• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

A mild complaint against the world.

BlasterMaster

1st Level Yellow Feather
Sooo, I went into a grocery store last night and a young woman who looked very down on her luck stole like, $15 worth of food. An old grocery lady asked me to block the homeless woman's way out of the entrance. I didn't do shit to stop her as I don't blame people stealing to survive and I'm not a police officer so I don't interfere at all in crimes of any kind. Then the old conservative woman accused me of aiding and abetting the thief to which I said (A): It wasn't my problem, (B): I don't work here, (C): I'm not a cop, and (D): I don't blame people stealing to eat.

The old woman proceeds to follow me throughout the store for the next 25 minutes ranting and raving how me and everyone like me are what's wrong with this nation and when I finally get up to self-check out, she says she's going to ask the manager to make sure I never come back. So now I'm not sure I'll be able to shop at that grocery store again and if it's true that I'm barred from it, I actually think I'm going to sue the company that owns it. I'm not their fucking security guard and if they want me to block starving people from trying to get something to eat then they can go to HELL!

Why didn't you pay for her food?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Even as an employee at a few retail places, we were always told to NOT try to stop a shoplifter; often was grounds for dismissal if we did. Yes, you don't know if that person had a weapon, or such. If the store can't hire security, then that's their problem. I would at least complain to the store management, and maybe even their corporate management. As you said, security there ain't your job.

You weren't wrong for not getting involved. It is not your job.

I, however, wouldn't have chosen to spend ANY money at that establishment ever again based upon the actions of that employee.

Why didn't you pay for her food?

She was running out the door. I didn't have time to talk to her.

Believe me I wanted to give her money for food, clothes, and a hotel room for the night.

But I didn't get the chance.

Even as an employee at a few retail places, we were always told to NOT try to stop a shoplifter; often was grounds for dismissal if we did. Yes, you don't know if that person had a weapon, or such. If the store can't hire security, then that's their problem. I would at least complain to the store management, and maybe even their corporate management. As you said, security there ain't your job.

That's EXACTLY what I was taught when I worked retail before getting a job at management for hospital receptionists. This old woman working at the grocery store is fucking INSANE!

You weren't wrong for not getting involved. It is not your job.

Not only is it not my job it's against my moral code to prevent starving people from eating.

I, however, wouldn't have chosen to spend ANY money at that establishment ever again based upon the actions of that employee.

Believe me I am highly tempted. The only reason I shop there is because the store is conveniently located quite near my apartment and sometimes (when my car is in the shop) I need to walk to it to get groceries as there is little to NO public transportation my area. Sigh...:(

That is a very unfortunate experience and, in my opinion, you did the right thing.

If anything, the old grocery lady (we'll call her "Karen") is guilty of harassing a random customer.

You were not wrong for not trying to stop. the shoplifter

What happened if the woman who took food, had a knife or something, and you put yourself in danger.??

If the person who worked at the store was so angry, and wanted to deal with the shoplifter, the store employee could have called the cops.

I would never shop at that place again if I were you.

So a current employee (old grocery lady) wants you (a customer) to block the entrance to stop a shop lifter ? That's insane, its not your job to stop another customer from engaging in criminal activity and jeopardize yourself from getting attacked. You should not feel funny about shopping there again but if that employee harrasses you then speak to managemrnt about her.

You don't typically have the legal ability to stop the shoplifter, so you made the right call. I understand the lady's angst, but there's no reason to take it out on you.

If she was homeless, then the theft was understandable. Around here, however, we have a lot of shoplifters that aren't exactly desperate, but they typically steal things other than food. The rest of us get to pay higher prices as a result, and we even get to pay higher taxes as well.

How do you know this woman was conservative?
And stopping to talk to the shoplifter or not, somehow you knew she stole 15 bucks worth of stuff, pay for it. Give the old woman her 15 bucks. Ive done it before. Guessed the price, rounded up and paid. Less ranting and more helping is whats needed these days. And now youre going to sue them? Why invite more strife? Just go to a different store. In my opinion, everything your complaining about, you did nothing to help the situation. Pay for the food, guess how much, and go on about your day
Instead youre posting here for people to back you up. Life is alot easier when you stop looking for things to be upset about.

Better yet, why not follow the poor woman outside and give her real help? That food she stole was just a bandaid. If it was even food that she took at all.

Another reason there absolutely must be a Universal Basic Income for all, regardless of employment status or desire.

How do you know this woman was conservative?

I know the old lady who worked at the store was conservative because she had a MAGA hat on and mentioned Trump over and over again as she ranted to me.

And stopping to talk to the shoplifter or not, somehow you knew she stole 15 bucks worth of stuff, pay for it. Give the old woman her 15 bucks. Ive done it before. Guessed the price, rounded up and paid. Less ranting and more helping is whats needed these days.

Your suggesting I compensate the grocery store after one of it's employees treated me like shit? Yeah, nooo...not gonna happen. Also I doubt the old woman would have accepted my money anyways. She was far to bitter.

And now you're going to sue them? Why invite more strife? Just go to a different store.

I was going to sue if they actually blocked me from coming back. The grocery store is conveniently located down the street for me and my prescriptions are at the store's pharmacy. Fortunately the old woman apparently quit her job (or was fired; I don't know which) and I'm not blocked from coming back so the problem is solved.

In my opinion, everything your complaining about, you did nothing to help the situation.

I honestly don't care about your opinion.

