• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

A new sub-form in the General section

Oddjob0226

4th Level Indigo Feather
After hearing in the past 12 months about 3 different and disconnected women close to me who have had brushes with breast cancer, I posted a link for breast cancer donation in the "General Forum". I know The Shire posted something about The Fisher House, and one TMF member every year promotes the MDA telethon, both of which were good post ideas, I feel. And I had a thought. Why not have a new sub form dedicated to charitable causes that are supported by the members of the TMF themselves. You know - if there is a cause you support, what is it, and wouldn't you want to "spread the word" to help it out? Those posts with links would go in that sub-forum. It might even cancel out all the supposed negativity of the Politics & Religion Forum and the piffle paffle of the Silly Stuff Forum.

Additionally, to avoid any issues, fights or flames, not only would these threads be in a separate place, but I'd suggest they would also have to meet some requirements:

A.) The thread starter not only has to be a TMF member, but should have a minimum of, let's say, 100 posts, so we know that in some way this person is a contributor to the forum, not someone who joined just trying to get some attention for a cause.

B.) The charity posted should BENEFIT HUMAITY AS A WHOLE, so there won't be any posts trying to free one person in a Brazilian jail, asking donations to be made for memorials or statues, or asking for donations to the Aryan Nations or Hamas (or ANY political party). It would just be for diseases, hunger and/or disaster relief, veterans, etc. The links would be for advancing the basic health, comfort and well being of people in need, NOT for advancing the philosophical ideas of people (no fundraising for dems or repubs., A.I., specific religious branches, and so on). The posting rules in this section would be very open and out there reguarding what this sub-forum would be about. Myriads would have the final say if there are any disputes and posts, as normal, could be flagged.

*** An exception could be if the thread starter was asking for people to write letters to congressmen, leaders, etc. for the benefit of one person (NOT asking for funds). Requesting that we write letters on behalf of an A.I. prisoner's release would be acceptable, for example. Yes, it could start some fights: someone might ask you to write your congressman to support Jennifer Tsai (http://www.pleasehelpjen.com/) which seems pretty warm & cozy to me, while someone else would come along and ask for support for Mumia Abu-Jama (http://www.mumia.org/index3.html) which might get some people cranky. Well.... what DOESN'T cause dissent on this forum???

C.) Within the text of the thread, the thread starter should some way remark or relate how this charity affected him, or how he/she decided to become affiliated with it and chose promote it. The post has to be personal, in other words; no blind, random charity posts listing a link and nothing else, even though it may be a very good cause. What does this charity that you started the thread for mean to YOU, or how do you relate to it? This would also guards against a TMF member posting a charitable link that just sounds good, but turns out to be bogus.

D.) Replies would only be positive in nature, like "Great cause! My grandmother had carsoma, so I can relate...." That kind of thing. Anything saying "I don't support Catholic Charities because worldwide the Catholics are responsible for.... " or simple "Great post!" - types would be removed. I mean, why would you come into a "Please support" thread promoting a cause you DON'T believe in? Wanna lecture us, start a thread about whatever the topic would be, like always. This sub-forum would be a different animal.

Would these removals be too much work for the mods?? I don't know computers or websites...

A sub-forum for legit charities we belive in, with an established set of reqirments for the threads, non-complying threads being done away with. Anyway, that's my idea.

I want to thank you for the thoughtful, and well considered idea you have presented. I agree that it would be a positive thing.

That said, sadly I don't see the volume of posts about this to warrent a sub forum for them. If I start to open forums for every possible GenDis topic we'll have a spectrum of tiny forums that will become unmanagable.

I will however consider making a thread for a worthy charity a sticky thread for a short period of time in GenDis if I'm convinced that a few folks support it.

Myriads

All I asked was careful consideration, and that's exactly what you gave. Thanks, Myriads! And it WILL be interesting to see what might happen if people think about this for a little bit.

(And you're doing a great job handling some hard-to-balance issues....)

Perhaps a link to webpage (maybe on the main links page) with several notable charities including those of Oddjobs on it would be good. This would allow lots of charities to be listed with a description of what they do and the links to those sites. This would require little management I think. If space is that much of a problem I could post the page on my site and link it here. Just a thought. :D

Last edited:
What a good idea oddjob.

Myriads. What would be wrong with having a little subforum that highlights good causes? This could include links to charities, advice on dealing with depression and personal issues, advice on overcoming bereavement and other good causes in general. I think WE NEED THIS sub-FORUM! So long as the forum is for all good causes and for dispensing all advice and maybe for people to post there personal problems and seek help from members.
I am always seeing threads which relate to peoples problems with life, love and tickling. Why not have a subforum for these issues!

Oh, as for the charities issue. I have to disagree with oddjob. I think that the individual in Jail in Brazil (or China, or Guantanamo Bay) needs more assistance than the 10million people with some horrible disease.

Thanks! I'm not as dumb as I post. Pretty close, though.

You know, if that one person in a Chinese jail also has a horrible disease, then everybody wins!

Oddjob0226 said:
Thanks! I'm not as dumb as I post. Pretty close, though.

You know, if that one person in a Chinese jail also has a horrible disease, then everybody wins!

:jester:

Now that is just hilarious!

But seriously, I think you're onto a winner. I don't know why Myriads says there is no demand. Ok, theres not much demand for what would essentially be a begging forum, but if the forum was also dedicated to helping people with varous personal and health related (and other?) issues, then i'm sure that it would get lots of hits.

Practically every day someone informs us of some crisis or other in their life.

Oddjob for Governor! Thats what i say. (you'll be needing a deputy governor right?)

In Texas, Kinky Freidman is currently running for governor; y'all know Kinky, the lead singer of the country & western band Kinky Freidman and the Texas Jewboys. "The Ballad of Charles Whitman"? "Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed"? I'd hate to step into the ring and take away any of HIS votes! His two best elections slogans:

Kinky for governor: why the hell not?

- AND-

My Governor is a Jewish Cowboy

Ann Richards..... George Bush..... it's time to get Kinky in the mansion!

I've actually never had the opportunity to hear much of Kinky Friedman's music, but I've read a couple of his novels, and they were excellent. I'd probably vote for him on the strength of those alone!

It's the opposite with me - I've heard the music and read his columns in Texas Monthly, but never read the novels. Which, like you say, I hear are great. So I'll have to hit a bookstore at some point.

On a recent campaign stop I got Kinky to sign a Texas Music book for a charity auction I am working with (hey, see how I worked in the thread topic there?). He told everyone waiting in line "I'll sign anything - except bad legislation!" How can a guy so dang cool lower himself to run for public office? Well, as he likes to say "Having watched being governor from a distance, how hard can it be?"

So long as the forum is for all good causes and for dispensing all advice and maybe for people to post there personal problems and seek help from members.
I am always seeing threads which relate to peoples problems with life, love and tickling. Why not have a subforum for these issues!

I feel that such threads get much wider viewership in the Main GenDis forum then they would in a Ghetto forum that isolated them out. Also, I just don't see the weight of posts that would be needed to support a 'personal help' forum. I'm inclined to leave things as they are.

Myriads

What's New

3/29/2024
The TMF Gathering forums keep you up to date on where and when folk are meeting up.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back