• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What would YOU do in this situation?

Phineas

1st Level Orange Feather
First, a little background.

I will be 29 years old this month. I have been married to a woman my exact same age (29) for about three years. Don't know how relevant that is to what I'm about to say, but if it helps, there ya go.

I received my Bachelor's in Computer Science in 1996. All my life I have wanted to be a computer game programmer, and indeed it was the entire reason I got a degree in Computer Science. I was unable to land a job in the gaming field right out of school, as game companies prefer their new hires to be a little less clueless than a college grad. Not confident with my aptitudes scholastically (B+ GPA, but I am often overly hard on myself), and insistent upon making money, I went looking for a regular job in the computing industry and a programmer.

After a year or so at a company I really didn't like, I jumped ship as soon as the company was sold to a larger company. A week AFTER I jumped ship, the company was dismantled and the office I'd worked at closed. My next position was as a server-side web programmer with a small local company. I reported directly to the CEO, and I flourished. I was, it turned out, a pretty damn good web programmer, and figured I'd found my second "calling" beyond game programming. I was well-paid, in charge of a team of coders, and all was well.

That is, except for my boss. He was a raving asshole who thought nothing of giving you a $10K raise every three months and questioning your competency and dedication the day after, usually by yelling, using four-letter words, and insinuating that you didn't give a damn. I should also mention that very few of my co-workers were even remotely competent and I was often being burned for problems brought on by THEIR mistakes. My suggestions and solutions went unheeded for close to the two years I was there before I'd finally had enough of the long hours and abuse and quit.

My next job was a very short one. It lasted a month with a company that refused to hire me on anything but a month-by-month basis, paid me peanuts, and then told me they didn't sense any enthusiasm on my part. All of my requests for better working conditions went un-heeded (I was shuffled three times to differing machines, asked to do things I had no training to do, given no help, and was forced to program on a laptop for over a month). I went home for lunch and never went back.

My final position was at a combination software-training company where I alternately prototyped web server and site solutions and taught programming classes to adult students. I worked 70 hours a week for half of what I was used to making, but because job offers were slim and I didn't have an advanced degree, I was just happy to be employed. I discovered that I enjoyed teaching, was good at it, and because of the fact that I was doing two things I loved (programming and teaching) I pretty much ignored the grinding, endless week (I worked 9am to 11pm daily, and Saturdays from 8 to 6) and the other annoyances of the job, determined to not quit out of frustration yet again. I had to be employed, I had to support my family, no excuses this time.

It was during this time my wife and I purchased our current house. I've been living in this same house my entire life, mostly figuring the only way I'd move would be to get a game programming job and be forced to move out west, where the industry was. That day never came, and eventually the interest rates on mortgages were so low we'd be crazy NOT to buy it, especially since I was renting the place from my dad anyway. May as well be putting the money toward owning ourselves.

Then, the paychecks stopped.

THEY said they were delayed, and would be there any day now. The main office had been forcefully renovated by Osama's flight crew on September 11th and while no one was hurt, nor any data lost, most of the company quit rather than commute to New Jersey and the company strained.

For a while I didn't mind, but eventually I got really bugged at stressful, 70-hour weeks, a workload that required even more time than that to accomplish that didn't even reward me with my miniscule pay. When I hadn't been paid for two months, I informed my boss that I would not be returning to work until I was paid in full.

The checks magically appeared that day. It was a small victory, as three weeks later I was informed that the company could no longer afford me, and I was laid off on the 21st of February, 2002. I am still trying to get my wages for my last month of work, and have filed a complaint with the Department of Labor.

I have been unemployed ever since, rarely receiving even a callback from an interview, even though I have a load of marketable skills, software design experience, and have led a team of programmers in the past in designing a company's flagship product (at the time, anyway).

However, in July, I was offered a position as adjunct (part-time) faculty at a local college, teaching a course in computer game programming. Could it get any cooler than that? The pay is not going to be so good, and it's only one day a week, but there have been discussions of an expanded program which, I assume, I would head up having done a good job with the initial course. It may even lead to a full-time teaching position, which I'd love.

In addition, due to my lack of achieving, well, anything, lately, I have decided to go back to school and get my Masters Degree, which would, I hope, help me get an edge on finding a day job while I teach my class at night.

This is where it gets bad.

