• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

For red indian and other aviation fans...

Strelnikov

4th Level Red Feather
OK, so she's not a Spitfire. I saw photos of this restoration in an engineering trade magazine. Haven't yet seen the final product.

BTW, these planes weren't lost by accident. They were supposed to follow a radio navigation signal from Newfoundland to the UK. Unfortunately, there was a German U-boat in the area broadcasting a bogus signal, intended to cause just this sort of calamity.

Strelnikov

Los Angeles Times
October 27, 2002

WWII Plane Emerges From Ice To Fly Again
By Associated Press

MIDDLESBORO, Ky. -- Glacier Girl's hibernation is officially over.
After spending 50 years in the heart of a Greenland glacier, the World War II fighter plane flew Saturday for the first time since it was pulled piece by piece from beneath almost 270 feet of ice and snow.

With propellers whirling and twin 1,275-horsepower engines humming, the P-38 Lightning raced down the runway and lifted into a gray sky for a 30-minute flight before an estimated 20,000 spectators in this small eastern Kentucky town.

"Seeing that plane lift off was just thrilling," said Brad McManus, who had piloted one of the P-38s that crash-landed with the recovered plane July 15, 1942. "It's a moment in time, a very special moment."

The plane, one of its era's fastest, was among six fighters and two bombers forced by foul weather and low fuel to crash-land on the glacier. It took rescuers on dog sleds 10 days to reach the 25 crew members, but all of them got out safely.

The planes were left behind to be slowly buried in snow and ice. They might have been forgotten except for people like Middlesboro businessman Roy Shoffner, who had become enamored with the piston-engined, propeller-driven P-38s as a youngster.

Shoffner, too young for World War II, imagined flying one of the planes, which could reach 405 mph at altitudes as high as 35,000 feet. The United States built 10,113 P-38s; just 24 survive.

Shoffner, a restaurateur, former banker and 1950s Air Force fighter pilot, recovered one of the P-38s in the summer of 1992.

By the time he got to Greenland, accumulated snow and ice had squashed the plane flat.

Crews used streams of hot water to melt a 48-inch-wide tunnel to the plane and opened a cavern around it. Disassembling and retrieving the aircraft took about four months and cost an estimated $638,000.

Shoffner, 74, had a crew working for 10 years to restore the plane, dubbed Glacier Girl, to like-new condition, tooling parts to replace those destroyed by the ice.

About 3,500 people a month have been coming to Middlesboro to watch the restoration, which cost at least $3 million.

One could see the appreciation in the tear-clouded eyes of Henry Miller, 83, of Mount Juliet, Tenn., a former P-38 pilot.

"That plane means something to me, because it has had it as tough as I have," Miller said. "We've both survived."

Strel thanks for that. I forwarded the story to my dad who is currently building a Long EZ. He and I both love to see reconstructed aircraft. It's amazing that they can take flight again after so long. If only humans could be repaired like that..lol

Here's the link to the official site for The Lost Squadron:
http://thelostsquadron.com/museum.html

Joby

Hi Strell me old mucker!!!

Great story thanks for that.

Thanks for the link, Joby. BTW check your mailbox.

And red - always glad to be of assistance...

Strelnikov

very interesting Strel. I'm a big fan of WW1 and WW2 era aviation. I like to think of it as 'real' dogfighting, where it was man on man in underpowered and undergunned fighters, unlike now when your plane's computer can lock on to targets over the horizon and kill them before they know what's happening. When it took skill to get in close and a lucky shot to hit the pilot or engine, that's flying.

Biggles

Joby, I followed your link. Neat site, and the two clips were worth the download time. Like your dad, I'm an enthusiast, though airplanes are out of my price range.

I’ll tell a story on myself. This happened years ago.

I had just found a WW-2 era German military pistol – a Pistole, Modell 1938 - at a good price and bought it. My mother called me to chat that evening. “What’s new with you?” she asked.

“I bought a P-38 today,” I answered.

Silence. Then, in an incredulous voice, she said, “You bought an airplane?”

No, more’s the pity. Kinda wish I had.

Strelnikov

What's New

5/15/2024
The TMF Links forum keeps you updated on tickling sites all around the web.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back