• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Remember when our food was "SAFE" to eat?

BlasterMaster

1st Level Yellow Feather
Remember when the food industry was regulated enough that we knew our peanut butter didn't contain rat shit or our chicken wasn't boiled in water tainted by fecal matter or when our wheat and grain products weren't sprained by a cancer causing pesticide or our bottled water didn't come from a hose in Chicago?

It's a complex matter, and I share your concern to an extent. Is the situation really that bad in America and what would you propose to fix it?

On a side note, and this is a serious question, not a troll: remember when we did not obsess so much about safety and simply... lived our lives?

I think it's the opposite - we're more informed now, but in the past food was completely unregulated and it wasn't "rat hair" in your hot dog, it was "worker who died by accidentally falling into the grinder."

I think it's the opposite - we're more informed now, but in the past food was completely unregulated and it wasn't "rat hair" in your hot dog, it was "worker who died by accidentally falling into the grinder."

Jesus H Christ, I wonder how many times I've actually eaten a human being without knowing :D

Jesus H Christ, I wonder how many times I've actually eaten a human being without knowing :D

Not today, I wouldn't think - but a hundred years ago, when Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle and exposed what was going on in the meat packing industry? Almost certainly yes. :)

Not today, I wouldn't think - but a hundred years ago, when Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle and exposed what was going on in the meat packing industry? Almost certainly yes. :)

I imagine. For an accident of such a spectacular nature, I am pretty sure that you'd hear about it, and that the subsequent talk around it would push the people in charge of the factory to be careful. Equally disturbing as it is fascinating, in a Soylant Green kinda way.

Which brings us to an interesting point: industrialization and its corollary mass production. It is sort of inevitable, given the amount of people we need to feed, but it raises questions. My father still buys his chickens and fish alive from local farms, and kills them himself (it's actually a lot of fun; used to love that as a kid), before preparing them. So does my family in law, which in recent years has allowed me to partake in such activities, a delightful throwback to my childhood. I especially like gutting fish; I find it a relaxing process. When you do that, you're sure the food you're gonna cook and eat is fresh and relatively healthy, bar all the shit that gets sprinkled in the air or pumped into the soil by third parties, without the farmer's knowledge.

Two side notes to this. One is that as I traveled, I found that different countries have different acceptions of what "healthy food" is. Broadly speaking, people tend to like "standardized" and industrially sterilized food in the north of Europe, because they deem it to be germ-free. In the south of Europe, on the other hand, "healthy" means, natural "direct-from-the-farm" kind of products. The other observation is that industrial standards tend to vary a lot. In the US and the UK, it is considered acceptable to wash meat with chloride to kill all the germs in it, while in most parts of Europe that practice was considered (until recently) to be too much of a risk for the consumer, which led to a long-lasting ban on American chicken meat. Hilariously from a French perspective, some French cheeses are considered "biohazard" by US customs because of the high amount of bacteria that develop within them, and their importation is therefore banned as a result :blaugh:

I think to an extent this heightened awareness stems from the fact that we know a lot more about the consequences of ingesting certain products and we have become much better at tracing conditions or diseases back to specific sources. It probably reflects an increased industrial capacity level as well as we deal with more finishing products rather than de novo assembly.
But, given the recent lawsuits alleging a chemical glyphosate (roundup) was the cause of some cases of non-Hodgkin Lymphoma being successful I do think there's a serious lack of understanding the difference between correlation and causation and how to read scientific data in general.
As a scientist, that's my two cents anyway.
HappyD

When I read The Jungle in high school, the one description that stuck with me the most was this:
Each morning, the first meat to come out of the meat grinders was the bodies of the rats who until that minute had been alive and eating the scraps inside the grinders. :pukefight: That almost made me give up eating hamburgers and hot dogs at the time.

When I read The Jungle in high school, the one description that stuck with me the most was this:
Each morning, the first meat to come out of the meat grinders was the bodies of the rats who until that minute had been alive and eating the scraps inside the grinders. :pukefight: That almost made me give up eating hamburgers and hot dogs at the time.

To be honest, I heard that the rats which live in the countryside fields of southern China are delicious :D And I'd rather eat 10 rats than one human being. But the type of rats they must have had in those grinders must have been the dirty urban types, so that's still a no-no :sowrong:

That being said, I can imagine the guy selling hot-dogs ask his customers: "Would you have a hot-dog? Or would you have a hot-rat, at a discounted price? A hot-man maybe?" The latter giving a whole new meaning to the word "wiener" :blaugh:

I agree with TMFJeff. We are lucky now that we know exactly what is in our food.

My husband and I follow an insanely strict diet and grow food for ourselves. We don’t buy processed foods of any kind and yada yada, I could go on forever.

Just take the fact that you can research, make your own decisions, and trust your gut.

But yes, it’s terrifying how bad the food is.

Yeah, I remember. It's right now.

I have worked as a chef and as a quality assurance tech for a large commissary kitchen that served multiple locations, also made food and packaged it as part of an organic gluten-free meal subscription kit.

We were regulated by the county, the state, and the USDA. The amount of work that goes into making a HACCP plan, the amount of documentation needed from step 1 to packaging the food, it has become almost cumbersome to the process of actually making the food safely / correctly, if that makes sense.

The various protocols become near impossible to complete at the same time as making a correct finished product because every time you have to record a food temperature, you have to re-wash your hands and change your gloves to avoid cross-contamination among other things. You can't have pens with detachable caps in that environment, no paperclips, no jewelry, no staples. If you are processing a case of produce, you can't put the box on the table and you can't put the box on the floor because the box itself has been contaminated by the outside and in transit and you can't put it on the floor because that's gross, so you have to have a cart specifically for moving those boxes of produce.

When produce would arrive daily, I would have to check every single box (sometimes hundreds of boxes) of various things from romaine lettuce to milk. I had to record expiration dates and figure that into the dish that ingredient was going to be used and the shelf life of the end product and if the life of the milk would make sense for us to accept. I have returned produce that I would eat myself because I saw one cherry tomato with a bit of mold on it.

My worry is that all this documentation is going to make it impossible to make food safely, efficiently, and cost-effective because pretty soon there's going to be more and more cases of pencil whipped reports because of the pressure to get the product out fast.

I would still say that generally, food is safer today than it has ever been.

What's New

4/16/2024
Clips4Sale is the webs largest site to buy fetish clips! Visit today.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back