• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Notre Dame Cathedral devastated by fire.

I've been depressed the whole day about that :sadcry: When I saw the video of the spire collapsing, my heart literally missed a beat.

Although the damage was somehow contained, the world still has lost a priceless piece of architecture. Some of the woodwork there dated as far back as the 12th century. And all the paintings inside... Goddamn!

It will be restored five years from now is what I am hearing.

I've been depressed the whole day about that :sadcry: When I saw the video of the spire collapsing, my heart literally missed a beat.

Although the damage was somehow contained, the world still has lost a priceless piece of architecture. Some of the woodwork there dated as far back as the 12th century. And all the paintings inside... Goddamn!

Relax- all's not lost. Apart from stone, oak was the best and most durable material available when the cathedral was built. Since we have better substances today, let these products of human ingenuity and progress be used in the cathedral's construction in order to restore it to its previous condition, improved by the discoveries of the modern era.

And as a bonus think of all the work that now will be provided for those practitioners of ancient decorative trades- masons, woodcarvers, slaters and gilders will not only be able to practice their traditional crafts but also have the opportunity to train a new generation of apprentices.

When I saw the video of the spire collapsing, my heart literally missed a beat.

Evocative of the televised fall of the Twin Towers for many Americans of my generation, though of course no loss of human life at all in this case, only injuries incurred by a few of the brave first responders.

It will be restored five years from now is what I am hearing.
That's what the president says, but I am skeptical.

As an enfant de la Patrie, how do you feel about Édouard Philippe's statement that the new spire should be "adapted [to reflect] the techniques and challenges of our era," or that an exorbitant amount of money has already been (privately) pledged for the cathedral's rebuilding in light of the "economic justice"-based unrest that's been roiling the country?

let these products of human ingenuity and progress be used in the cathedral's construction in order to restore it to its previous condition, improved by the discoveries of the modern era

Yes, fascinating article here about work that had already been done to catalog digitally in 3-D the very essence of its architecture.

As an enfant de la Patrie, how do you feel about Édouard Philippe's statement that the new spire should be "adapted [to reflect] the techniques and challenges of our era."

I'm conflicted about rebuilding Notre Dame to reflect the challenged and issues of today instead of rebuilding it in as much of a classical sense as possible. On one hand I feel a more modern take could better illuminate the issues France and Europe faces today as as stimulate discussion on how to solve said issues.

On the other hand, I loved the classic arcitecture, paintings, and just the historic beauty of classic Notre Dame. Granted I don't know how much of the Cathedral and artwork was lost but rebuilding it in a new light while disregarding it's history kind of pains me.

Or that an exorbitant amount of money has already been (privately) pledged for the cathedral's rebuilding in light of the "economic justice"-based unrest that's been roiling the country?

That I agree is kind of absurd. Almost a billion (or possibly over) for it's rebuilding seems excessive though I'm not sure what the total cost of any rebuilding of Notre Dame would be. Ironic that so many wealthy patrons would spend so much money on a lost structure of historical and religious importance and yet ignore the sheer poverty affliction almost half the population of France.

The fact a billion or better has been pledged is great. The affluent have every right to use their monies they have in any way they see fit - even if some don't agree with it. I think it's admirable that they value Notre Dame to such an iconic stature.

The fact a billion or better has been pledged is great. The affluent have every right to use their monies they have in any way they see fit - even if some don't agree with it. I think it's admirable that they value Notre Dame to such an iconic stature.

Do they have the right to spend their money the way they want, yes, they do. Is it ethical and morally sound to value a historical location over actual people living in poverty? Probably not.

Depends on your point of view, tho I certainly wouldn't say poverty is a good thing. However, the affluent aren't responsible for them but the government could probably take some steps to make conditions better so that poverty can be mitigated. However, that's really outside the scope of the discussion. Can't wait to see what the new structure looks like when it's built.

Do they have the right to spend their money the way they want, yes, they do. Is it ethical and morally sound to value a historical location over actual people living in poverty? Probably not.

Hello all! Before I delve into the details, I would like to thank all of you for your messages of sympathy, as well as for the interesting questions that you have raised :Kiss2:

:ty:

Evocative of the televised fall of the Twin Towers for many Americans of my generation, though of course no loss of human life at all in this case, only injuries incurred by a few of the brave first responders.

To be honest, I wouldn't even dare to compare the two tragedies. One was a deliberate terrorist attack which caused the death of thousands of innocent people. What has afflicted Notre Dame, tragic as it has been, is not as much an attack against the nation, and more a "disaster" of sorts. Although I absolutely do not believe the official version and find suspicious the insistence of the authorities that this was an "accident" even before the investigation has started. I see what you mean, and I also felt very bad when I saw the Twin Towers falling, but the sadness, grief and rage that I am feeling at the moment is not of the same nature as the one every American must have felt on that fateful September morning.

As an enfant de la Patrie, how do you feel about Édouard Philippe's statement that the new spire should be "adapted [to reflect] the techniques and challenges of our era," or that an exorbitant amount of money has already been (privately) pledged for the cathedral's rebuilding in light of the "economic justice"-based unrest that's been roiling the country?

As an enfant de la Patrie, I feel extremely underwhelmed, if not downward angry at the government's response so far.

A) This kind of things should not happen in the first place. A work of renovation of this magnitude should include a state-of-the-art fire detection system, a 24/7 watch, and competent workers. Plus, the lead architect (who happens to be in China at the moment) has said publicly that such an old woodwork is very hardly flammable, if not noninflammable, without the use of a powerful accelerant.

B) I find the idea to "adapt" the "new" spire to the "challenges of our times" and all the talk about "leaving our mark on Notre-Dame" outrageous, to use a polite term. Typical of the hybris of our times. This idea of an international contest (concours) of architects is the worst idea of the century. Why not a Starbucks at the entrance and a helipad on the top?! :sowrong: This is no time for showing off one's "personality" or "style", this is a time to be humble and acknowledge our own insignificance in front of what our ancestors have bequeathed to us.

I understand of course we might use machines this time around, which said ancestors did not have. Also, no need to necessarily find 1000+ years old wood to rebuild the woodwork. What's gone is gone and won't be back. But that does not mean that we can't pay homage to the past, in a humble and respectful way. That's what I hope the reconstruction is going to be about.

C) I feel very happy that money has poured in from all over the world to help us rebuild. I do not understand the ridiculous polemic that surrounds this beautiful moment of solidarity and generosity. Of course there are poor people in France (and around the world), but we are talking about our heritage here. I support the Gilets Jaunes, just like them I believe that the French middle and working classes are paying too many taxes, to a State that too often proves to be inefficient (as evidenced by the fire at Notre-Dame). But I don't think diverting the money of the reconstruction towards them is going to solve anything. I am even willing to bet that the Gilets Jaunes mostly support the reconstruction of this national symbol.

Finally, I would like to reiterate that it is very heartwarming to see that so many people care. Even here of all places. Thank you all, really! :bubbleheart:

Also, no need to necessarily find 1000+ years old wood to rebuild the woodwork.

Une toiture en verre--"Glass is the new wood" (maybe):

Godart-projet-notre-dame.png

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back