Pay for the food, guess how much, and go on about your day.

No.

Instead you're posting here for people to back you up.

I'm posting here because I worked 14 hours that day, was tired, and then had THAT happen to me as I was doing a run for groceries. It's called getting something off your chest.

Life is a lot easier when you stop looking for things to be upset about.

Unfortunately my life has a lot of things upsetting me. Maybe you could be a tiny bit understanding and empathic instead of critical?

Better yet, why not follow the poor woman outside and give her real help? That food she stole was just a bandaid. If it was even food that she took at all.

I was tired and she was running away at top speed. Also I suffer from lower back pain. There is no way I could catch her.

Well, bad day, tired, back pain, im sure that homeless woman would understand. Sounds like you have done, and are doing everything you can to be part of the solution. Hats off to you!

Another reason there absolutely must be a Universal Basic Income for all, regardless of employment status or desire.

Unless you plan on getting rid of the existing welfare state first, that's not feasible.

Sooo, I went into a grocery store last night and a young woman who looked very down on her luck stole like, $15 worth of food. An old grocery lady asked me to block the homeless woman's way out of the entrance. I didn't do shit to stop her as I don't blame people stealing to survive and I'm not a police officer so I don't interfere at all in crimes of any kind. Then the old conservative woman accused me of aiding and abetting the thief to which I said (A): It wasn't my problem, (B): I don't work here, (C): I'm not a cop, and (D): I don't blame people stealing to eat.

The old woman proceeds to follow me throughout the store for the next 25 minutes ranting and raving how me and everyone like me are what's wrong with this nation and when I finally get up to self-check out, she says she's going to ask the manager to make sure I never come back. So now I'm not sure I'll be able to shop at that grocery store again and if it's true that I'm barred from it, I actually think I'm going to sue the company that owns it. I'm not their fucking security guard and if they want me to block starving people from trying to get something to eat then they can go to HELL!

Dude, I'm so sorry this happened to you :shock: First and foremost, you have my sympathies~

Second, no regrets: you made the right call. You couldn't have vouched for whether she had a weapon, or a deadly disease or whatever. No sense getting in harm's way, especially for the sake of an old coot who's able to harass a customer for 25 minutes straight. Mind you, this is only my opinion.

IF you did try to intervene, I believe the law would have been on your side, though. A guy from Arizona who used to to volunteer work for the Border Patrol once told me that any citizen is authorized to make an arrest if said citizen has witnessed a crime. You would probably have ended up being a hero if, say, you'd have pulled out a gun, and had detained her until the cops had arrived. But again, no regrets. The risk was far exceeding the reward here.

I do not mean to derail the thread by starting a debate on the topic, but I'd be scared to live in such a society :scream:

Last edited:
IF you did try to intervene, I believe the law would have been on your side, though. A guy from Arizona who used to to volunteer work for the Border Patrol once told me that any citizen is authorized to make an arrest if said citizen has witnessed a crime.

That's probably Arizona state law Ten.

NY state law is probably very different.

As far as "pulling a gun", despite what you hear about the US, if you pull a gun on someone (unless for self defense), you in a heap of trouble.

As far as "pulling a gun", despite what you hear about the US, if you pull a gun on someone (unless for self defense), you in a heap of trouble.

True, brandishing can be a serious charge. Every jurisdiction has different criteria for it, but yeah, one of the first things you learn in a concealed carry class is the legal use of a firearm, which includes when you can withdraw your weapon.

True, brandishing can be a serious charge. Every jurisdiction has different criteria for it, but yeah, one of the first things you learn in a concealed carry class is the legal use of a firearm, which includes when you can withdraw your weapon.

Fair enough guys, let's say he tackled her to the ground or something, either way my point still stands :p

No your not! And it also depends greatly on what state your pulling said gun in aswell. But if your in a "Red State" , and your intentions are self defense of yourself or anyone else, u ain't In no heap of trouble. Lol I can't vouch for the "blue" states, these days it seems most of them kinda make up the rules as they go anyhow. And then lie about it, and then later they forget they lied, then lie about that, then it gets to where they can't keep up with their own lies, and eventually it becomes a giant cluster fuck , much like what they have going on right now. Lol

No your not! And it also depends greatly on what state your pulling said gun in aswell. But if your in a "Red State" , and your intentions are self defense of yourself or anyone else, u ain't In no heap of trouble. Lol I can't vouch for the "blue" states, these days it seems most of them kinda make up the rules as they go anyhow. And then lie about it, and then later they forget they lied, then lie about that, then it gets to where they can't keep up with their own lies, and eventually it becomes a giant cluster fuck , much like what they have going on right now. Lol

While I agree that red states usually have better gun laws and better self-defense laws, even most of them limit how you can use a weapon, but for good reason.

For example, most "stand your ground" laws are not the wild west stereotype that the media tries to spin them as. Stand your ground only makes the distinction that you do not have a duty to retreat. In states without stand your ground laws, defending yourself is often limited to situations where you can't retreat or if you are in your home. Granted, some states even make it difficult to defend your home against an intruder.

Even the bluest states aren't as bad about this as many foreign countries though. If your home gets invaded in the UK, you basically have to try to escape with the hope that the criminal doesn't kill you or capture you first. If you attack the intruder, you may end up in jail.

While I don't condone theft, you are right - you're not a police officer and thereby not allowed to intervene.

What's New

3/28/2024
Stop by the TMF Welcome Forum and take a second to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back