• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Any martial artists out there?

TTT for joy

TMF Regular
Since I've seen a post about fitness, I was wondering if I could get some advice in sports as well. I am considering learning martial arts for the following reasons:
-I find some of them elegant.
-It's a great way of learning body coordination.
-Sometimes it can prove useful for self defense. I usually avoid getting myself into that kind situations, but you never know what can happen.

With that being said I was wondering if someone here practices any martial arts and/or could give me some useful links with a good overview for someone who has never done any, but is considering learning them.

Go for it!

I used to do Karate and Kendo when I was younger, want to train again :)

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is pretty good for body coordination and self defense because it doesn't require you to be stronger or bigger than your attacker, and you're less likely to seriously injure them, or yourself, instead of swinging fists and feet around like a maniac that I see in a lot of other "martial arts". That said, it takes a long time to get really good at it, and I have to say this though I'm sure you already know, if you're in a situation where you need to defend yourself or people around you, please try to run first. Fighting back should be the last resort.

Okay. Now that that is aside, if you're interested in BJJ, try to see if you can find a 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu place you can train at. It was founded by Eddie Bravo, and he's amazing. Watch this to see him fuck Royler Gracie up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiNg4-kc1s

If you can't find any BJJ places, see if you can find a Judo place. Judo's another great grappling sport. If you're not into grappling and want to do striking instead, Muay Thai is pretty good. So is boxing.

My last piece of advice is to watch out for Bullshido. Bullshido means what it sounds like, fake-ass martial arts where your instructor isn't straightforward with you about the types of the "many" martial arts he knows, or that you can get a black belt very quickly, things like that. Watch out for too much emphasis on the belt system. The really obvious red flags is if the guy acts like he can hit people without touching them, or that he knows techniques that are "too dangerous to teach." If you hear either of those comments, just walk away.

Okay, actual last advice. Get some Defense Soap so you don't get ringworm. :shock2:

I agree with goodfella, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is very good. I'd also recommend considering Krav Maga.

The advantage that those two have over almost all other forms of martial art, including boxing though boxing is a close second, is that their core emphasis is on practicality. In addition to getting in shape, you'll be learning things that will be of use to you if you're ever mugged or otherwise attacked.

I used to study taekwondo, and while I was in amazing shape, I didn't learn much that would be of practical use in a fight. If I had it to do over again, or if I pick it up again, I'd go with one of the two I mentioned.

BJJ has been mentioned already. Good cardio, balance, and coordination there. Get your strikes/kicks on point, and use weight-resistance to put some power into them. Judo and aikido, for your throws, takedowns, and basic grappling. Works for me.

Thanks for your input guys. That all sounds great. I was actually a lot interested in Karate. Is it that much impractical to use as a self defense technique?
Also what is so special about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I don't know much about this stuff(that's why I asked in first place :)), but isn't Judo similar enough? For me living in France, it seems to me much more feasible to learn that sport, rather than something imported to Brazil.

Thanks for your input guys. That all sounds great. I was actually a lot interested in Karate. Is it that much impractical to use as a self defense technique?
Also what is so special about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? I don't know much about this stuff(that's why I asked in first place :)), but isn't Judo similar enough? For me living in France, it seems to me much more feasible to learn that sport, rather than something imported to Brazil.

BJJ and Judo are very much alike. Although some of the moves in BJJ are taken from Judo, with BJJ you have an advantage on the ground whereas Judo is better at stand-up grappling, I think.

I like to think of BJJ as a more practical and evolved version of Judo but it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Whatever works best for you should be great as far as self defense goes. It won't make a lick of difference to an untrained attacker who doesn't know how to get out of an arm bar or guillotine choke. :thumbsup:

I just personally have a bias for BJJ because it's what I know, and it's what I see when I watch MMA. UFC 172 was fucking great tonight.

I finally opted out for karate. There is a very nice club in my town. Along with judo it is the most practiced combat sport where I live. It may not be as practical as grappling sports (at least that's what the general opinion on this topic seems to be), but I like the style much more. They also give some self defense lessons, so it's a win-win situation: I get to do what I like and might learn something useful as well.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

It is worth doing, it was fun for the years that I did do it, as some have probably said, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is good, I was lucky enough to be apart of a school that taught various arts, bits and pieces from core arts

What's New

5/8/2024
The final Vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now ongoing. Visit the GFA forum to vote!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back