• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

The Great Storm of 1900.

Bugman

Verified
At the end of the nineteenth century Galveston was the fourth largest city in Texas, with a population of 38,000. Known as The Wall Street of the Southwest, Galveston was home to the busiest port on the Gulf Coast and one of the busiest in the United States. The port led the nation in cotton exports and was third in the export of grain.

On The Strand, banks, insurance companies and brokerage houses occupied the Victorian era buildings that lined the street. A few blocks to the south on Broadway, warehouses occupied the east end of the street. To the west stood the grand mansions of the Moody's, Kempner's, and other prominent Galveston families. Issac Kempner founded the Imperial Sugar Co. and later served as Mayor of the city.

The morning of Saturday, September 8 1900 was calm and people went about their business like any normal workday. It was known that a tropical storm was somewhere out in the Gulf Of Mexico but no one seemed too concerned. By midmorning storm clouds were blowing in, and a light rain began to fall. Soon the wind began picking up and the rainfall intensified. The hurricane struck later that afternoon, with wind speeds of up to 140 mph, and rain lashing the streets. Houses and commercial buildings were lifted off their foundations, and driven by the wind acted as battering rams, clearing entire blocks until the debris piled up at the end of the streets.

That Sunday the shaken survivors emerged from their shelters and began to assesse the damage. 30,000 were homeless, and the bodies of the dead seemed to be everywhere. As the clean up began, the able bodied Black men on the island were rounded up at gun point and put to work collecting the deceased. They were loaded onto boats, taken out into the gulf and thrown overboard. Over the next few days the decomposing corpses began washing up on the beaches despite the weights that had been tied to them. They were once again collected, stacked like cord wood and cremated.

The exact death toll will never be known but at least 6,000 and as many as 8,000, twenty percent of the population, died. In terms of loss of life, the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 is the greatest natural disaster in American history.

You can see pictures of the devastation here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gal...LwpoDPAhWJ8CYKHZ8iDrgQ7AkIOA&biw=1152&bih=593

Wow, Bugman, thanks for telling the story so well.

The practice of forcing at gunpoint the black people of the island to gather up the corpses is like an arrow in my head. During the devastating flood of 1927, African-American laborers refused to unload the relief trucks unless they got paid. This caused a major brouhaha that I won't get into here...... but reading your post, I realize they were probably just putting their foot down after events like these. (in 1927, they won that battle, and got paid). It was never clear to me, why they wouldn't unload their own relief supplies, and I feel like you possibly helped fit the piece in the jigsaw for me. An attitude of "won't get fooled again"!

Devastating carnage, and what a horrible death toll. i can't imagine tackling the aftermath of such an event with only 1900 technology.

Thank you for the very informative post, Bugman. I had only vaguely heard of this devastating hurricane.

Wow, Bugman, thanks for telling the story so well.

The practice of forcing at gunpoint the black people of the island to gather up the corpses is like an arrow in my head. During the devastating flood of 1927, African-American laborers refused to unload the relief trucks unless they got paid. This caused a major brouhaha that I won't get into here...... but reading your post, I realize they were probably just putting their foot down after events like these. (in 1927, they won that battle, and got paid). It was never clear to me, why they wouldn't unload their own relief supplies, and I feel like you possibly helped fit the piece in the jigsaw for me. An attitude of "won't get fooled again"!

Devastating carnage, and what a horrible death toll. i can't imagine tackling the aftermath of such an event with only 1900 technology.

Thank you for the very informative post, Bugman. I had only vaguely heard of this devastating hurricane.

Glad you found it informative guys. It goes without saying I didn't even scratch the surface of that horrific day.

wow and i thought the one in 08 was bad

I can't imagine living through something like that. Puts things in perspective doesn't it.

What's New

5/1/2024
The final vote for the 2023 Golden Feather Awards is now open. See the GFA forum for details!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back