs for many years now. Hockey, baseball and basketball have very long seasons and I don't pay attention to any of them until it's playoff time and only if my team happens to be in it. Other than that, I just stick with the NFL.

I'm kind of the same way. The hockey, basketball, and baseball seasons are too long for me to be fully invested in the entire season unless I'm invested in the team, like the Caps. I am invested in the full season of the NFL. I will follow the playoffs of all four major sports leagues because that is usually when the games get interesting, and the play gets good.

Barbershopman

Well, history in the making. The Calgary Flames lost to the Avalanche losing the series 4-1.

This marks the first time in NHL history that the top two seeds have lost in the first round. The Flames and the Tampa Bay Lightning only won one game between them and were outscored by 19 goals.

Barry Melrose, the ESPN hockey analyst attributes this to both teams skating (pun intended) through the latter part of the season and not really being tested. They got into the playoffs and were lethargic because they weren't prepared for the competition, and got bounced.

So now, both number one seeds are out and the field is wide open. Should be exciting.

Barbershopman

St Louis takes out Winnipeg behind Jaden Schwatz's hat trick. The Blues will face the winner of Dallas/Nashville series in the second round.

Barbershopman

Wow, what a first round! For the first time in NHL history, the top teams in each conference and all division winners were ousted. That means the Stanley Cup will go to an underdog from the first round and a new team for the 19th time in 20 seasons.

Now that my Caps have been eliminated (thanks Hurricanes:Grrr: ), I was hoping that the Maple Leafs could take Boston in game 7 but alas, they got destroyed 5-1.

I said that my daughter and I have had friendly banter for Vegas and my Caps, but since both are out we agree that we are both rooting for the Islanders. So here's hoping both of us can save face and root the Islanders on to the Cup.

Barbershopman

I guess the thing I love most about hockey is that, unlike football, basketball or baseball, having home ice isn't as much of an advantage. A bad puck bounce here, an injury or bad penalty there, a goalie having a bad game can happen equally to the home or visiting team in any game.

Add to the fact that these guys are some of the toughest athletes in sports. A hockey player can take a puck or a stick to the face, go to the training room, get stitched up and not miss a shift. The one thing I can compare it to is Jack Youngblood continuing to play in the 1979 post season with a broken leg.

Barbershopman

I've been kicking myself that I haven't had a chance to really follow the Playoffs this year. But starting tonight, I'm making a point of it. Starting with the NYI vs Carolina match.

I guess the thing I love most about hockey is that, unlike football, basketball or baseball, having home ice isn't as much of an advantage. A bad puck bounce here, an injury or bad penalty there, a goalie having a bad game can happen equally to the home or visiting team in any game.

Add to the fact that these guys are some of the toughest athletes in sports. A hockey player can take a puck or a stick to the face, go to the training room, get stitched up and not miss a shift. The one thing I can compare it to is Jack Youngblood continuing to play in the 1979 post season with a broken leg.

Barbershopman
Well said!

Barbershopman

I never thought of that, however you do have a good point.

Couple of thoughts before two game 6s tonight.

First, I think the Blue Jackets take care of business tonight and force a game 7 in Boston. Added to this the fact that Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella guaranteed a win tonight to force a game 7.

I look for the Sharks to do the same in the Shark Tank and force a game 7 back in Colorado versus the Avalanche.

In game 7 tomorrow night, I'm hoping the Stars can get a victory on the road against the Blues.

What say you?

Barbershopman

After a supposed Boston goal, the Blue Jackets challenged, and it was determined that there was goalie interference.

While the refs were looking at the video, over the public address system, they played Billy Joel's "The Longest Time". I'm assuming for how long it was taking the refs to make the decision.

I wonder if the same thing was happening at Churchill Downs while the stewards were looking at the video of the Kentucky Derby Saturday! :laughhard:

Barbershopman

McAvoy's hit to Anderson in the final minute of the second period was a bad, bad, call.

McAvoy only got a 2 minute penalty. McAvoy's shoulder contacted Anderson's jaw, his JAW! No glancing blow, it was a solid hit. Mike Emery and Mike Milbury were calling the game and both were shocked that McAvoy not only didn't get a five minute major, but didn't get a game misconduct. I think the league will take a look at this play and if there is a game 7, I don't think McAvoy will be a part of it. I wonder if Anderson will come back to this game or if he will be able to play a possible game 7.

Blue Jackets fans have been razzing Marchand the whole game. I think they just found someone they want to vent their anger at a little more.

It will be interesting to see if Columbus can tie the game with the power play at the beginning of the third period.

Barbershopman

Well, no comeback for Columbus. Tuukka Rask stopped 39 shots and Boston beat the Blue Jackets 3-0. Rask had a heck of a game but Columbus had a series of bad breaks. They hit the pipe 4 times, just a inch or two and they get back in the game. It was a very good game.

Good note Anderson was back for the start of the third period, and better yet, in the handshake line, McAvoy and Anderson were very civil toward one another despite the hit.

The handshake line at the end of a playoff series is another of the traditions I like about hockey. Yes, you fight like hell for 60 minutes, but at the end of the game, you man up and congratulate the men you fought so hard against, wishing them well in the next series or congratulating the for a well fought series and wishing them well in the off-season.

Now onto Colorado to see if the Av's can stave off elimination and force game 7 or if the Sharks move one step closer to their second Stanley Cup appearance and their first Stanley Cup.

Barbershopman

Last edited:
Boston's McAvoy is suspended for tonight's game one of the Eastern Conference Final versus Carolina for his hit on Anderson.

The Western Conference final pits the St. Louis Blues versus the San Jose Sharks.

The Eastern finals don't really interest me although I'm leaning for Carolina. For the Western finals I'm hoping the Sharks can take care of the Blues.

Being originally from western Missouri, I'm kind of soured on anything St. Louis. Besides I had a former co-worker (who was from Kansas City) who would tout anything from St. Louis as the best thing since sliced bread, kind of irritated me.

Besides, Kansas City had an hockey team called the Blades, who were once the IHL affiliate of the Sharks. Arturs Irbe, who was a goalie for the Sharks in the 90's was the Blades goalie in the early days of the team.

So I'm leaning toward a Sharks-Hurricanes final with San Jose raising the Cup. But who knows, I've already rooted for two teams who got bounced.

Barbershopman

So, it's finally on, Bruins versus Blues.

This is a rematch of the NHL finals that occurred 49 years ago, when I was 1. However, there are backstories to this match-up. The Blues had the worst record in the NHL at one point, fired their coach, and then went on a heck of a run. To quote Darth Varder in The Empire Strikes Back "Impressive".

The Bruins are back in the Finals for the third time in the last 10 years, and are 8 years removed from their last Championship. They face a St. Louis team that are in the Finals for the first time since 1970.

The previous Finals match-up between these two ended in game 4 with the iconic photo of Bobby Orr parallel to the ice after scoring the winning goal. I wonder if this finals will offer up such an iconic story or photo.

Barbershopman

What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back