• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Audio Book Recommendations

DeviousDave21

TMF Poster
I listen to audio books at the gym and when walking but I've finished the ones I was listening too and now I'm looking for something new, does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm open to any and all suggestions but I generally listen to non fiction. I like history (Greek / Roman), science, philosophy, politics. The last couple I listened to were "12 Rules For Life" by Jordan Peterson and "A Classical Education" by Caroline Taggart. I've listened to quite a lot of stuff regarding Greek / Roman history so I'd like to take a break from that, I'm still thinking over 12 rules for life so don't fancy another self help type book at the moment. I'm thinking something relating to history or politics maybe? Something to do with the British Empire or South East Asia perhaps?

Like I said I'm open to anything, just want to know if anyone has a book they've read or listened to that they think is really top tier or has really blown them away (preferably non fiction)

Try the BBC's Lord of the Rings Drama (starring Ian Holm, Michael Hordern, and Robert Stephens).

Also try some Star Wars Legends (aka Expanded Universe) audio books. The Thrawn Trilogy is amazing! :D

Terry Pratchett's (RIP) Discworld Novels, they're very clever and very funny :)

I haven't heard that many audiobooks but Jeremy Irons reading "Lolita" is really excellent, already one of the most beautifully written books in English (and it was written by a Russian!) and it is so well-written that it just sounds great spoken out loud. Jeremy Irons played the lothario Hubert Humbert in the 80s remake and did not improve on James Mason's definitive performance in the Stanley Kubrick version, that's virtually impossible. But hearing Nabakov's amazing writing in Irons' voice is as good as its going to get, at least in this lifetime!

Here's the beginning.

David Sedaris "Santaland Diaries" is hilarious, I listen to that around Xmastime with my aunt. That's part of a collection, "Barrel Fever", and I believe it also appears in another book of his "Holidays On Ice". It's a little too early for a Christmas story, but I see You Tube has the story, to give you a taste. SO funny.

For nonfiction/biography type stuff: any John Lennon fans might want to listen to Elliot Mintz's beautiful remembrance of his friend (and employer) in a 6-part essay he wrote, read, and posted on You Tube. Not quite an audiobook, each part is about 13 minutes long so.....it's LIKE an audiobook. Here's the playlist.....It's just a series of random memories but, let's face it: anything that brings Lennon back to life, even for just a little bit, is precious . It's been years since I listened to it, I don't remember many details but what I do remember is, for me at least, the last line of the whole thing is a killer, and says all you need to know about the man.

Here's part 1:

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations all :) think that's given me some good stuff. I might try discworlds next as I've heard a lot about that recently, liking all the other recommendations as well though :)

The Dresden Files, written by Jim Butcher, narrated by James Marsters of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame.

If you're not familiar with Louis Theroux, he's a british fellow that makes documentaries. His early ones, "Weird Weekends", can be found on Youtube, and feature people and the things they do. His book called "The Call of the Weird" has him reconnecting with some of those people. Narrated by Mr. Theroux, himself. It's sort and fun.

"The Republic of Pirates" by Colin Woodard is fantastic. It has some brilliant tales of the age of pirates and is packed full of trivia tid bits.

If you've any interest in video games, there's "Hey Listen! A Journey Through the Golden Era of Video Games" by Steve McNeil. It's quite funny. It comes across as almost a list of terrible business decisions by many games companies, and although it zips through names of games, companies and people at a high rate, it does a good job of not being overwhelming. It's a fairly easy book to get through.

Also, if you have Audible, you could try "West Cork", which is free. It's actually a podcast rather than a book, and is a set of interviews a couple did with people involved in an unsolved murder in the 90's. It centres around the main suspect and is one of those stories that'll having your opinion on whether they're guilty or not change with each chapter.

What's New

4/18/2024
Need to report a post? Click the report button to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back