• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

MUSIC: Who are the most Overrated/Underrated Musicians?

I wouldn't post most pop from today because I don't think it qualifies as "overrated." Like, while Miley Cyrus is very popular, I know few who actually say she's an amazing musician.

I agree that U2 is overrated by many.

Underrated? Bela Fleck. The Submarines. Girl Talk. The Arcade Fire... (Except people in some circles say that the Arcade Fire is overrated. But I freakin' love them.)

I'm surprised folks are posting on Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, American Idol, etc. Isn't this thread suppose to be about "musicians"??

Drew

Your right Drew it is. I suppose some of the names and TV show titles we listed regarding singers has to do with the fact that the generic term musician may have a different meaning today to lots of people. For example the word "Boy Band" may refer to a singing group like The Back Street Boys. Now on a purely technical level since none really play an instrument, they are really not a band are they? But the lexicon has changed so much over the years that lots of terms get lost these days.

I also wanted to point out that there was a time when even rock and roll players were not considered "musicians" by schooled jazz and classical players either, but slowly that has started to change over the years.

It all boils down to ones generation and musical perspective. Lots of young people today make CD's and don't really play an instrument with all the sampling and use of a turntable. And in some cases the use of technology in capable hands can make one a musician. Things have really changed an awful lot and the word musician can mean different things to different people.

Overrated: RUSH. And yes I've given them a fair chance, my husband had all their stuff before deciding he'd outgrown them. Tom Sawyer and Roll the Bones are decent, but in general Getty Lee sounds like somebody's choking Legolas to death at a bus station :scream:

Underrated: Jill Scott, Luther Vandross, The Association, Tony Toni Tone (and a lot of New Jack Swing groups), Puddle of Mudd, Norah Jones, Kyle Jester, Joe Jackson, Millie Jackson for that matter...this is a long list unfortunately...

post #1 for me! :)

on your overrated list -who in their right mind is rating jimmy buffet, billy joel, and perhaps worst of all DMB highly? (the phish inclusion hurts me but to each his own)

on your underrated list - modest mouse are treated like friggin indie royalty, so if they're underrated you must think they're indie deities! And what fools out there dare speak ill of lou reed! bastards!

my 2 cents :)

Check the date on that post. Over like 4 years old ;)

I take back saying The Beatles and The Who are overrated. I was talkin about of my ass.

The Doors, Green Day, and Nirvana are still some of the most overrated tho.

Thing about overrated or underrated musicians is, eventually, everyone winds up in the bargain basement bin

Just because I want a chance to contribute to this old thread:

Overrated: Nirvana, Journey, KISS, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, U2, John Mayer, Blink 182, Green Day, Soundgarden, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, The Ramones, The Runaways, Alice in Chains, Korn, Metallica, Slayer, Train, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Rage Against the Machine, Jason Mraz, Lil' Wayne, Evanescence, System of a Down

Underrated: Warren Zevon, Kate-Miller Heidke, A-Ha, Ladytron, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Devil Doll, Van Canto, Marillion (The Fish years), Van Der Graaf Generator, Renaissance, Can

Most overrated: The Rolling Stones :britishflag:
Most of their stuff since Brian Jones died is mediocre, the stuff they've produced after Steel Wheels is immediately forgettable, and Mick Jagger is looking more and more like Don Knotts every year.

Most underrated: Katey Sagal :mhorns:
Intense soulful singer. Unfortunately, she's overshadowed by her Peg Bundy character from "Married with Children".

Most overrated: The Rolling Stones :britishflag:
Most of their stuff since Brian Jones died is mediocre, the stuff they've produced after Steel Wheels is immediately forgettable, and Mick Jagger is looking more and more like Don Knotts every year.

Most underrated: Katey Sagal :mhorns:
Intense soulful singer. Unfortunately, she's overshadowed by her Peg Bundy character from "Married with Children".

