• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Does a lack of replies mean a story wasn't liked?

inflight82

TMF Novice
I'm going to take a chance on sounding overly sensitive but I have been dabbling in writing more and I get discouraged when I post and don't get replies. But I do see the view counter ticking. I wonder if my post was appreciated or if people just popped in, gave it a glance, and left.

I especially wonder since I favor gay stories if the genre just isn't popular. I really admire Zanadu. His stories aren't quite my cup of tea and I notice he seldom gets replies but he cranks them out like a factory and I admire that dedication. They don't get as many views as the straight stories but they do seem to get consistent views.

I did hear some say the place isn't as active as it used to be. It does take some time and effort to make a story and I want to write some good tales with some depth but I also wonder if those stories actually are being read and enjoyed or if I'm posting something that is going to be skimmed and forgotten. Feels like a waste to put time into a story no one really cares for.

I hope this doesn't sound like a pity party. I just kind of wonder about the non reply views and if it's people who like the story and just don't have the words or the time which is understandable or if my stories are just kind of glanced over.

There must be plenty of confounding factors. A view count increasing more rapidly than average might indicate more repeat readers than average or simply a more widely-intriguing title. Some might be disinclined to comment on something they personally still worry is shameful or socially unacceptable, even on an adult forum, whereas more "mainstream" adult material might put the hesitant at ease. I have the sense that some who most deeply cherish and explore others' writing can be the most private, regardless. Some are worried about bothering artists with messages and comments and are reassured when the artist welcomes or solicits them. And so on.

So I think it's risky to infer correlations between view counts, replies, and whether real people actually spend time reading and enjoying, but I wouldn't get discouraged unless you prioritize popularity over self-satisfaction. If you do, then you might be willing to experiment with what you write about, but if you're "writing for yourself," as many will offer as their first and only piece of advice to other writers, then I'd suggest just being satisfied that you found the effort and courage to share what's in you, and that it will be there for the one or two or x people who find and appreciate it most, even if you never know it. I wouldn't call that a waste; I'd call it one of the most purpose-fitting uses of the web in one of the first ages it's ever been possible.

Years ago I posted a story that got over 20,000 views and no replies. I had the same question that you asked, whether everybody just glanced at it and didn't like it. I thought that I should complement the producer of a story or photo that I had liked.

That its when I began posting my typical
"Great photos! :feets: Thanks for sharing them here. :D "
whenever I liked photos that somebody posted.

But most people don't bother to comment, so don't take it as a sign that people didn't like your stories.

I totally feel the same way when i post a new story, comments to me are super important. I'd much rather have a story with ten comments and a hundred views, than a story with one comment and a thousand views.

I've felt the same way about stuff I've posted that was viewed but not replied to.

I think the earlier replies here got it right. I’ve been asked a couple times for advice about posting stories here. I tell people to temper their expectations as far as reactions and comments go. Very, VERY rarely will someone give you a detailed comment that might indicate a close read. Usually you’ll get a “great story!” or something.

And I am NOT griping about this. I cherish those "great job" comments. But I think it's just the way things go. I don’t think the lack of comments meant no one liked it. I think it just means… they didn’t comment.

I’m as guilty as anyone of reading stories here I quite liked but didn’t leave a comment. And I should. I’ve posted several stories on the TMF. When I posted my first story, I was REALLY nervous about it, but it garnered a few comments; if it hadn’t, I’m not sure I would have posted anymore. The second story I posted… got nuthin’. It languished in the depths of the story forum for nearly a year before a kind soul plucked it from the abyss.

So yeah… it sucks to feel ignored. You may be writing for yourself, but if we take the next step of “sharing” it with others, we want some validation. Even a little bit goes a long way (that’s why we always appreciate milagros’ efforts in that regard).

I think this place just isn’t as interactive as it used to be. Plenty of people may read or view but very few comment. I hardly get any engagement from anyone on anything here, but I’m ok with it.

Even in the heyday of the forums activity a story could see tens of thousands of views and receive no comments.

