• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

"Auto-Tune" Pro or Con?

TklDuo-Ann

2nd Level Black Feather
I'm sure most folks have heard of auto-tune....that program that perfects your tune, etc. when recording a song. What do you think of professional artists using this type of thing?

Personally, I think it sucks. If you can't sing well enough to record your true voice, you shouldn't have a singing career. I put it right up there with athletes using steroids. No offense to those who use it for casual stuff. I just don't think we should be having to pay to listen to people who cheat by using it to make them sound good enough.

So, what do others think?

I agree with you that Auto Tune, used to enhance professional musicians is a travesty. Honestly if they don't have a good singing voice or one they can be proud of they shouldn't be singing.

Now using Auto Tune to make things funny (like the news, etc...there is a whole group that does videos like this) is one thing. It's not meant to be serious and it just proves how "musical" every day things can be.

Now using Auto Tune to make things funny (like the news, etc...there is a whole group that does videos like this) is one thing. It's not meant to be serious and it just proves how "musical" every day things can be.

Agreed. It can be fun to play with. Just not a good thing to depend on for a professional career.

Wonder what Otis Redding or Sam Cooke would have thought of Auto-Tune.

Oh wait......those guys could actually sing outstanding!!

Well, I'm sure there are some good singers today.:cynical:

Drew

I prefer it when the artist isn't spot on, it's the imperfections that add character to the song.

I agree with you that Auto Tune, used to enhance professional musicians is a travesty. Honestly if they don't have a good singing voice or one they can be proud of they shouldn't be singing.

Aye.

I prefer it when the artist isn't spot on, it's the imperfections that add character to the song.

Double Aye (or aye-aye)

Giant Clams can't sing cause of the pearls stuck in their throa........um.....I mean......How bout them Saints????

Actually, that's not what was stuck in your throat...

giantclam.jpg

:munch: Mmmmm! Love that claw meat!

I really couldn't care less if singers use technology to make them sound better. I just want what I listen to to sound good.

That having been said, I'm not a musician. I completely understand if it pisses off musicians that some singers do this.

The vast majority of modern music uses technology to sound better. I visit a music forum on occasion where the most experienced memebers, the ones who actually make money from their music, will tell you that to write good music requires neither talent, skill or knowledge of what you're doing. Plenty of "artists" these days can't play an instrument at an even passable level, let alone competently.

But music is an industry these days, not an artform; so the easiest way to make money is the route most people will take. You can't really blame them for it if people are prepared to endorse it. It also seems like vocalists get an unfair amount of flak over it although I guess the problem with auto-tuners is you can never be sure of who's using them.

I love AutoTune, and as a musician myself, I'm a dedicated user of it (or, rather, Melodyne), but not how most people would expect...

As an electronic musician, I expect my music to sound over-processed. Therefore, the effects that AutoTune or Melodyne can offer really bring out the fingerprint of the computer in the work being recorded. I also enjoy chopping up vocal parts as samples and stuttering them (which has become a considerably over-used effect nowadays, despite how cool it sounds). AutoTune can do one of two things:

1) It can make an organic artist sound better than they really are;

2) It can make an electronic artist sound more integrated with the other fully electronic tracks behind their vocals.

Big fan of AutoTune, here. Wish people used it more efficiently, though.

For instruments, I don't mind it as much. Enhancing the sounds of instruments is something I'm used to. You guys have some valid points. I guess my preference for vocals is more character than perfection. I actually enjoy those little "imperfections". So, to alter a voice in any way is a huge drawback for me.

I got 4 words for ya....

Alvin and the Chipmunks

Now for true, authentic singing without enhancement, seek out Ray Charles "The Birth of Soul" box set. And let's talk about REAL music.

Drew

Cough....

Being no better than the "real" experts in the musical field, here's my opinion:

There are really GOOD musicians, and there are BAD. Using enhancements is an option. A reputable singer will not be harmed by the use of some "helpers" IMHO.

But somebody who has not attained anything other than the use of camouflage is a frustrated one.

But then, people must evolve and be open to any possibilities that will make life better. And there are ways to try things the right way. That is what innovations are for.

The end.

There are really GOOD musicians, and there are BAD. Using enhancements is an option. A reputable singer will not be harmed by the use of some "helpers" IMHO.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RrLAgi_mBY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5RrLAgi_mBY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

My ears aren't biased. They like live music and studio enhanced music both. Kinda like my eyes like air brushing as well as natural beauty, My nose likes extracts as well as natural scents and my tongue... well nuff of that! :D

Hey, LOL... It is different from what I mean. That is LIVE and lipsynching disaster.

BTW, you think such scenario will tarnish Michael Jackson? And if he did, he would still walk the red carpets without any trace of tomato seeds.

Whatever that means.

:bow2:

Last edited:
Well, the thing we discover about those who use it is that their live performances actually show they can't sing in tune.... so they embarass themselves say at the Grammy's. Just saying....here's hoping the speak/singing of Taylor Swift is something that quickly fades into oblivion, much like Milli Vanilli.

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back