Agree 100% about the Rolling Stones. Never liked them, even in their prime. I always thought their music was sloppy and I never considered any of them great musicians. I'd also say AC/DC is overrated. Same with Metallica

Underrated; A lot of art rock bands from back in the 70's like Yes, ELP, Genesis, Rush, Steve Hackett, etc.

Sticking with rock/pop.

Overrated? Led Zeppelin. I don't think they're bad but I never understood the appeal either. It's possibly because every single list of greatest rock songs ends with Stairway to Heaven, which I'll also say is an overrated song.

Underrated? The Kinks. If you look beyond the handful of hits they had in the U.S. you'll find themes ranging from satire to tragedy.

Sticking with rock/pop.

Overrated? Led Zeppelin. I don't think they're bad but I never understood the appeal either. It's possibly because every single list of greatest rock songs ends with Stairway to Heaven, which I'll also say is an overrated song.

Underrated? The Kinks. If you look beyond the handful of hits they had in the U.S. you'll find themes ranging from satire to tragedy.

I agree Stairway to Heaven is incredibly overrated but IMHO Zeppelin as a band has earned their fame. I love Zep.

wow, who revived this old thing? lol

I think a lot of current female pop singers are overrated - Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez, J.Lo, Lana Del Ray

Also, what I call redneck-rock (kind of like nu-metal, emo, and pop put together then blended with Mountain Dew and tobacco dip). Bands like Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Nickelback, Three Days Grace, My Chemical Romance, Evanessence, Limp Bizkit, etc

Totally agree about Led Zeppelin being one of the most overrated bands though. If you liked them, just go find the original blues artists their songs came from lol

Rick James is criminally underrated as an artist. Mostly gets joked on because of the Chappelle skit and people only know "super freak" or "give it to me baby". But he was one of the funkiest to ever do it, I suggest listening to these albums (busting out of L seven, cold blooded, street songs, garden of love).

wow, who revived this old thing? lol

I think a lot of current female pop singers are overrated - Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez, J.Lo, Lana Del Ray

Also, what I call redneck-rock (kind of like nu-metal, emo, and pop put together then blended with Mountain Dew and tobacco dip). Bands like Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Nickelback, Three Days Grace, My Chemical Romance, Evanessence, Limp Bizkit, etc

Totally agree about Led Zeppelin being one of the most overrated bands though. If you liked them, just go find the original blues artists their songs came from lol

Only a few Zeppelin songs were remakes of old blues songs. Most were Zeppelin originals. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but I maintain Zeppelin was incredible, and not at all overrated(except for their last LP, "In through the out door". That was weak mainstream crap)

Overrated: Creed. Need I say more?

Underrated: The Barenaked Ladies. Listen to the hidden track after 'Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel' on the Maroon album.

I'll stick with underrated. I feel like listing overrated is just bashing. Fishbone and Corrosion of Conformity... Incredible bands that should be huge but aren't.

Ok.... Tom Petty and U2.. overrated. God, they're just dull. I tried. 🤷*♂️

I just think it's funny that Creed and Nickleback have sold a combined total of over 100 million albums but I don't think I've ever met someone who likes/listens to either of them.

If someone on here does, more power to you.

More overrated - Oasis, the White Stripes(hate that 7th Nation Army song), Billy Joel, Black Sabbath/Ozzie and pretty much any Heavy Metal/Hair Metal band. Never liked any of them(except a couple Def Leppard tunes)

Also Boston, after their first album was overrated. Their debut LP was incredible but it was all downhill after that. The Eagles, except for a couple songs were always kind of bland and boring to me.

Most overrated: The Clash, The Beatles, Arctic Monkeys, The Rolling Stones.

Underrated: Pulp, The Beautiful South, The Ramones, Judas Priest, Alexisonfire.

i won't list my over rated...too many to mention here, although i will say Pink Floyd is definitely, IMO, overrated

Underrated

Yes
Three Dog Night
Boston
Gary Numan
Deep Purple
Faith No More...

Last edited:
What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back