• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

ANTI VIRUS SCAM!

paracarl44

Wielder of 100 Feathers
It appears as a Pop-up Ad saying that it will keep your computer virus free.

When you click on it your computer becomes Infected.

They also ask for a credit card number for their service. If you give your credit card number out then they can charge your account as they please.

This scam has been running in our area, and you will have to take your computer to a technician to get the virus removed.

SO BEWARE!!!!!:angry:

Thanks for the warning, carl. I'll keep watch for it.

Mitch

:bump: I am bumping this up so that other forum members are aware of this virus.:bump:

Is it something called "Antivirus Soft"? I had it, and it's a bitch to remove.

this reminds me of the post i made abut a flash player install spy ware a week or 2 ago!!

Why on Earth would you click on any pop-up ad, let alone one that claims to be anti-virus software and asks for your credit card details?

I don't mean to be a bitch but this flies in the face of common sense on a number of levels. Firstly, anti-virus software is a serious business so you should always do a little research on which program you're getting. You wouldn't want a dodgy or untrustworthy one.

The second thing that puzzles me is why you'd give out your credit card number for something like this right away. Most anti-virus software (ones I'd trust anyway) give you a trial period. If this were a scam you would know right away since the program is just a virus itself.

And finally WHO OPENS POP-UPS IN THIS DAY AND AGE? THEY'RE ALL SCAMS!!!

Why on Earth would you click on any pop-up ad, let alone one that claims to be anti-virus software and asks for your credit card details?

I don't mean to be a bitch but this flies in the face of common sense on a number of levels. Firstly, anti-virus software is a serious business so you should always do a little research on which program you're getting. You wouldn't want a dodgy or untrustworthy one.

The second thing that puzzles me is why you'd give out your credit card number for something like this right away. Most anti-virus software (ones I'd trust anyway) give you a trial period. If this were a scam you would know right away since the program is just a virus itself.

And finally WHO OPENS POP-UPS IN THIS DAY AND AGE? THEY'RE ALL SCAMS!!!

No, the virus installs itself as a pop-up that won't go away, advertising itself as a state of the art virus scanner that can get rid of all the shit wrong with your computer. The pop ups keeps coming and coming and you can't click them away. On top of that it installs a proxy on your internet settings where you can only log into the website that sells you the "fix", so as far as you can tell, your internet is broken.

It hijacks your computer entirely, demanding the money.

No, the virus installs itself as a pop-up that won't go away, advertising itself as a state of the art virus scanner that can get rid of all the shit wrong with your computer. The pop ups keeps coming and coming and you can't click them away. On top of that it installs a proxy on your internet settings where you can only log into the website that sells you the "fix", so as far as you can tell, your internet is broken.

It hijacks your computer entirely, demanding the money.

I beg your pardon I misunderstood.

How then does it install itself on someone's computer without their permission?

I had a similar "rogueware" virus back in January. In my case the popup said "Antivirus Live". It was a beeotch to get rid of. You can google to get a method for how to remove it, which basically involves running anti-malware (I recommend MalWareBytes) and anti-spyware software while in Safe Mode (hit f8 upon booting) in order to remove it. AVG didn't touch it.

Regarding "installation" on your computer, the rogue disguises itself as a balloon in the bottom right corner of the screen, with the little Windows Security shield on it, so many people mistakenly click on it, figuring it is a Windows Security update. You do have to click on it for it to do anything, at least in my case.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems viruses are getting more aggressive in the last year or so.

What's everyone's opinion of the best Antivirus software out there anyways? I could never stand Norton.

I use Linux, and since no one bothers to code viruses for it, I don't bother about anti virus. AVG was going downhill slightly though before i switched OS

Regarding "installation" on your computer, the rogue disguises itself as a balloon in the bottom right corner of the screen, with the little Windows Security shield on it, so many people mistakenly click on it, figuring it is a Windows Security update. You do have to click on it for it to do anything, at least in my case.

That's new to me. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. Hope that windows update I just installed wasn't something malicious...

I've heard good things about Kaspersky, but being a free AVG user I couldn't say. Unfortunately viruses these days are well ahead of virus protection in any case.

What's New

4/24/2024
If you need to report a post, click the 'report' button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back