• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Great cover songs!

Everyone raves about Jeff Buckley's cover of "Hallelujah" (deservedly so)....but to those of us who were into Jeff when he was alive, and when the album first came out, it was actually thought of as part of a pair of covers on that album, the other being his transcendent version of Nina Simone's "Lilac Wine". (she didn't write it, but did the most well-known version of it). For some reason, "Hallelujah" gradually eclipsed "Lilac Wine" (maybe because it's easier to play and sing), and it totally irks me that now when people sing "Hallelujah"(which very few did before Buckley), they are doing his arrangement. In other words, they're covering the cover (which is a lame thing to do, in my opinion....I'm talking to you Justin Timberlake!) (but not you, Kate McKinnon!).

So I can't really listen to "Hallelujah" anymore since it's so overplayed and kinda co-op'd. But "Lilac Wine" is still amazing, and if you haven't heard it, then you're in for a treat. It's the "other half" of "Hallelujah". "Lilac wine is sweet....and heady...." Mmmm!

Jeff Buckley: Lilac Wine

...and remember kids....don't go swimming with your boots on....pfft...

The whole Grace album was beautiful. One of the albums you can listen to from start to finish and be taken on a spiritual journey. It's really sad what happened to him. Taken away too soon.

I enjoyed the Sheryl Crow and Neil Diamond.

Here's Hauskey doing the Killers Mr Brightside

and Sticky Fingers doing Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon

and Matt Duncan doing the Foo Fighters' Everlong

Here are a couple that surprised me from Rick Astley.

First, he covers Bill Withers:

Then, he covers the Foo Fighters. When asked if he'd stop doing Foo Fighters songs, reportedly he replied, "Never gonna give Foo up."

Here are a couple that surprised me from Rick Astley.

First, he covers Bill Withers:

Then, he covers the Foo Fighters. When asked if he'd stop doing Foo Fighters songs, reportedly he replied, "Never gonna give Foo up."

Hey, Ric does pretty good on "Sunshine"! That's pretty funny, "never gonna give Foo up" lol. (welcome back, bro.)

Here, I'll match you an "Ain't No Sunshine".....from the great Freddie King!

The whole Grace album was beautiful. One of the albums you can listen to from start to finish and be taken on a spiritual journey. It's really sad what happened to him. Taken away too soon.

Yeah, bro, I hear you.

This whole Naya Rivera thing actually has been bringing up that time period pretty vividly. I used to play at Sine (pronounced "sha-nay"), the tiny little place he started at (his first e.p. was recorded there) and I'd see him there. Also saw him at The Mercury Lounge. One day, my buddy said "Did you hear Jeff Buckley is missing?" I was like....what? There were candles outside where Sine had been, or maybe it was St. Marks Place around the corner, I can't remember.....anyways, my buddy said yeah, he may have drowned. A few days later they found his body, and I remember we played "Grace" that night.....and every song was so eerie, the lyrics, songs about being under the water and ......oh man it gives me the willies just thinking about it. I'm sure lots of people were doing the same thing. That album was already beloved and had such a vibe, and then putting the shadow of death all over it......too much, man, that's all I can say. A total tragedy. I remember when I first heard him, singing "Mojo Pin" I was jealous, that's how good he was.

Here's him doing "I Shall Be Released" on WFMU (great, legendary station here, right over the river, in New Jersey)......he's calling in and singing it OVER THE PHONE as a band plays the backing in the studio.

Last edited:
Don't want to leave the thread on a bummer......I was going to post Duran Duran doing Public Enemy's "911 Is A Joke"....but it's even worse than I remember it!

So here's The Flying Lizards doing "Money"!

I know my siggy says izzy has left the building and for the most part I have...however this staying at home stuff, plus hubby's early retirement has me climbing the walls so to speak so...and sorry I can't post a link

Social Distortion "Ring of Fire"

Godsmack - Come Together (Beatles cover)

Julien Mueller - Fast Car (Tracy Chapman cover)

I know my siggy says izzy has left the building and for the most part I have...however this staying at home stuff, plus hubby's early retirement has me climbing the walls so to speak so...and sorry I can't post a link

Social Distortion "Ring of Fire"

Isabeau! The elusive Isabeau! Always great to see you back! Oh man, good luck with all that, I know it's been hard.... :(

Look at you, with the Social Distortion! I didn't know that one...pretty driving! Here, first I'll link that one for ya....

And I'll match your "Ring Of Fire" with an Eric Burdon & The Animals!

And raise you with a Zappa!

What most people don't know is that Johnny Cash's famous version IS a cover! The original - which is FANTASTIC, I might add - is by Anita Carter....absolute heaven, my favorite version. So here's the much lesser known original:

Hang in there, Izzy!

One of my favorite songs and I don't know if I could pick between Etta James or Sly Stallone

"If You Want Me To Stay" (Etta's version was released in 1998)

Uuuughhhh I love how he sings this

Van Morrison covers "Georgia On My Mind"

Godsmack - Come Together (Beatles cover)

Good one, Bate.

"Come Together" has been covered alot. Here are my faves.....all extremely (and appropriately) stoney!:

Tony Mottola's Guitar Factory (this one is so weird.....it starts with the way the Beatles end their original version...and then the singers, randomly singing some of the words.....bizarre!)

The Israelites (deep spooky reggae version)

The Brothers Johnson (deep funky version)

The Supremes (!)

Other than the Brothers Johnson version, which is from '76, I believe all the others are from 1970, the year after the song came out (september of 1969).

There are so many versions. Michael Jackson. Aerosmith. etc

Linda Ronstadt - Tumbling Dice (Rolling Stones cover)

Annie Lennox is too cool

covering Screamin' Jay Hawkins's tune from 1956.

this video is from 2014 I believe

This rendition of Bill Wither's "Ain't No Sunshine" (1971) by Buddy Guy and Tracy Chapman is fire.

I believe the cover was recorded around 2005

I'm in the rock/metal scene so,

Marilyn Manson's covers of Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love are pretty good

Disturbed covered The Sound of Silence and everyone went nuts. It's a fantastic cover!

Asking Alexandria covered Separate Ways. I don't listen to them, and I don't care for Journey, but this cover is good.

John Cruz - Jokerman (Bob Dylan cover) Playing for change

Daisy Gray - Wicked Game (Chris Isaak cover)

Klemen Campa - Highway Star (Deep Purple Cover)

What's New

4/18/2024
Need to report a post? Click the report button to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back