• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Tips for new writers?

BlueLine7045

1st Level Red Feather
Hi everyone! So I was just wondering if any writers had tips or advice for newer writers such as myself? I have always been interested in writing, especially tickling fetish material, and have quite a few ideas in my head, but when it comes to actually writing it out, it never turns out the way I want. Plus, re-reading my own stuff always sounds worse than it did in my head. Any help is appreciated

Brain storm. Just write then go back and make all the adjustments you want on the story.

Hi, BlueLine – your grammar looks half-decent, which I think is more important than the majority of other things. ^ ^

It's hard to know what else to suggest with that little to go on; if you're after direct feedback, you'll likely get at least a little by posting any story, regardless of how you'd evaluate it. But like others would consider a maxim, I'd suggest just sharing something you've written foremost for yourself.

Hey, there!

I agree with Coda that you should definitely write about the things you find erotic and fascinating yourself. Write about the things you want to explore.

When it comes to thinking your writing isn't as good as it is in your head, I'd say to trust yourself a little more. You're probably juding yourself more harshly than you should and way more harshly than others will.

If it's a genuine worry, think about the details that excite and interest you in the erotic stories you read or fantasies you have; are you leaving those kinds of things out of your own stories?

I hope you write out all of your ideas and that we're lucky enough to get to read them!

Hey BlueLine,

There is wide range of approaches any writer could take to creating a story. You probably wouldn’t find two authors with the exact same approach on this forum. With that being said, I’ll get down to it and list out some things I do that help me.

1) You have to be interested in your own story. Even though this forum features some specific fetishes, there is still a wide range to them as far as what readers prefer. You aren’t going to hit a home run with everyone here so I just write what I would want to read. Or if someone requests a story, sometimes I have to politely decline because I’m just not into the material. I’m not going to write about wood elves in a tickle feud with pixies in some magical realm. I’m just not. If you aren’t into the material, it’ll come off flat and forgettable. Like when you can tell a movie was just a cash grab versus when it’s a director’s passion that he’s been wanting to make for years. Pick a scenario you would be excited to click on and read if you saw someone else post it to the story section. Those are the kind of stories you should write.

2) Detailed notes will help keep it straight. When I decide on a story idea, I like to know far more detail about the scenes and characters than what will ever make the cut in my stories. If I’m the author, I should know what’s going on and what the characters are like beyond the borders of the story. This helps me easily be able to write how a character would react to something or helps me visualize the tiny world I’m trying to convey. Personally, I think that with so many stories on this forum, what will make a story stand out in a reader’s mind for years is the little details. “Amy was a sexy secretary who had very ticklish feet” means nothing to me. You’ll forget that character in 30 seconds. You shouldn’t explain EVERY detail about a character, but you need a few that make them stand out and build them into a person a reader could visualize. Same goes for the settings. “The living room” is boring and could mean a million different things. Describe your setting a little so that the reader can visualize what’s happening. Before I begin, I list out each character and note their characteristics. Their physical descriptors, their personality traits, and some details about them that help flesh out the character. Then I can reference my notes as I write.

3) When you start writing, visualize what you think would happen. If I’m going to write a tickling scene, I don’t necessarily have every detail planned out. I’ll start and try to imagine the scenario playing out in my mind. If I like how it’s shaping up, I just describe it in words as I’m daydreaming about it. It’s really not a complicated process. But it goes back to the first point. If you’re into the material, your mind should take over and give you an image of what it would be like. Then just describe it as you see fit. And the more senses you include in your descriptions, the more real it will appear to the reader. Things like what the character’s feet look like, how they feel when the tickler touches them, the sound of their laughter, the taste of their toes as the tickler sucks them, the smell of their soles as the tickler inhales their sweet scent, etc.

Hope those tips helped! Private message me if you need any help.

Last edited:
Hey BlueLine,

There is wide range of approaches any writer could take to creating a story. You probably wouldn’t find two authors with the exact same approach on this forum. With that being said, I’ll get down to it and list out some things I do that help me.

1) You have to be interested in your own story. Even though this forum features some specific fetishes, there is still a wide range to them as far as what readers prefer. You aren’t going to hit a home run with everyone here so I just write what I would want to read. Or if someone requests a story, sometimes I have to politely decline because I’m just not into the material. I’m not going to write about wood elves in a tickle feud with pixies in some magical realm. I’m just not. If you aren’t into the material, it’ll come off flat and forgettable. Like when you can tell a movie was just a cash grab versus when it’s a director’s passion that he’s been wanting to make for years. Pick a scenario you would be excited to click on and read if you saw someone else post it to the story section. Those are the kind of stories you should write.

2) Detailed notes will help keep it straight. When I decide on a story idea, I like to know far more detail about the scenes and characters than what will ever make the cut in my stories. If I’m the author, I should know what’s going on and what the characters are like beyond the borders of the story. This helps me easily be able to write how a character would react to something or helps me visualize the tiny world I’m trying to convey. Personally, I think that with so many stories on this forum, what will make a story stand out in a reader’s mind for years is the little details. “Amy was a sexy secretary who had very ticklish feet” means nothing to me. You’ll forget that character in 30 seconds. You shouldn’t explain EVERY detail about a character, but you need a few that make them stand out and build them into a person a reader could visualize. Same goes for the settings. “The living room” is boring and could mean a million different things. Describe your setting a little so that the reader can visualize what’s happening. Before I begin, I list out each character and note their characteristics. Their physical descriptors, their personality traits, and some details about them that help flesh out the character. Then I can reference my notes as I write.

