• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

How to Handle Commissions. ~ Oekaki-Tickles

Oekaki-Tickles

TMF Master
--------------​

How to Handle Commissions

Oekaki-Tickles

--------------​

When I first started handling commissions I was admittedly clueless as to how to keep the process in not only the best interest of the commissioner, but myself as well.

1. Before I began, I started out by finding the commissioning prices of other artists, then comparing not only the quality of their work to my own, but the amount of experience and exposure as well.

It doesn't matter how good of an artist you are, since a lack of exposure means you'll be starting out practically invisible, and without any kind of leg to stand on. Don't believe that you have to be publishable to make commissions... since there is always going to be somebody who will enjoy your work!

So, if you've got expectations about how everything is supposed to go... it's best to just leave them here. :)

2. Once your prices are set, start getting examples of your work out there.

Don't be afraid to do what YOU enjoy... since that's the kind of art that will turn out best. While doing the art that others would want to see first might make you more popular... it won't necessarily make you happy and will burn you out fast.

3. Decide on your methods of payment.

Want to keep things private? Then choose a method of payment that doesn't give away private information like your home address. Services like Western Union require information like your home address to get your money to you. Other services like Paypal will however still show information like your full name when sending or receiving payment.

Personally, I like my privacy, so I choose the lesser of two evils: Paypal. :)

4. Handling your first commission might seem tricky, but it's really quite simple.

Make sure your commissioner sends you ALL the information concerning their commission. In other words, request not only the imagery they want, but references as well. (Searching for references is really it's own job... so you might want to get that out of the way if you're not sure where to go.)

After that's taken care of, put together a small thumbnail image with your own, unique watermark... much like this:

attachment.php

This gives your commissioner a visual proposal and gives you a map to work from so you are less likely to mess up the final commission. Send it to your commissioner along with your final price (Based on number of characters, background, coloring and so forth). Let them know that if they want you to do this commission, then all they need to do is send you the first half of your commission price. Once it has been recieved: Get to work. :)

5. Do the commission!

Get down to it and do as they requested. If you think of something to make the image sexier... ask the commissioner first. Don't make alterations to their commission after you've both already come to an agreement. :)

6. Once it is done, inform them, await payment and then send if their way.
After you've informed the commissioner and recieved the second half of the payment, immediately send them their commission. Don't dawdle... you really don't want to give your commissioners the wrong idea.

Also, send them the largest version that you have, in JPG (Photoshop Quality 5 - Select that when saving it to compress it for the e-mail and their convenience.)

7. Before posting it anywhere, request if it is alright with the commissioner.

It's just a nice thing to do. :)

8. Relax... and start all over again. :)

Foreseeable problems:

Payment Issues:

Some people just don't like Paypal (Some due to personal past histories)... and would much rather go with other services like Western Union.

So far, most have been alright with my sticking with Paypal. One commissioner however, found my expectations for some privacy suspicious... believing me to be an illegal immigrant or an all around illegal person of some kind.

It was all quite amusing. :D

Scheduling Issues:

If you're not good at scheduling... just... get better. Otherwise, you'll be overwhelmed quickly.

At least give people a timeframe of some kind and note the number of commissions you allow/take at a time. :)

I hope this helps anyone looking to start commissions.
Wishing you all the best.

Thank You.

Oekaki-Tickles​

Last edited:
Cool. Great tips Oekaki-Tickles. Now we have to become as great as you in drawing commissions and we are all set. :) :wavingguy :omnomnom: :woot:

Thank you for posting this! Its a great reminder for someone like me, just stepping back into the arts lol

What's New

4/26/2024
Visit Dorr 44 for clips! Details in the D44 box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back