• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

question about strokes

lk70

4th Level Yellow Feather
Have any of you dealt with stroke victims who have had hallucinations or other forms of dementia immediately following the stroke? My father had a stroke on Monday and I've been in MD with my mom and brother ever since. Things are getting very dicey and I could use some support. Dad is imagining that my brother is doing horrible things and it's really taking a serious toll on my mom. My brother, who is 46, is handling it well, but Mom is going to lose it. And since I'm staying with her, I may lose it as well.

I've read some on the internet about anti-depressants for this sort of thing- I can't even tell you what an uphill battle it will be for me to get Dad on those, but I will discuss it with his doctor tomorrow. So I guess I'd just like to hear from anyone with any real life experience in this area. Appreciate any help you all can offer. It's tough for me being away from home and some special friends from the forum.

thanks

Lynn

I'm afraid I don't know much about the after effects of a stroke, but I do hope that your father will improve and get the proper help he needs. So sorry to hear about this, hang in there.

Hi Lynn. I'm so sorry to hear about your father's stroke. :( Since I don't know much about the subject, I'll leave it at that. I hope you and your family get the help you are seeking. The article posted by Val looks like a good start, and I know the other members will aid you as well. Take care, and remember, you're not alone in this world. :grouphug:

Lynn... First of all, I want to say how sorry I am for you with all you're going through. It's a rough road. I've dealt with strokes, both full blown and mini, in relatives and friends over the years. Some, though not all, have had this type of thing afterward. As I've been told, it could result from one of two things. Either the damage of the stroke itself could be to the area of the brain that controls memory and thought processes. Or, it could simply be a temporary lack of oxygen to that area as additional clots pass. Either way, it's very difficult.

We actually dealt with this on a sporadic and prolonged basis with my grandmother. Some days she was lucid. Other days, she didn't even know us. We actually had one time we went to see her for Christmas. One of my brothers tried to help her open a present that she was having difficulty with. She belted him and started screaming for help thinking he was a stranger trying to rob her. He never could bring himself to go see her again.

The good news is that there are a lot of things they can do now that they couldn't 20 years ago when that happened. Be sure that the doctor is aware of everything that's happening...no matter how insignificant it may seem. It can help to identify what's causing it and find a solution.

In the meantime, be sure that you and your family are taking care of yourselves. You can't do your father any good if you're falling apart yourselves. Take time out to allow yourselves rest and distractions. You may feel guilty about that at times. But, it's really the best way to go...for you and him. I've dealt with many families over the years doing home health care. The most important thing is to be sure that you take care of yourselves. If you arean't rested and on your toes, you can't properly help them.

If you need to talk things through as you go along, feel free to drop me a PM. I'll be glad to be a sounding board and to help you with any information I know.

Ann

Yes, my darling girl, I frequently have to deal with patients suffering. Our mututal friend knows how to reach me. Please do call.
XOXO

Thanks everyone. Today was a much better day. I talked to the neurologist about this in detail and she doesn't feel we're dealing with dementia, but rather normal confusion following a stroke. In fact she feels his progress is phenomenal (her word) as he is walking with a walker only four days after the stroke. He's still imagining some odd things, but he seemed to shake it off faster today. I understand we can expect good and bad days for awhile, but he was himself most of the day today and they want to send him to rehab on Monday where they think he could get 100% recovery. This is a long way from the helicopter ride we took on Monday to get him to Baltimore. My father is a very strong man.

I can't thank you all enough for chiming in. I may still call on one or more of you as we go through the rehab process. I'm feeling much more together today- especially because I'm not dealing with a sobbing mother tonight :)

That's great to hear, Lynn. Your father is a very lucky man, being strong enough to shake off the aftereffects of the stroke he suffered. I'm glad he, you, and your mother are feeling better. Hang in there, and keep us up to date on your father's progress. :twohugs:

Dear Lynn,

First let me say Iam very sorry to hear about your dad's stroke. I will say that it is extremely encouraging that he is walking with a walker only 4 days after the stroke. The fact that they are sending him for rehab such a short time after is a very good thing. That should help him completely regain his ability to walk.
My grandfather had a major stroke when I was 17, but his case was totally different, and was far worse than it sounds like your dad's was, in that he never walked again, and was in a wheelchair. Serious illness like that is very difficult on the family.
It sounds like your dad is making great progress, and is on the road to recovery. I wish him all the best with his rehab. Do take care, and if you ever need to chat, feel free to pm me anytime.

All the best,
Mitch

I'm glad there is improvement but your family should stick together and turn to God if you feel you have to.

Yes, Mitch is right, darling girl. It could have been a lot worse. Whew! Thank goodness! With an episode this mild, he stands a good chance of making a full recovery one day. You know how to find me if you need anything ;) and I'll keep my fingers crossed! :Kiss1:
XOXO

Mitchell said:
Dear Lynn,

First let me say Iam very sorry to hear about your dad's stroke. I will say that it is extremely encouraging that he is walking with a walker only 4 days after the stroke. The fact that they are sending him for rehab such a short time after is a very good thing. That should help him completely regain his ability to walk.
My grandfather had a major stroke when I was 17, but his case was totally different, and was far worse than it sounds like your dad's was, in that he never walked again, and was in a wheelchair. Serious illness like that is very difficult on the family.
It sounds like your dad is making great progress, and is on the road to recovery. I wish him all the best with his rehab. Do take care, and if you ever need to chat, feel free to pm me anytime.

All the best,
Mitch

I can feel your condition My father had left sided ischemic stroke in 2019 because of delayed brain Tuberculosis treatment. Even after 1 year he was thinking I'm having affair with my mom but now he's quite improved. He was unable to walk earlier but now his memory, cognitive skills and motor are so much improved. Still having some things defects but that'll solve too as time goes on. A psychiatrist can help with phychosis if needed. Don't worry about vascular dementia, even if your dad is diagnosed with it don't worry this type of dementia depends on strokes for mental decline and it doesn't have other breakdown mechanisms like Alzheimer's. So if you prevent the second stroke you can halt it's progression and your dad will eventually improve and live a normal life. For more support visit the Alzheimer's Society.

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back