3) When you start writing, visualize what you think would happen. If I’m going to write a tickling scene, I don’t necessarily have every detail planned out. I’ll start and try to imagine the scenario playing out in my mind. If I like how it’s shaping up, I just describe it in words as I’m daydreaming about it. It’s really not a complicated process. But it goes back to the first point. If you’re into the material, your mind should take over and give you an image of what it would be like. Then just describe it as you see fit. And the more senses you include in your descriptions, the more real it will appear to the reader. Things like what the character’s feet look like, how they feel when the tickler touches them, the sound of their lighter, the taste of their toes as the tickler sucks them, the smell of their soles as the tickler inhales their sweet scent, etc.

Hope those tips helped! Private message me if you need any help.

very helpful, thanks. And thanks to everyone else that responded as well

Howdy, y'all.

It's wonderful that so many of us are stepping out and trying our hands at creative writing. In the spirit of continuous improvement, I would like to give some gentle admonition to those embarking on a career in authorship. While my work is strictly M/M, these hints can apply to any flavor of story.

Unless it is crucial to the plot, there is no need to list the age, height, weight, or shoe size of your characters. Does it matter if the protagonist is twenty-five years old versus thirty years old? Is it relevant that your antagonist is six foot one versus five foot ten? Does anyone really give a hoot that the main character wears size thirteen? Of course not! So PLEASE don't include irrelevant biographical data. It makes your story sound more like a police report than a composition in fiction.

Try to flesh out the people, places, things, and ideas. If you can substitute anyone or anything in your tale, real or fictitious, and still have it read the same and be the same story, you are simply playing Mad Libs for Fetishists.

Typing out the sounds of someone laughing is just silly. We all know what laughter sounds like. Why waste a perfectly good crop of H's and A's, when you could be giving us more plot, instead?

Learn about paragraph breaks and how to use them. No one is going to read five hundred solid words without taking a breath.

Spell out everything. You are not a sixteen-year-old cheerleader texting to her friends.

Proofread before you publish. It's good design.

And for God's sake... make sure you NEVER make a word plural by adding an apostrophe before the S, unless you want to see a grown man (me!) weep in despair. Pet peeve. And before anyone jumps all over me for being a hypocrite, you CAN use an apostrophe before the plural of a letter, number, or in some circles, an acronym. Hence: 2's, P's and Q's, DVD's.

Unless it is crucial to the plot, there is no need to list the age, height, weight, or shoe size of your characters. Does it matter if the protagonist is twenty-five years old versus thirty years old? Is it relevant that your antagonist is six foot one versus five foot ten? Does anyone really give a hoot that the main character wears size thirteen? Of course not! So PLEASE don't include irrelevant biographical data. It makes your story sound more like a police report than a composition in fiction.

I'm not sure I agree there, McGraw (my apologies, I thought that would sound cool, like a cowboy :D).

As a reader I like to know what it is I'm supposed to be picturing, be it the location, an item or a specific character. As a writer I like my readers to have the clearest picture possible of what it is I'm trying to get across -readers will *always* have a different image of everything than an author does, but it can certainly be close. It can also be jarring for a reader if an author brings character details in late after their introduction, for example: Your reader spends ten thousand words imagining a nondescript protagonist as blonde only to find out halfway through the story that they are in fact a brunette to the author's mind. Something like that can throw your readers for a loop.

Ultimately, I think, it comes down to two things: intent and personal preference. For a story where the intent is eroticism I find it very helpful as both a reader and writer to have a clear picture of the key characters. If the characters are less important, a vague description can save time and brain power for more important things. Additionally, it can be beneficial to consider what your target audience is looking for. Here on the TMF I'd suggest there are a great many readers who care very much about a character's shoe size :p

Write what suits you best, and like-minded readers will gravitate to your work.

TickleMantis said:
As a reader I like to know what it is I'm supposed to be picturing, be it the location, an item or a specific character. As a writer I like my readers to have the clearest picture possible of what it is I'm trying to get across -readers will *always* have a different image of everything than an author does, but it can certainly be close. It can also be jarring for a reader if an author brings character details in late after their introduction, for example: Your reader spends ten thousand words imagining a nondescript protagonist as blonde only to find out halfway through the story that they are in fact a brunette to the author's mind. Something like that can throw your readers for a loop.

Ultimately, I think, it comes down to two things: intent and personal preference. For a story where the intent is eroticism I find it very helpful as both a reader and writer to have a clear picture of the key characters. If the characters are less important, a vague description can save time and brain power for more important things. Additionally, it can be beneficial to consider what your target audience is looking for. Here on the TMF I'd suggest there are a great many readers who care very much about a character's shoe size :p

Write what suits you best, and like-minded readers will gravitate to your work.

Hear! Hear! Dilly Dilly! I agree 100%. Might not make sense to some readers, but I think many readers (myself included) appreciate knowing some distinguishing characteristics like shoe sizes. That and their credit score. Don’t ask me why. I couldn’t tell you. But there’s just something about knowing a fictional character’s financial status that really brings me in to a story and helps me connect. Will the sexy brunette with size 8 feet and a respectable credit score be able to afford that new car? You bet your sweet ass. Looks like years of diligent pedicures and fiscally responsible decision making is paying off. NOW I’m ready to read the rest of the story. Proceed.

Last edited:
There are also several good books on how to write erotica. Most have an introductory section on writing in general which you might find useful.

I suggest googling the following: "Book: how to write erotica" You'll get several titles and can then select one or two to purchase. Writers Digest published a set which I found useful. Also, armed with a specific author or title, you might have an easier time finding the title at your local library.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back