• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

MUSIC: Who are the most Overrated/Underrated Musicians?

Amnesiac

Verified
I'm burned out of confrontational threads. I want a more entertaining kind of contact sport, so here goes.

Everything I know about music I learned from repeat viewings of High Fidelity and VH1 documentaries. My taste is pathetically simple; my ear just like what it likes and doesn't care how embarrassing it might otherwise be. The only redeeming musical quality I have is that I realize the uberwundergenius that is Radiohead of my own free will. I can't help it...I'm made for MOVIES, not music.

So, for all you people who LIVELIVELIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE FOR MUSIC...

...Who DO YOU THINK are the most overrated and underrated musicians/bands?

This is an entirely subjective thread, so feel free to rant and rave about the awesomeness/awfulness of the people you talk about at length (except for Dave2112...yes, we KNOW Rush is the greatest band that have ever been born of cosmic sperm. NO we don't wanna hear about it for the 87,000th time, lol). MY ONLY PROVISO is that if you list at length, please divvy up the answers into Overrated/Underrated lists so people don't get confused.

Annnnnnnnd...this is where I get off. I don't know enough about music to contribute. Have at it folks.

Overrated: U2. When a guy calls himself "The Edge", I expect to hear sounds that aren't even music. Like, sounds no human ear has ever heard before and can't identify with and therefore, what comes out of his guitar should solve world hunger, cause the world to spin in the other direction and put an end to all wars and differences. Instead I just get pop music.

Underrated: Small UK band called "The Music". Took 'em two albums to find their sound but their third is a perfect blend of pop, dance beats and rock music. They put on a KILLER live show as well.

Overrated - Miley Cyrus * ITS MILEY * , Jonas Brothers , all the mainstream rappers * Ie Lil wayne ect *

95% of all the musicians with current music deals are seriously overrated...

I remember in the 80's where almost every kid in the suburbs had a guitar and amp...and somehow...some of those pre-Guitar Hero geeks actually got record deals...

Kip Winger is about overrated as it gets...

Overrated: The Beatles, Nirvana, U2, Coldplay, Eagles, Beach Boys, Counting Crows, Strokes, Guns N Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Green Day, Pearl Jam, The Doors, Weezer, John Mayer, John Mellencamp, Phish, Barenaked Ladies, The Dave Matthews Band, Creed, Switchfoot, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nickelback, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Fall Out Boy, KISS, Aerosmith, The Fray, Jimi Hendrix, Kanye West, Katy Perry, The Killers, Madonna, Maroon 5, The Police, Queen, System of a Down, Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, The Who, The Libertines, Jimmy Buffett, Eminem, Billy Joel, and Oasis

Underrated: Tom Waits, Gogol Bordello, Amos Lee, The Black Keys, Chet Baker, Daniel Johnston, Wesley Willis, Elliott Smith, The Gaslight Anthem, Hepcat, Modest Mouse, Muddy Waters, The Smiths, Stan Getz, and Lou Reed

I got this right from the guys in ShineDown, from Barry to be exact.

The most under rated band in the Universe is Tesla

The most over rated is the Jonas jerks

Overrated:
Pink, Miley Cyrus, Nickelback, Blink 182, Slipknot, Foo Fighters, Kate Perry, 50 Cent...I could go on forever. So, the list includes almost every artist who appears on MTV or the radio.
Underrated: Now that list would be too long..

Overrated: The Beatles, Nirvana, U2, Coldplay, Eagles, Beach Boys, Counting Crows, Strokes, Guns N Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Green Day, Pearl Jam, The Doors, Weezer, John Mayer, John Mellencamp, Phish, Barenaked Ladies, The Dave Matthews Band, Creed, Switchfoot, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nickelback, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Fall Out Boy, KISS, Aerosmith, The Fray, Jimi Hendrix, Kanye West, Katy Perry, The Killers, Madonna, Maroon 5, The Police, Queen, System of a Down, Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, The Who, The Libertines, Jimmy Buffett, Eminem, Billy Joel, and Oasis

Underrated: Tom Waits, Gogol Bordello, Amos Lee, The Black Keys, Chet Baker, Daniel Johnston, Wesley Willis, Elliott Smith, The Gaslight Anthem, Hepcat, Modest Mouse, Muddy Waters, The Smiths, Stan Getz, and Lou Reed

Damn, girl......Wesley Willis? You have some serious tolerance.:wowzer:

Overrated:

Everyone Annie listed except Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles.

