• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Repression

Bohemianne

Verified
Somehow, I have this strong belief that if you repress a lot of feelings within yourself and simply hold back the urge to vent at the heat of the moment, your physiological defense mechanism will manage to find means to vent it all out anyway in another way at another time. Say, creatively...

And if I am wrong even with the context of this thread, any psychologist in the house could correct me. It doesn't mean that I would get convinced.

Discuss.

Well, if I read you well, this sounds a lot to me like the concept of delaying an immediate pleasure for the purpose of a much more satisfying outcome. I call it colloquially the "rubber principle": the further you stretch a rubber band, the stronger it will whip when it's released, along with its oddly satisfying cracking sound.

Studies are like that. You can stop at your Bachelor or delay the pleasure of graduating in favor of 5+ years of suffering and living like a monk, writing a thesis... with the goal of the much more satisfying gratification of hearing people call you "Dr" for the rest of your life. :p

Anyone who's ever been in bed with a woman can also testify on the results of such a principle when applied to her orgasm; with hopefully a shorter delay than the one mentioned in the example above :D

As for feelings, I think it's as you say: they find a way out, stronger and more satisfyingly. It's an excellent fuel for creativity too; in fact the greatest paintings, movies and songs stem from repressed, sometimes negative (self-loathing, violence, jealousy) feelings which have found a way out in a sublime way.

But as in all things, it's a balance. Too much repression can lead to personality disorders, or push one to seek socially unsuitable ways to release.

I do believe however that in this day and age, it's the opposite. A lot of people are unable to accept and control this repression, whether self-imposed or not. It's a maturity thing, IMO, this inability to deal with frustration, delays and interdiction; very much like little kids. I have always highly regarded this phrase quoted by Albert Camus from his father: "Un homme, ça s'empêche"

As a final note, I am very curious as to what motivated you to share these thoughts with us. I don't want to pry, though~

Repressing the venting of frustration can lead to bursts of creativity but it's never a good idea to repress mental pain and agony.

Well, if I read you well, this sounds a lot to me like the concept of delaying an immediate pleasure for the purpose of a much more satisfying outcome. I call it colloquially the "rubber principle": the further you stretch a rubber band, the stronger it will whip when it's released, along with its oddly satisfying cracking sound.

Studies are like that. You can stop at your Bachelor or delay the pleasure of graduating in favor of 5+ years of suffering and living like a monk, writing a thesis... with the goal of the much more satisfying gratification of hearing people call you "Dr" for the rest of your life. :p

Anyone who's ever been in bed with a woman can also testify on the results of such a principle when applied to her orgasm; with hopefully a shorter delay than the one mentioned in the example above :D

Hmmm... My mind sort of went to places after reading you. That principle is practically inherent around here. ;)

As for feelings, I think it's as you say: they find a way out, stronger and more satisfyingly. It's an excellent fuel for creativity too; in fact the greatest paintings, movies and songs stem from repressed, sometimes negative (self-loathing, violence, jealousy) feelings which have found a way out in a sublime way.

But as in all things, it's a balance. Too much repression can lead to personality disorders, or push one to seek socially unsuitable ways to release.

I do believe however that in this day and age, it's the opposite. A lot of people are unable to accept and control this repression, whether self-imposed or not. It's a maturity thing, IMO, this inability to deal with frustration, delays and interdiction; very much like little kids. I have always highly regarded this phrase quoted by Albert Camus from his father: "Un homme, ça s'empêche"

Speaking of creative personalities... Van Gogh and Edgar Allan Poe had it at extremes.

Hmmm... Talking about maturity, now you made me think. Was it because some people have a way with their ego? They could either tame or let it run wild...

Or maybe, the society is indirectly vile, a certain culture fuels repression.

Digital age. People who hides behind anonymity are vocal and are less inhibited to do crazy things. What they repress in real life gets easily squealed here.

As a final note, I am very curious as to what motivated you to share these thoughts with us. I don't want to pry, though~

A lot of things, lol. Been also thinking, how will it be if everyone won't repress themselves and just simply execute all emotions in all spur of moments... :D

...but it's never a good idea to repress mental pain and agony.

How so?

Hmmm... My mind sort of went to places after reading you. That principle is practically inherent around here. ;)

The rubber principle? Maybe for some, but tickling takes many different shapes and can be received differently, so I don't think it applies systematically. I give it to you though, it fits perfectly, which is probably why it has occurred to me in the first place :blaugh: Like Master CAB says (and has told me many times), you are what you eat.

It's a pleasure to take your mind to places. Hope you enjoy the ride~

Speaking of creative personalities... Van Gogh and Edgar Allan Poe had it at extremes.

Oh my god you're so RIGHT on that one :iagree: If we start listing people whose obsession led to the sublimest artistic creations, it would take us several days!

That's probably why my writing is still so shitty: I am too happy every day, all the time, to gather the amount of negative energy required to, like Meangry (a fellow user here, and a better author than I am) says "sit at the typewriter and bleed" :D

Hmmm... Talking about maturity, now you made me think. Was it because some people have a way with their ego? They could either tame or let it run wild...

IMO, it's not about their ego being too big. In fact, I find most people, especially the younger ones, to be extremely lacking in the ego department, with self-confidence issues, lack of ambition, low self-esteem, etc... It has more to do, in my opinion, with a super-ego that has not been developed enough, or in the most extreme cases, is nonexistent. Whatever impulse or frustration they experience is not reined in nor channeled properly through the use of restraint and self-control. One thing, in my opinion that should clearly separate the adults from the children.

Or maybe, the society is indirectly vile, a certain culture fuels repression.

I wouldn't say that society is vile; societies (plural) are very diverse, culturally and spiritually. Even amongst the Western societies alone, there is a world of difference between America and a country like France, for instance. Granted, the decadence and corruption is both deep-rooted and generalized in all of them (and I think that's what you were getting at), but it metastasizes in different ways. The means to combat it vary also a lot. In the end, it is up to each of us to find our own balance; I think I have largely succeeded in that, myself.

Digital age. People who hides behind anonymity are vocal and are less inhibited to do crazy things. What they repress in real life gets easily squealed here.

While it raises concerns, especially in the realm of privacy, the digital age has also allowed a lot of people a way to release a lot of accumulated frustration, and more crucially, to connect with each other. I am very glad I get to exchange with like-minded people regularly here, and also get to collect so much tickling art. And I do believe that, in the long run since I discovered it, made me a better person. More balanced and less obsessive. Also more fluent in English :p :usa:

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back