• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

How much of being ticklish is mental

RickyN

TMF Regular
Hi folks,

Recently had a couple of people say to me that they can turn off their ticklishness or that they decided it was kind over matter and aren't ticklish at all now.

Was wondering if anyone else heard similar things or how much does the mental side come in to being ticklish?

Yes. Both physical and mental changes.

While there are some people who were never ticklish, and other people who've always been ticklish, I believe the average person is ticklish to at least some degree when they're a child and then becomes a lot less ticklish as an adult (and on occasion, not at all). Some of this transition seems purely how the body changes with aging, the way foods like onion, garlic and chili powder can overwhelm children's taste buds, but then no longer do so once those same kids grow up. The nerves just get duller, whether hurting in taste buds or jerking from a poke in the side.

But regarding the mental aspect, I'm someone who hated being tickled by my brothers so much that I developed an ability to not react to them, even as I would continue to react to girlfriends.

I believe that the brain is a powerful tool if you know how to use it! Just as someone's mood can affect how ticklish they are and certain times, I'm a firm believer that some people can, to a certain degree, control their ticklishness through using brain power. I went with a girl for a while who had that ability. If I just tickled her quick, I'd get a reaction, but the one time she let me tie her up, I couldn't get even a tiny reaction from her. I think she may have been on the verge of breaking though, but the Domino's guy interrupted us and I never got the chance to find out.
And I fall into the realm of losing my ticklishness with age. When I was a kid, I was just as ticklish as the kids I tickled. But somehow I avoided being tickled much and eventually my ticklishness just faded away to nothing.

Last edited:
For my wife, at least, it's extremely mood/mindset dependent. The obvious is that when exhausted or not feeling well, she's usually not ticklish and doesn't want me to try. Fortunately, when she's happy or feeling close to me she is ticklish and enjoys it. But mostly it's a huge grey area I can't judge well. On a typical day (read: stressful), I try brief tickles once in a while with no idea each time if she'll be ticklish and fun (5%), ticklish but say not now (20%), not much at first but warms up and then fun (10%), or just giggle and say not now (65%). The unpredictability is frustrating and my success rate has declined over the years. But in light of the less frequent but still wonderful sessions, I chalk that up to stress, not decreasing sensitivity.

Lots of it is mental/emotional. If someone is angry, or creeped out, or threatened, they won't react in a "ticklish" manner.
If they're in a great mood, or aroused, yeah...they'll react even more sharply.

Yes. Both physical and mental changes.

While there are some people who were never ticklish, and other people who've always been ticklish, I believe the average person is ticklish to at least some degree when they're a child and then becomes a lot less ticklish as an adult (and on occasion, not at all). Some of this transition seems purely how the body changes with aging, the way foods like onion, garlic and chili powder can overwhelm children's taste buds, but then no longer do so once those same kids grow up. The nerves just get duller, whether hurting in taste buds or jerking from a poke in the side.
I heard a lot of people experiencing that, but for me it was actually the opposite, I was not ticklish as a child and then I started being ticklish in my teens.
I wonder how common is that and what the actual reason is.

I think there is something in what you say, however it is very dependant on the person & the situation, as I think there are things the tickler can do to heighten sensitivity, and I don't think everyone has the ability to control how ticklish they are.

I will not try and put a percentage on it, but for me a huge part of being tickled is mental stimulation. If a ler can get into my head and build suspense while verbally teasing me, my response will be very different than if the tickling is incidental.

While I believe that skin sensitivity does play a role in somebody's ticklishness, I think the mental aspect is the most important. I have seen some people go from extremely ticklish to non-ticklish just based on mood. In another thread, I related how an extremely ticklish ex-girlfriend became nearly non-ticklish because she was stressed over finishing an important paper.

Some women on this forum the past 20 years have said they are more ticklish when tickled by someone to whom they are attracted. The whole B&D "mind fuck" dynamic would seem to bake this into the cake---the dom seeks to control the sub--in our case, with tickling. The sub wants to be dominated and is turned on by being dominated/helpless/surrendering to the sensations, so the sensations would be heightened significantly.

I must be one of the few with very sensitive skin because I've found that I'm ticklish in my best and worst of moods.

Thats's why bondage is a must for me. Just being tied down enhances the reaction to tickling so much. Its a mind fuck.

Mindset and comfort level are important factors. I'm sure it takes a lot of time and control to be able to "turn off" your ticklishness. I don't think every ticklish person is able to control their sensitivity, but those who can have varying extents to which they can control it.

Lots of it is mental/emotional. If someone is angry, or creeped out, or threatened, they won't react in a "ticklish" manner.
If they're in a great mood, or aroused, yeah...they'll react even more sharply.

are these claims factually based with supporting evidence?

Door 44 Productions
What's New

4/15/2024
If you need to report a post, click the report button under it to the lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back