As you can imagine, my wife is gainfully employed. She works for a very successful friend of her family's, in actuality a husband-and-wife team, each of whom owns their own shipping company(!). She was originally hired as the company bookkeeper but has quickly become the indispensable right-hand woman of the wife, the second-in-command of the company. I have never felt she was paid enough for her importance, as the company would collapse without her. Of this, I am sure. However, her boss has recently been giving her steadily larger raises so the acknowledgement is coming.

I feel that we need to focus on my wife's career at the moment; she would never be fired and her boss, while often overworking her, is very generous with the perks, paying for her trips home, giving her computer equipment, that sort of thing. My video game career is, I have decided, borderline impossible to get into now without investing in the teaching; I lack the necessarily capital and manpower to open a startup and develop a product, and the game business is so hit-and-miss I would never be able to convince any venture capitalists to invest because I couldn't prove a market with a good business plan. I also suck at business. I'm an engineer. I also can't join existing game companies without the clout of teaching experience because I have no industry experience doing games. My only hope right now, and in the near future, is to gamble on the teaching career and get my Graduate degree, while my wife supports us through her job.

This is where it gets problematic.

Recently, my wife's boss decided, as she has done so many times before but never acted on, to close up shop where we currently live and move out west to be closer to one of her warehouses. My wife dismissed this choice as she has never actually made good on it.

Last night, she did. She informed my wife to inform me to start applying to jobs in the state she will be moving to.

Here is the situation I am currently in.

Due to my failures in my career, I cannot rely on my own ability to support my family; I am currently wondering if I will ever find a job I like, suffering from wondering if I've just wound up at lousy companies or my industry is just like this and I can't cope because I expect too much. My wife is currently supporting us. Due to her own lack of an advanced degree (accountants make piddling sums of money unless they're a CPA, which she is not, and she obtained her degree in China so it does not hold the same weight here as it would there), should she quit this job because her boss is moving shop, she would also find it very difficult to be re-hired.

Her boss is actually planning the move because she wishes to open a brand-new company. She has existing clients and established business relationships, so the startup basically cannot fail. Here's the kicker, though. She's offered my wife a partnership in the business.

My wife's boss is incredibly well-off by American standards, and filthy stinking rich by Chinese standards. If my wife was a partner, it's pretty much guaranteed easy money in a big way.

However, let's not forget that I've just been offered a dream job which could be a gateway to big things myself! If I move, I'll have to give up teaching at the college. I also don't really want to move, seeing as how we just bought the house I grew up in, and all my friends are here. There's also the uncertainty of starting a new business; if my wife's boss fails in her venture for any reason we'll be stranded with no family, no home, and no opportunities to fall back on in an area I've never even visited before.

What would you do in this situation? This is probably the biggest bind I've ever been in; neither solution offers any good things without enormous trade-offs in return, trade-offs I am basically very unwilling to make... and each choice has the potential to fail miserably. They're BOTH gambles. I've also never had to make such a life-altering decision before, and I'm anxious to make the right one.

Thanks for listening,
Phin

Last edited:
You have some hard decisions to make for sure.Let's see if any of these thoughts helps:

It seems like the most promising option is your wife's opportunity, at least for now.Maybe rent out your current house until you find something in your new location,then try to get a rent to own agreement.

The school opportunity may well be open elsewhere,too.Many colleges offer free education as an employee benefit,and good teachers can usually find "something".

Did anyone consider you getting in on the business your wife is in?

From my experiences with friends and relatives,jobhopping in the computer field is not rare at all.I know a person who has even worked for the same employer 3 different times over the years, and others I know have no trouble packing up, or finding other work.I guess it depends on location,personal experience and degrees, and the job market.

If you haven't,apply for unemployment compensation.Talk to those people rather than what you have "heard",as the laws governing this benefit are largely misunderstood.It might be possible to collect even if you do decide to move.That will all depend on your state and the state you might move to.

Another option,though it would not be a good one for me,would be to have a "coast-to-coast" marriage until you can get things sorted out.
This does happen in the military,construction,and other fields where travel might be necessary.

You do have some tough decisions to make.Good luck making them.

This is a choice that you'll need to make on your own, but by the way you've written the description above of what's happened to this point, I get the feeling that in your heart you've made the choice already.

Enjoy your move west.