Underrated:

All the musicians on the Blue Note, Chess, and Stax record labels.

Drew

Overrated: Metallica.

*awaits Jo's RAAAGE!*

Overrated: I can't think of anyone because ten-to-one I don't even listen to them.

Underrated: I have to say Evanescence

Over: Rap.

Under: Streetlight Manifesto, Landsdowne, The Apples in Stereo

All I can think of at the moment....

Last edited:
Overrated: Most of todays pop music, anyone that has come from American Idol (what a joke of a show sorry it is), any Disney "singer", a majority of the rap stars, Coldpay with their latest album (that first single sounded like a christmas carol and drove me nuts)

Underrated: God Lives Underwater, Ash, Dar Williams, Local H, Beck, Smile Empty Soul, All-American Rejects, Trapt, Phantom Planet, Sugarcult, Orgy, Loreena McKennitt, Garbage, Drowning Pool, Taproot, Jason Marz, Taking Back Sunday, and frankly most good classic rock is now

Overrated:

U2
Coldplay
Nickleback

Underrated:

Eric Johnson
The Salads
Dead Celebrity Status
Bedouin Soundclash

Snail Shell

Hm... I'm sure I have a lot for both sections, the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

Overrated: Opeth, Muse, Cannibal Corpse, The Killers, Kings of Leon, U2, The Mars Volta, Blink 182, Coldplay, along with the majority of mainstream artists at the moment that I'm not going to even bother naming.

Underrated: I agree with this one
Dead Celebrity Status
as well as Project Wyze, even though they're practically the same thing. Also: Celldweller, Breed77, Amorphis, Brides of Destruction, Sixx:A.M., 40 Below Summer, Peeping Tom, Evans Blue, Die Mannequin, Into Eternity, Puscifer, Kazy, Green Carnation, Meshuggah, Wintersleep, April March. Oh, and I must agree with Elliott Smith, from Annie's list.

I could go on, and I'm sure there's some I'm forgetting, but that'll do for now.

Overrated: Muse

Whaa?? Really...? To each their own I guess...

But I must completely disagree here and say that after seeing Muse three times and listening to all of their albums, they are the most underrated, greatest live hard rock band I've ever seen... It amazes me that there are so many people out there who still haven't even heard of them... Say what ya want about a lot of bands, these guys are for real if you are into hard rock...

Haven't heard anyone on their scale in years...

Whaa?? Really...? To each their own I guess...

But I must completely disagree here and say that after seeing Muse three times and listening to all of their albums, they are the most underrated, greatest live hard rock band I've ever seen... It amazes me that there are so many people out there who still haven't even heard of them... Say what ya want about a lot of bands, these guys are for real if you are into hard rock...

Haven't heard anyone on their scale in years...

Yeah, to each their own... I just don't see them as an amazing band like a lot of people do. They sound pretty generic to me actually, I don't really think they're bad per se, but I don't see them as anything special, or new either.

Overrated? All the crap on American Idol
Underrated? Most of the innovations by such great artist as Bud Powell, Charlie Parker, Diz, Miles, Duke, etc. Its a shame young people dont get to hear this stuff on the radio. Kids would rather watch some guy spinning a record than hail true excellence!

My Picks

Overrated: Britney Spears
She pretty she has a nice voice, but nobody like her should have the success she has had. She also owes a big debt to all the strippers who's dance moves she ripped off.

Underrated: Colin James
This guy can take just about any song an make it his own. Here are some examples of his work.

Colin James "Why'd You Lie"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EL9gYW1tBTo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EL9gYW1tBTo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Colin James "Just Came Back"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJyprEtjAiI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJyprEtjAiI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Underrated isn't the word for it.

I'm surprised folks are posting on Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, American Idol, etc. Isn't this thread suppose to be about "musicians"??

Drew

Damn, girl......Wesley Willis? You have some serious tolerance.:wowzer:

Overrated:

Everyone Annie listed except Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles.

Underrated:

All the musicians on the Blue Note, Chess, and Stax record labels.

Drew

although someone could argue that Willis's true genius was in that he incorporated so little differentiation of content and yet managed to make millions.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back