• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Orajel 4X medicated

tickle gamer

3rd Level Red Feather
Hi All! Happy Thanksgiving. This is just a friendly warning about Orajel 4X medicated gel.

I woke up this morning with a cold sore on my lip, and used some Orajel on it before I read the back of the package (I mean it's Orajel. Nothing bad there right? Wrong)

I read the back and it said it could cause Methemoglobinemia (I probably spelled that wrong), but, they say it's a serious medical condition where the blood doesn't get enough oxygen. TBH, the symptoms sound a lot like Covid.

I washed it off immediately.

And, before anyone says anything. This wasn't listed with the side effects. It was a separate warning.

In California, they have to put a cancer warning on almost everything. Doesn't mean all the items cause cancer or that the risk is very high, but they put it to cover their asses because it's probably the most litigious state in the US. Just throwing that out there as an example that sometimes not all warnings are cause for alarm.

I recently got the same Orajel you're talking about (to be honest, I thought it was just for teeth, not the face) and it worked ok for me. No weird diseases and no COVID.

In California, they have to put a cancer warning on almost everything. Doesn't mean all the items cause cancer or that the risk is very high, but they put it to cover their asses because it's probably the most litigious state in the US. Just throwing that out there as an example that sometimes not all warnings are cause for alarm.

I recently got the same Orajel you're talking about (to be honest, I thought it was just for teeth, not the face) and it worked ok for me. No weird diseases and no COVID.

I've just always heard it works for cold sores\fever blisters.

And. I realize the likelihood of something like that actually happening are probably low, but I've always been one to weigh the benefits against the risks when it comes to meds. Like, will a fever blister kill me? Probably not. But, if I got that whatever the name is (long word). Would it kill me? A good chance.

Perhaps, though I'd wager more people die from infection than orajel. At any rate, I do hope it feels better soon

The condition you reference here: Methemoglobinemia (pronounced Met heemoglobineemia) occurs when the iron in heme group is Fe3+ instead of Fe2+ and is therefore unable to carry an oxygen molecule. It's incidence in the general population is less than 0.1% and while benzocaine, the active ingredient in Orajel and other topical pain relievers has been implicated in the occurrence of Methemoglobinemia there's no conclusive data indicating a significant increase in the incidence rate.
Chicago's observation of the liability and lawsuits is exactly on point. But you can always consult a pharmacist to get more information.

Hope this provides any insight.
HappyD

I did a search last night for easy ways to cure a fever blister, and was shocked to find it was as simple as holding ice on it for a while. Now, while this was hard to do (because of the placement of the blister), this morning the swelling down a lot.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back