• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Fan For Cross Ventalization?

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
Even though this is my 10th summer living in this apartment, and I'm sure there have been many other hot days that I cannot recall.

As those who live near or close to the NY area, the entire East Coast, or even out West in the desert on a regular basis/

Today is a very hot day, in the low 90s in NYC.

I have a window unit Air Conditioner in my apartment.

It works okay at night, or say, on an 80 or 85 degree day.

Today, with it in the low 90s, with the sun beating in the apartment, even though I have my blinds drawn, it is still hot.

I have the AC on high, and it does seem to be making much of a difference, it is still blazing in here.

Do any forum members who may or might have .. a wall or window unit AC, also have a fan placed somewhere in their apartment/room etc for cross ventilation on a very hot day?

I dont know why this idea never came to me before, but it is just a thought.

I would /will be very interested to hear feedback on this.

Thanks.

Hi Mitch, I have lived in apartments with those single window units to cool multiple rooms, and they have always been lacking. Is it possible that your unit isn't functioning as well as it should be? If you've lived in the same unit for 10 years and it hasn't been replaced or at least serviced it is probably performing poorly. A fan won't do a lot if your unit isn't working well.

I've had good results with portable vented units that are not the same as window units. You may want to invest in one of those and put it in your bedroom, and or ask your landlord to have your unit serviced.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/g21286604/best-portable-air-conditioner/

Thanks for the advice Sensual. I will look into it.

My apartment is an alcove studio. It is one big room of about 600 square feet. My bed is behind a wall, but the AC unit is right near my desk and my bed.

I will check into having the AC unit serviced or look into a portable vented unit

I have at least one fan in a room when I have an A/C in the window. Without the fan the room doesn't get cool enough for me. I also hate the heat and prefer it around 60 degrees in the house. I live in Massachusetts and it may not always hit 90s but even the 80s is too hot and sticky for me. I prefer it no hotter than 65-70 degrees outside. I actually can't stand the summer and look forward to cooler weather.

Do you know how many BTUs the AC is? That info should be written on it somewhere.

Knowing how much cool it puts out will be a good indicator of whether it needs to be serviced, isn't adequate to the size of the space, or if it's just an airflow problem that a fan would fix.

Jeff, I dont know how many BTU's the AC is. I will look and try to find out.

This air conditioner is the exact same one that all of the apartments in my complex had. My friend Barney lived in this complex for many years before he moved, and his apartment, which was similar to mine, had the same type of AC unit that my apartment has.

Hoseman, I see your point.

The low to mid 90s is very unusual weather for this time of year. They are saying record high temps today. Fortunately after today it is supposed to gradually cool off. I greatly look forward to that

It shouldn't be that hot, in at least one room!
I once had mine on the wrong setting, I may have hit the wrong button on the remote or it was re-set after a power outage, I don't know.
Thought it wasn't working and finally realized it was on "fan" rather than "cool" or somesuch.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the power company or building reduces the power supply at night maybe when its cooler at night.

Right now, with the sun blazing, and the temp about 95 F, the AC seems pretty cold, its not bad in here, even with the sun beating in through the blinds.

One more day of this, then it will cool off for a while with the temps.

I greatly look forward to it. I hate very hot weather

Next time I make a thread in the winter complaining about cold weather, I am going to remember these last three days.

I cannot wait until this weather cools off.

It is horrible

Air conditioning is gonna become more and more needed I feel as time goes on.

Hell, some parts of the world are just gonna be quite simply too hot for human habitation soon.

This summer was too hot. I bought two new air conditioners for my TV launch because a single fan can't do ventilation properly. I also recommend you opt for a new air conditioner to maintain your apartment temperature.

https://gorilla-rooms.com/

God a LOT of buildings and infrastructure all the around the world are going to need better ventilation and air conditioning.

Even in NY there are old ass buildings with no A/C and that's not going to work in the future.

This week has been very difficult due to the heat wave in NYC of course.

No I did not buy a fan for Cross Ventaliation, my Bad, and my procrastination personality.

The sun beats in my apartment all afternoon until sundown, as it is now. The heat is positively intolerable.

I dont think the heat is supposed to get better until next week.

I know that we have no control over the weather.

I doesn't help Mitch that New York City is basically a colossal slab of concrete and asphalt with no trees or plants to provide shade or absorb some of the carbon.

The town I live in does have a small grassy park, but I dont go there very often. My complex has a small grassy seating area, but I dont sit there often either because its right in the sun with basically no trees.

You need some tall trees.. but not knowing how many stories up you are, good luck. Kinda why I don't like the big downtown areas in big towns.... even in Atlanta, nothin' (but, most areas there are business, so they can afford the heavy duty stuff). But, I do feel for ya, Mitch.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back