The house you are in can be disposed of, property sells at the right price. You can hold it for a short bit if you must. Teaching positions can be found easily if you are willing to work for low pay. The oppertunities that you'll gain by having the finances that your wifes new earning power will allow, will more then help you in chasing your own goals at some future point. Go for it. The pluses that you gain in aggragate are less then the things you loose. (given that your descriptions are complete and honest) Good luck!

Myriads

I agree with Myr's observation and would like to add a couple of my own. Firstly, though you've chosen not to state exactly where out west that this job will take you, you also stated that computer gaming jobs were mainly out west. I can't help but notice that fact and wonder if you might just end up falling into something. Second, if the school you would have been teaching at thinks enough of you to hire you, they should also be willing to put in a good word for you in schools in the new area. Since your wife seems to be the one with some stability, I'd say stick with that. You aren't likely to have less chances out there than you do now.

Good luck!
Ann

Phineas I know you have some tough decisions to make. I also knd of know what you are going through though. I was employed once at a defense plant where it was my job to design new explosives. The pay was good but the place was unsafe so I quit. A few months later they had two explosions one in which employee lost a hand and another where an employee was permanetly disfigured. After this time the peace dividend thing kicked in and I was unemployed for nearly two years. If not for my parents I don't know what I would have done. Finally I landed my current job in the medical industry where I work for a "raving asshole" similar to the guy you describe. Currently I am trying to leave this job and find another like teaching at a community college which I think would be great.

The most important thing I've learned in life is to be happy and in your case I would say your lucky to have a sweet and caring wife which I think is worth more than all the dream jobs wrapped up in one. The career thing will fall into place eventually but finding true love thats something that is truely rare. I would say go with your wife to this new job and maybe pick up teaching at a community college over there. Who knows we might end up teaching at the same college. Good luck, I am certain things will work out eventually. If you need to talk more I am always here.

Phin,
I think there is a consensus here.

Aside from the "what if's" and the "how to's" I think there is something else to consider. Somthing base and enjoyable.

Life is best lived, in my opinion, as an adventure. Rather than worrying about which is the right choice...try viewing from the standpoint of...Would I regret not doing A or B? Why not take a leap of faith?

I hear the Pacific is lovely this time of year. ;)
Joby

thanks a bunch, everyone. You're right in that my only real solution is to go where the security is, given that everything I attempt on my own falls apart. There *is* one thing I need to clarify, though.

Nine times out of ten, a college will not accept you as a professor unless you have a graduate degree, which I don't. The college that hired me for the fall is one of them; they made an exception in my case because they needed game-programming experts and there are so few of us around here with teaching experience that they waived the Masters' requirement in my case. If I moved, I probably would be unable to teach again until I got my graduate degree, which would be another few years.

Phineas what about private high schools? I don't think they require an advanced degree but I could be wrong.

Re. private high schools- They pay peanuts and there's no job security, but it will bring in some money and give you something to put on your resume. Unfortunately, though, by now they're completely staffed up for the year. If you haven't found something else, try again in the spring, for a position starting in the fall. There's always turnover (see first sentence.) Lack of an advanced degree shouldn't be a major problem (again, see first sentence.)

Good luck, and don't be so hard on yourself. The experience you describe isn't unusual for someone in your field.

Strelnikov

lol, thanks for the research, kurch, but I've been studying the gaming industry for years. I know as much about breaking into it as one can know, I even got to a second-tier interview with EA sports a few months ago, but they declined to make me an offer for reasons they wouldn't reveal.

Ironic that the Electronic Entertainment Expo would hold a forum on breaking into the industry when you can't gain admittance to E3 unless you're already IN the industry, or the industry press.:confused:

Phineas,

This is indeed a hard situation, but I think staying with your family commitments might be the right move for now.

I am not saying to give up on your dreams. No one should ever do that, but you are still young and have plenty of opportunities and time to become whatever you want to be.

I see a relationship as give and take. She is the bread winner right now, so follow her needs. When the right opportunity for you comes along, she will remember any sacrifices you made for her and fully support your needs.

A job is just a necessary evil in life.

A loving relationship is worth it's weight in gold.

Good Luck,
Jen

Sorry the info was not of more help Phineas. I know the gaming industry is not easy to break into so don't be too hard on yourself. Eventually something will turn up.

What's New

4/28/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday Eve at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back