The simple fact is that most people who consume the stories are looking for something to wank off to. They find it, do it, and close the browser and off to the rest of their day. It did its job and very very few people are ever moved to post positive feedback to work. It's no shade on the quality of the work, or anything really. Just that people in general don't respond with positive feedback usually, and rarely with bad feedback unless they are especially outraged by something. (How dare you not include nylon tickling in your story!!!! U suck!)

Myriads

Even in the heyday of the forums activity a story could see tens of thousands of views and receive no comments.

The simple fact is that most people who consume the stories are looking for something to wank off to. ...

Myriads
I did once receive a Private Message about the story "Sisters" from a guy who said it was the best story he had ever read and that he had masturbated five times while reading it. I thought, wow, it would be wonderful to be 19 again and able to have five ejaculations in one day.
https://www.ticklingforum.com/showthread.php?28954-Sisters-(F-m)

Sometimes the scenario might not be to someone's liking. The title might not have been what the reader thought it was going to be. I would call myself fussy when it comes to what I enjoy reading. So that's a few reasons anyway.

I'm going to take a chance on sounding overly sensitive but I have been dabbling in writing more and I get discouraged when I post and don't get replies. But I do see the view counter ticking. I wonder if my post was appreciated or if people just popped in, gave it a glance, and left.

I especially wonder since I favor gay stories if the genre just isn't popular. I really admire Zanadu. His stories aren't quite my cup of tea and I notice he seldom gets replies but he cranks them out like a factory and I admire that dedication. They don't get as many views as the straight stories but they do seem to get consistent views.

I did hear some say the place isn't as active as it used to be. It does take some time and effort to make a story and I want to write some good tales with some depth but I also wonder if those stories actually are being read and enjoyed or if I'm posting something that is going to be skimmed and forgotten. Feels like a waste to put time into a story no one really cares for.

I hope this doesn't sound like a pity party. I just kind of wonder about the non reply views and if it's people who like the story and just don't have the words or the time which is understandable or if my stories are just kind of glanced over.

I don't mean to be rude, and please don't take this the wrong way, but TMF people aren't shy about voicing dislike. If someone hates your story, they WILL tell you. They will post or they will DM you, but you will be told in explicit detail all the many and varied ways that your story sucked and that you are a hack. Or you'll be told that it was a great story, but it needs more upper-body tickling, or it needs more bondage predicaments, or it needs a medieval setting, or it needs everyone to be naked, or dressed or it needs more tickling or less tickling or more scenery or less dialogue.

If no one is saying a word, assume that everyone is happy. The same people who will spend an hour telling you how one line in the 5th paragraph made them quit their job and go on a drunken stupor for 5 days.. they will literally die before wasting a compliment on mere mortals like you and me. It was better at Tickle Theatre-- you always felt appreciated as a writer there-- but the TMF, it is what it is.

I agree with what a lot of folks are saying here. There are tons of factors. I will say what I've said to other erotic audio creators who worried about not getting as many upvotes as they'd wish for:
Eroticism is incredibly personal and specific. Even here, amongst other people who enjoy tickling erotically, you'll find no end to the differences between us on this one, niche topic. (Soft tickling? Torture? Non-consent fantasies? Tools? Sexual tickling? Tickle talk? Bondage? The list goes on.) The fact is, it's pretty hard to create something that's going to light up everyone's imagination. It's practically impossible. So, the best you can really do is light up your own imagination and speak to those other imaginations like yours. And, then, those people who are really moved by your writing may feel too shy to respond. It's flustering to find something that really speaks to your erotic mind. But they may keep it and cherish it and think about it always.

So, you know... Whether you get hundreds of replies or none, it's important that it's out there, I think. And, (heck, I've repeated this enough that it's starting to sound worn out to me) remember, the thing that is considered widely to be "good" is often considered only just "good," not great. The thing that is divisive may be disliked by some but is often loved by those that see the value in it.

Door 44 Productions
What's New

4/23/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome Forum and take a moment to say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back