• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

AVOID TINNITUS, 24/7 Ringing in Ears, no cure! Careful w/headphones!! Unexpected

FrenzyTickles

TMF Master
AVOID TINNITUS! Continuous Ringing in Ears. Hell. "DOWNSIDE OF WEARING NOISE-CANCELING HEADPHONES"

Disclaimer: Not my experience, I'm no doctor, I don't know if this is the only way to acquire or avoid this (torture).
A friend has it, I hope a cure is discovered.

www.quora.com

Tim Denning
Top blogger on Medium.com in the category of Life LessonsWed

What is something nobody tells you, but you wish you knew earlier?
I wish someone told me earlier about the downsides of wearing noise-canceling headphones.

Today I learned that the high-pitched noise in my ear is tinnitus.

I wouldn’t wish this sh*t on my worst enemy.

Tinnitus fits the definition of insanity.

Imagine every moment of your day being punctuated by a deafening high-pitched noise. That’s what my life is now like.

How it happened

I spent my youth in nightclubs and playing drums. By my 20s, I gave up music.

But I still loved listening to music and pumping tunes.

Rewind to two years ago.

My girlfriend gifted me a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones.

I’ve said many times online that these headphones help me get into a deep flow state and block out all the noise.

The problem is I f*cked it up.

I’ve worn the headphones most days for the last 2 years during the entire 8-hour workday.

2.5 weeks ago, the high-pitched noise I used to get after work stopped going away like it normally does.

I saw the doctor today and got told it’s tinnitus.

Oh … and there’s no cure.

Takeaway

Wearing headphones every day can screw up your ears.

Lower the volume of your music (by a lot).

Take breaks from headphones.

Have days where you don’t wear headphones.

Wear earplugs at loud concerts.

Use speakers in your office instead of in-ear headphones.

I have no idea how I’m going to live with this. But I must.

Don’t be a d*ckhead like I was. You get one pair of ears. Look after them.

I have a friend and an aunt who have this. But they didn't "catch" it from wearing headphones.

In my friend's case, it's because his jawbone is exerting some kind of pressure that extends all the way to his internal ear. I am no doctor but he says it was largely caused by his weight.

My aunt suffered a perforated eardrum due to an infection and it did not heal properly.

Both of them eventually got rid of it, but it was hell during the time before they were cured :sadcry:

AVOID TINNITUS! Continuous Ringing in Ears. Hell. "DOWNSIDE OF WEARING NOISE-CANCELING HEADPHONES"

Disclaimer: Not my experience, I'm no doctor, I don't know if this is the only way to acquire or avoid this (torture).
A friend has it, I hope a cure is discovered.

[Emphasis added.]

I stopped reading after this. When I need advice about hearing, then I will consult my otolaryngologist.

[Emphasis added.]

I stopped reading after this. When I need advice about hearing, then I will consult my otolaryngologist.

This. I think a few of us are over the alarmist clickbait post threads that would be better left to the blog section.

I have a friend and an aunt who have this. But they didn't "catch" it from wearing headphones.

In my friend's case, it's because his jawbone is exerting some kind of pressure that extends all the way to his internal ear. I am no doctor but he says it was largely caused by his weight.

My aunt suffered a perforated eardrum due to an infection and it did not heal properly.

Both of them eventually got rid of it, but it was hell during the time before they were cured :sadcry:

Thank you for this additional insight! I'm very sorry they went through that but am glad to hear their conditions were temporary!

[Emphasis added.]

Also a wise decision. Hence the disclaimer, as that account is technically "hearsay". Everyone should do their own research and/or ask professionals.

But I thought it was worth sharing as this affliction has always struck me as particularly torturous, and the author obviously appears to be trying to help others avoid this particular Hell.

This. I think a few of us are over the alarmist clickbait post threads that would be better left to the blog section.

I think many more of us are over the seemingly unending alarmist projections and extraordinarily petty complaints that really weren't worth the time I've taken to barely address here.

Frenzy is a good guy.

I will just say. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, my friend. Please be careful.

Thank you for sharing. This was a thoughtful post that seems to have good intentions behind it. I wouldn't let other people's negativity stop you from posting :)

Look at how you phrase and format your threads, look at your signature, your blog, your short stint in P&R, your profile, then reread my response, then look up what alarmist means.

