• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

songs from the 70s

Sugarloaf and Mott the Hoople - classics...

And of course, the 70s brought us the beginnings of electronica, and the use of synthesizers, which many decry. In my opinion, just another instrument, that when used wisely, can give great results. Used poorly.... If you've never heard Autobahn, you may need to sit thru the whole 23 minutes...it is interesting. By the way, the lyrics are auf Deutsch (in German)....

Sugarloaf and Mott the Hoople - classics...

And of course, the 70s brought us the beginnings of electronica, and the use of synthesizers, which many decry. In my opinion, just another instrument, that when used wisely, can give great results. Used poorly.... If you've never heard Autobahn, you may need to sit thru the whole 23 minutes...it is interesting. By the way, the lyrics are auf Deutsch (in German)....

Holy cow, Autobahn. Another one I'd forgotten about. I agree by the way, synthesizers have their place if not overdone.

Kind of on the border here, but I loved Herb Alpert's "Rise," so I took it upon myself to listen to the whole album it came from. I found the 8-track album had four really good songs, and four that I thought were ho-hum. Allow me to share the four I loved. First the title track, #2 on the album

The other three are the last three tracks: 6, 7, and 8.

Love Is

Angelina

Aranjuez (Mon Amour)

@The Internet
Seeing this thread pop up actually inspired me to listen to a couple of compilation albums I have, and Boston’s More than a Feeling was one of the tracks on it. Which means I was listening to that song just a few minutes before you embedded that video - kinda weird! Good song, though. Interesting, as a Brit, to see what songs say 1976 from an American perspective. Of course, in the UK it was all about punk at that point!

@rdhd

It was about punk in the US too, in New York. The Ramones, Johnny Thunders, Blondie, Talking Heads, Television.....but the thread just got started! Those three songs I posted were big mainstream rock hits that year. If you ever have seen the Richard Linkletter movie "Dazed and Confused" that is a vivid snapshot of the last day of school, 1976.

By the way, didn't punk really blow up in the UK in '77? I know The Damned were around in '76, but I always think of New York punk 1976, and English punk being more 1977. And anyways, just because punk blew up doesn't mean that it wiped away everything else. I mean...."Mull of Kintyre" was the biggest-selling single of 1977 in the UK, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Frank Zappa: I'm The Slime
....was he right, or was he right?......

Frank Zappa: Dancin' Fool
Frank rips on disco, lol...not for the first time, either! lol

Last edited:
Kind of on the border here, but I loved Herb Alpert's "Rise," so I took it upon myself to listen to the whole album it came from. I found the 8-track album had four really good songs, and four that I thought were ho-hum. Allow me to share the four I loved. First the title track, #2 on the album

The other three are the last three tracks: 6, 7, and 8.

Love Is

Angelina

Aranjuez (Mon Amour)

I love the complete album from start to finish. But these i'm in 100% agreement with as faves if I had to pick some. The 12" maxi single remix of "Aranjuez" (found on the B side of "Rise" maxi single), though about a min shorter is even better than the LP mix.

A few "deeper" favorites from the later part of the 70's that you don't hear much on radio anymore

Get your barf bag becuase nothing says the 70s like The Osmonds!

...or the Bay City Rollers!

or this two-hit wonder!

Paper Lace: Billy Don't Be A Hero

Paper Lace: The Night Chicago Died

I always think of New York punk 1976, and English punk being more 1977.

Fair point. I've always associated British punk with 1976 just cos that's when it could be said to have been "born" lol. Looking on Wikipedia, I was surprised to discover that Anarchy in the UK wasn't released till November of that year and New Rose by The Damned only a month before that. To be honest, I thought punk had made its mark a little earlier in '76. *shrug*

Fair point. I've always associated British punk with 1976 just cos that's when it could be said to have been "born" lol. Looking on Wikipedia, I was surprised to discover that Anarchy in the UK wasn't released till November of that year and New Rose by The Damned only a month before that. To be honest, I thought punk had made its mark a little earlier in '76. *shrug*

Nevermind the shrug....here's The Damned!

The Damned: New Rose

The Sex Pistols: Bodies

The Clash: Capitol Radio

The Stranglers: No More Heroes

One of my favorite musical movements that was predominantly '70s is Philly soul.... while this one isn't Philly soul per se (I don't think), it is a pretty good approximation of the overall sound.

Hey Internet, I see your Osmonds and raise you a Captain and Tennile. :p

Wire were one of the best British post-punk bands, in my opinion. I feel like they should be more well-known than they are. This is the single version (released in 1979) of a song that appears on their 1978 album Chairs Missing. And it contains a little tickling reference - what more could you possibly want! :D

This was the B-side on Ian Dury's Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (1977). Far too good for a B-side, if you ask me.

Uriah Heep, a very underrated band from the 70's in my opinion.

Hey Internet, I see your Osmonds and raise you a Captain and Tennile. :p

Ha! How could I forget the Captain & Tennile? Lol. That goes right alongside, maybe a little above, the Captain DID play with The Beach Boys, after all ;)

How about a little.....Bread?

Bread: If

Bread: Guitar Man

Bread: Make It With You

Last edited:
I don't know how you guys can so no disco since that's all you heard ad infinitum at the end of the 70s! I mean that IS the sound of the 70s!

Maxine Nightingale: Right Back To Where We Started From

The Hues Corporation: Rock The Boat

Then there's THESE sounds from the 70s......see if these bring you back!

One of my favorite musical movements that was predominantly '70s is Philly soul.... while this one isn't Philly soul per se (I don't think), it is a pretty good approximation of the overall sound.

Indeed it was Philly Soul. Recorded at Sigma and produced by Thom Bell. Great tune too BTW.

And while we're on Philly Soul...one of my personal faves

Here's something you don't see everyday.....a live performance of side one of "Tubular Bells"!

includes Steve Hillage, Fred Frith, Mick Taylor (!) and Mike Rateledge in the ensemble!

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back