• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Am I the only one?

EBunbury

TMF Expert
There's a Discussion Groups forum here; it has sub-forums devoted to books, and to gaming. That's great; I like reading, and I enjoy gaming. But am I the only one who finds it disappointing and disturbing that gaming threads/posts outnumber those about books by roughly 8:1? I would like to hope that those numbers would be reversed.

In a typical week, what's your ratio of time spent gaming, to time spent reading?

I plead guilty of gaming wayyy too much for my own good. But I am also an avid reader (of actual physical books, I don't mean ebooks or the Internet). I'd say I spend maybe 15-20 hours a week gaming, and about 10-12 hours reading, give or take. So the ratio at worst would be 2:1.

You are right to find that disturbing. Ask the millenials how long they spend on their phones/computers vs time spent studying or reading. Then you'll probably shoot yourself~

NOTE: I do not post that much on the Reading section of the Forum because contrary to gaming I read books that few people have read (especially in America, which account for 95% of the Forum), so it would be rather pointless to discuss them here ;)

My ratio is 0:1, or, more specifically:
gaming 0 hours per week, reading 15 to 20 hours per week.

As for me, I do a lot of both, but I would have to give the edge to gaming, but only because I get sleepy when I read.

So, I try to limit my reading time to about an hour or two at night.

and, As for the book posts, I have posted about a book or two before. the posts never seem to catch fire, the way some of my gaming posts have.

and, the games I play are mainly creative, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Minecraft, or any game where you get to make stuff.

Last edited:
I read a lot of different things throughout the day via the internet, news, social media, kindle, and i game a handful of hours a week so meh i dunno.

Everyones got their hobbies i guess. How other people pass their time doesnt cross my mind really. I surely hope people arent that elitist that non reading is bothersome lol

Last edited:
0 gaming for me. Spare time is allocated to musical instrument.
And yes, I just got bothered by your stat findings!

For me, gaming involves a big chunk of time, several hours at a stretch. I don't do it often. I can read any time I have a few spare minutes, so I do that throughout the day.

I... haven't read an actual book in months... >w>;;
And I game for like, two, sometimes four hours a day... <w<;;

But look, that's really not all that negative! I understand where you're coming from when you say that kind of ratio is disturbing, but it always bugs me when people act like reading is the holy goodness, and videogames are the EEEEEEEVILness. Gaming can be just as creatively stimulating as reading, y'know... XD

...Also I draw a lot. So... that's my non-gaming hobby. X3

Another thought occurs to me; perhaps the numbers don't so much reflect the time spent reading versus gaming, but the different natures of the two experiences. Unless you're reading to someone or being red to, reading is inherently a solitary endeavour. A reasonable percentage of gaming is at least semi-social, through MMORPGs and the like, so perhaps that accounts for the higher percentage of conversations about gaming.

And Chicago, yes non-reading is very worrisome to me as an educator. It's nothing to do with elitism, it's about the documented effects on brain development and brain maintenance of reading specifically novel-length fiction. There's now some pretty strong scientific evidence that neither reading non-fiction, nor gaming, produce the same sort of brain-maintenance and brain development effects.

At the moment for me it's about 0:0 lol. I lost interest in gaming when I was in my early 20s. And I tend to have periods where I read a lot, and periods where I read very little. It's kinda weird. And for some reason, I've never liked the idea of picking up a book and reading for just a few minutes at a time. I like to know that I have at least an hour on my hands so that I can settle into it. It's like it takes me a while to get into the right headspace, if that makes sense. :shrug:

and, something most people don't think about when thinking about games, some of them [like Final Fantasy 7, and the older RPG's] has a lot of reading in them.

I think the trick is to find a good balance that works for you.

and, when you really think about it, most people read more than game anyway [counting books, magazines, comics/manga, shopping at the store, internet, ETC]

and, two. Just talking about myself here, I am stuck at home all day, almost every day, [due to health issues], so, as for me, if I didn't game, I would go crazy with boredom.

Final thoughts. *Ebunury* I wish I could play MMO's [always wanted to play WoW], but where I live the internet is too slow for that.

I plead guilty of gaming wayyy too much for my own good. But I am also an avid reader (of actual physical books, I don't mean ebooks or the Internet). I'd say I spend maybe 15-20 hours a week gaming, and about 10-12 hours reading, give or take. So the ratio at worst would be 2:1.

You are right to find that disturbing. Ask the millenials how long they spend on their phones/computers vs time spent studying or reading. Then you'll probably shoot yourself~

NOTE: I do not post that much on the Reading section of the Forum because contrary to gaming I read books that few people have read (especially in America, which account for 95% of the Forum), so it would be rather pointless to discuss them here ;)

Hey, I'm a millenial (I was born in 1982) and I spend aobut 2 hours in a day for reading (even more, if I'm on a vacancy, or if I'm ill and I can't get out of home) and about... 1 or 2 hours per week gaming?