I eagerly await more catastrophizing.

Frenzy is a good guy.

I will just say. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, my friend. Please be careful.

Oh weird the "straight f" in the profile is interesting then.

On topic, this is a good film

Last edited:
Should I be flattered I have a stalker?

Look at how you phrase and format your threads, look at your signature, your blog, your short stint in P&R, your profile, then reread my response, then look up what alarmist means.

I eagerly await more catastrophizing.

Oh weird the "straight f" in the profile is interesting then.

On topic, this is a good film

Wow. :wow: You "eagerly await" yet another ridiculous fight you've started for no reason? You really hate people who call you out for being a narcissistic bully.

I don't have the time or need to document your harassment of others, that's common knowledge.

I'd be flattered if all of that wasn't seriously creepy, frankly.

Sorry, I'm not about to stalk your profile and try to find ammo for irrational personal attacks.

Throwing in one vid clip to make your harassment valid doesn't wash. So now you're contributing to a valid post you just referred to as alarmist....
I'd thank you for the documentary if the overall intent wasn't negative.

Really......... Who in their right mind would have a problem with a potentially helpful post? Or even a bunch of them?

You need to seriously chill out, look at how you've always treated people here, and find someone to talk to.

Last edited:
Frenzy is a good guy.

You are very sweet! It's not actually my problem, but a friend has it. Thank you for your good wishes.

Thank you for sharing. This was a thoughtful post that seems to have good intentions behind it. I wouldn't let other people's negativity stop you from posting :)

That's also very kind of you. :)

I have it. It sucks.

I am more sorry than I can say, that always struck me as horrible. I hope science catches up with this soon. Thank you for the dose of reality.

Not everything is an emergency. And please note I criticized your threads and not you. Saying you have a stalker because someone replied to your thread on an open forum just serves to reinforce my point about you exaggerating a percieved danger or problem to the level of panic.

Go talk to someone? I actually talk to a few someone's and I'd recommend the same. It's not something to shame anyone about. For all you post here, that comment is most surprising.

I'd thank you for the concern, if the overall intent wasn't negative.

Last edited:
I've heard people with tinnitus say that white noise helps, like running a fan on low speed or having some kind of noise machine. Every once in a while when I get sick my tonsils will swell up and block my eustachian tubes (passage between the throat and ear) and I get temporary tinnitus. It makes sleeping near impossible but in my personal experience as well as what I've heard from others is that something just a few feet away making noise can help. Like FrenyTickles said there's no known cure but there are things you can do that will help so if you suffer from this condition all is not lost.

Not everything is an emergency. And please note I criticized your threads and not you. Saying you have a stalker because someone replied to your thread on an open forum just serves to reinforce my point about you exaggerating a percieved danger or problem to the level of panic.

Go talk to someone? I actually talk to a few someone's and I'd recommend the same. It's not something to shame anyone about. For all you post here, that comment is most surprising.

I'd thank you for the concern, if the overall intent wasn't negative.

Nice try, but you can't go from raving hatred, blowing up a post with personal attacks to mild pseudo-psychotherapist.

If you were at all concerned, truly, you'd do what I've often done to actually be helpful --- to you as well, though you ignored them --- you'd have sent a PRIVATE MESSAGE.

But that's not nearly as much fun as harassing people publicly, complaining behind their backs, and then acting the victim.

As you have for decades. It occurred to me most of your abusive posts were so nasty they were removed, and you just keep on trolling. Your behavior is inexcusable.

My advice to you was sound, and I'm very glad you're talking to someone.

I've heard people with tinnitus say that white noise helps, like running a fan on low speed or having some kind of noise machine. Every once in a while when I get sick my tonsils will swell up and block my eustachian tubes (passage between the throat and ear) and I get temporary tinnitus. It makes sleeping near impossible but in my personal experience as well as what I've heard from others is that something just a few feet away making noise can help. Like FrenyTickles said there's no known cure but there are things you can do that will help so if you suffer from this condition all is not lost.

That might also really be helpful to someone, thank you!

I don't see any personal attacks or hatred (aside from the ones you flung my way - re: stalker, creepy, bully, not in my right mind, needing to talk to someone), but I did criticize your posting manner and I stand by that. No one here is a psychiatrist, but you were the one to introduce that topic when you felt that mental illness shaming was the low-blow route you wanted to take.

