• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Some scientific papers: Right foot more sensitive? Women more ticklish?

omnifeller

TMF Master
I always thought UCSD professor Christine Harris was the only one to do any significant research on tickling, but I came across these recently (copy+paste the links into your browser to see the articles):

"Right-sided asymmetry in sensitivity to tickle"
doi.org/10.1080/713754413

These researchers found that the right foot is significantly more ticklish than the left, when tickled with a "pointed nylon rod". An excerpt from the article, since it is behind a paywall:

"Subjects then completed a questionnaire devised to
determine attitudes to tickle (Fridlund & Loftis, 1990). The questionnaire used
eight of the nine items, and item 8 (‘‘I blush easily’’) was replaced by the item
‘‘I find that being tickled is painful’’. Subjects were then seated, shoes and socks
removed from both feet, while one of the investigators (JLS) applied the tickle
stimuli. Three tickle strokes were made over 3 seconds: forward, backward, and
forward synchronised with a metronome beat set at one-second intervals. The
tickle stimulus was applied to one foot, followed, within one minute, by the
same stimulus applied to the other foot."

"Laterality of Tickle Sensation Produced by Self-Stimulation"
journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.2466/27.CP.4.17

These researchers concluded that the self-tickle sensation was stronger when using the opposite hand to tickle the opposite foot. Reactions were rated by the subjects as well as by observers. Notably, according to the researchers, "this was the first experimental study, to our knowledge, to find evidence of sex differences in tickle responses." Looking at tables 1 and 2, the women had consistently higher ticklishness ratings. I don't think this proves women are more ticklish than men; rather, men are often pressured socially to react less to things. Also, as the researchers noted, they only had female experimenters, which could have affected the readouts.

Personally, I don't think either of these studies had a large enough sample size to draw conclusions on the whole human race, but found the articles to be entertaining reads. Let me know your thoughts!

thats how its always been for me, right half of all my tickle spots are more intense haha, wonder if its the left side for left handers? or left for left brain dominant and whether a corpus callosum split changed anything...

"Women more ticklish"
uhm no... do they know every woman in the world that is living now, has ever lived or is gonna be born in the future? NO so that can never be stated as a fact
Im way more ticklish than my girlfriend for example

"researches" like this can never be taken seriously for 100%

side note; my left foot is more ticklish than my right foot and that counts for a lot of people

Ah nice, thanks! Paywalls are the worst. I always support any way to circumvent paywalled research articles!

"Women more ticklish"
uhm no... do they know every woman in the world that is living now, has ever lived or is gonna be born in the future? NO so that can never be stated as a fact
Im way more ticklish than my girlfriend for example

"researches" like this can never be taken seriously for 100%

side note; my left foot is more ticklish than my right foot and that counts for a lot of people

The researchers never made that claim. My bad for putting it the title of my post :D

While interesting to read, I doubt the conclusions. More study needed! :devil:

I'd always heard the folk wisdom that the non-dominant side was more ticklish, i.e., the left foot more ticklish for most right-handed people. It's interesting that this study appears to contradict that received wisdom.

I agree that you can't really draw conclusions from this work, but mainly I just enjoy the fact that people are being recruited for tickling studies. I'd totally sign up if I was on a college campus that had these :D

I think it depends on each person, but let’s test everyone a few times and find out. Then double check and triple check.

Door 44 Productions
What's New

4/19/2024
Check out the huge number of thicklign clips that can be found at Clips4Sale. The webs biggest fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back