I bought a X-Box One last friday, and I spend a lot of hours (about 5 or 6) last Saturday and last Sunday gaming... about 3 hours, or maybe 4, on Monday... I didn't game yesterday... and today I watch my mom playing for about 2 minutes on WWE2K17... and that's all.

Usually I spend some hours, on some days, but not all the day, playing some online free games...

Its important for kids to read i think, but i doubt anyone is concerned about other adults brain development or maintenance here. Just another way to divide people and compare intelligence or some bullshit lol. (Even though video games can have benefits on the brain as well). I read bits and pieces of things all day, not actual books consistently, though ive a handful going right now that i pick up when i feel like it.

To tenebrae, im a millennial too and im pretty sure Milagros is online 1000x more than me and hes a baby boomer for sure. So take your generalizations elsewhere kthanks. Also i want to find the smartphone that doesnt require reading... Thatd be cool to see.

When I was growing up (like Milagros), gaming meant either playing outside, or playing a board game or cards. We had to read a lot. A bad habit I still do. Heck, ya'll are reading the forums, no? And, I'd say most of us old fogeys didn't get caught up in the computer gaming frenzy; it was interesting at first, but, we had more important things we had to deal with (jobs, kids, bills).

Its important for kids to read i think, but i doubt anyone is concerned about other adults brain development or maintenance here. Just another way to divide people and compare intelligence or some bullshit lol. (Even though video games can have benefits on the brain as well). I read bits and pieces of things all day, not actual books consistently, though ive a handful going right now that i pick up when i feel like it.

To tenebrae, im a millennial too and im pretty sure Milagros is online 1000x more than me and hes a baby boomer for sure. So take your generalizations elsewhere kthanks. Also i want to find the smartphone that doesnt require reading... Thatd be cool to see.

Mmm you are right, I was painting with too broad a brush this time around. I should be more careful, as such generalizations are neither backed by data nor very fair. That being said I was expressing a worry that I have: I am concerned about the young'uns growing up with a smartphone in their hands, something that had never happened before in previous generations. It seems to me that people in general do not read that much anymore, and that young people these days do it even less or not at all. I find that worrisome, but it is merely a concern, not "hate speech".

I do not equate reading on the Internet and reading actual books, however. Granted, there are some really bad books out there lol, but I seriously doubt the intellectual value of youtube comments or instagram captions.

I agree with you that gaming has positive effects, both on adults and children. Actually I wonder if we should be making such ratios because gaming is not really adverse to reading to begin with. At least, both require focus, which is something that seems to be seriously lacking these days. I heard though that one of the 1st things psychologists ask you if you have a gaming addiction is "When is the last time you read a book?".

Anyway, to complete my post, I left fiction books in high school/college days. After then, it's more non-fiction. But there is one self-help book that I carry in my bag all the time to perk up my spirit when I got stuck in traffic and public lounges - one from Napoleon Hill.

Anyway, to complete my post, I left fiction books in high school/college days. After then, it's more non-fiction. But there is one self-help book that I carry in my bag all the time to perk up my spirit when I got stuck in traffic and public lounges - one from Napoleon Hill.

Really? You don't read any fiction at all? Or you are just reading less of it? It's interesting because I had a period like that a few of years ago when I was working hard to finish my thesis. I had stopped reading novels altogether, instead focusing on arid essays, and detailed biographies, not to mention the time I was dedicating to studying Chinese. The tense political climate in France did not help either, with a flourish of essays which were each more interesting that the previous one. But then after graduation three years ago I picked up a novel and got an awesome feeling. It really felt like going home after a long trip abroad, to immerse myself in a fictional universe once more after a long time reading arid essays and detailed historical biographies. I had no idea that I was missing it so much until I tried, really surprising, but an exquisite sensation! :bubble: It also gave me a big boost of creativity.

Really? You don't read any fiction at all? Or you are just reading less of it? It's interesting because I had a period like that a few of years ago when I was working hard to finish my thesis. I had stopped reading novels altogether, instead focusing on arid essays, and detailed biographies, not to mention the time I was dedicating to studying Chinese. The tense political climate in France did not help either, with a flourish of essays which were each more interesting that the previous one. But then after graduation three years ago I picked up a novel and got an awesome feeling. It really felt like going home after a long trip abroad, to immerse myself in a fictional universe once more after a long time reading arid essays and detailed historical biographies. I had no idea that I was missing it so much until I tried, really surprising, but an exquisite sensation! :bubble: It also gave me a big boost of creativity.

Okay, okay.... I do read fetish fictions though, as I have read a lot from Do-Fantasy perv (damnable) stories. What I specifically meant are the Wuthering Heights and David Copperfield classics type... :D

Oh, and as you put it on studies, I also love reading detailed biographies of geniuses and who's who!

Haha the kind of people I was studying back then may have been geniuses (at least some), but they were evil geniuses. ;)

I have no idea what are the fictions you are referring to but they sound interesting. Do you have a link?

What's New

4/25/2024
Visit Tickle Experiement for clips! Details in the TE box below!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back