I don't see any personal attacks or hatred (aside from the ones you flung my way - re: stalker, creepy, bully, not in my right mind, needing to talk to someone), but I did criticize your posting manner and I stand by that. No one here is a psychiatrist, but you were the one to introduce that topic when you felt that mental illness shaming was the low-blow route you wanted to take.

And that right there is quite personal, in addition to the rest of it. More gaslighting, more projections of your faults upon others.

You even threw my profile contents at me, but have the manipulative audacity to state those are not personal attacks nor stalker behavior

in the midst of a thread about trying to help people avoid tinnitus. (!!) Like I said, ever TRY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE SOMEONE FIRST? As I have, often? To you as well.

No. You don't try to help.
YOU PREFER TO PUBLICLY AND PERSONALLY ASSAULT people "below the belt." Which is also why you didn't quote my last statement. You have no answer for that.

You literally just dropped in to make trouble, as usual. Go to sleep already.

You wanted quotes? I mean they're all right there on the previous page. I didn't think it was necessary to spell it out. I'm not going to repeat myself when it's clear who is doing the name-calling and all that.

I don't know what kind of private messages you're talking about. I'll go look in my inbox, but I'm not recalling these often sent PMs.

You wanted quotes? I mean they're all right there on the previous page. I didn't think it was necessary to spell it out. I'm not going to repeat myself when it's clear who is doing the name-calling and all that.

I don't know what kind of private messages you're talking about. I'll go look in my inbox, but I'm not recalling these often sent PMs.

Funny. You avoided my question - If so concerned, why haven't you private messaged anyone before (rudely blowing up their threads?)

Don't twist my words. I have PMed MANY people OFTEN to avoid publicly embarrassing folks or for whatever reason, to keep their privacy --- yourself included, over the years --- Whereas you go out of your way to cause a public scene, smearing those you don't like for any reason.

You even again quoted MY PROFILE, to attempt to expose or embarrass ---- What the hell are you doing here, in a thread about TINNITUS??? Other than blowing it up?

Calling a stalker a stalker (etc.) is quite appropriate, behavior as inappropriate & unpleasant as yours needs to be identified.

But you're right, your posts here certainly do speak for themselves.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thank you to anyone who tried to be helpful, again, this struck me as an especially horrible affliction. (No, I don't have it myself.)

If anyone has any further useful suggestions to avoid this nightmare, please do not be discouraged from posting them.

Thank you again, I hope you find solutions!

Last edited:

Yes this☝️ I also have a touch of tinnitus, and it can be a lil irritating at times, but it's really not THAT bad! I never really notice it until Its totally quiet around me, like u can hear the neighbors crickets screwing type quiet, which it's very rare for my surroundings to be THAT quiet. But some little noise maker like a fan, radio or something similar pretty much rights the ship, for me anyways.

As someone who has a different chronic no cure available condition I feel your pain. I get it from time to time, but it ALWAYS goes away with holding my hand over my ear for a minute tops. The worst thing anyone can tell you is it's not that bad, or could be worse. Imagine now though my health problem. Benign fasciculation syndrome. In essence I twitch a lot sometimes for days at a stretch. At least with BFS there is botox, but it only really works tops of 6 weeks before beginning to wear off and then having to go 10 weeks till you can get more relief or if more often I could develop an immunity to botox. And believe me before the first injection Nov 2014 I was seriously considering putting an end to it all as it was at best 1 day a month that wasn't just god awful. Not sure how old you are, but you sound maybe my age (40) or maybe slightly older. Unfortunately I think those of us over the age 20, 30 maybe, there won't be a cure in our lifetimes. Still, they did find a drug that significantly slows down the progression of ALS.

In my friend's case, it's because his jawbone is exerting some kind of pressure that extends all the way to his internal ear.

I have tinnitus. I've always thought it's because of my music hobby, but what you said about jawbone made me think. I know I tend to bite my teeth together and my jaw muscles feel often they are tired from it as well as feelin "worked out". Could be my jaw is at least part of the problem.

Could you tell more about how that was cured eventually? If there's any chance to lessen my tinnitus, it's worth a shot.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back