• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Got an Opinion Or Suggestion On Media Player ?

P50

TMF Expert
Okay, new computer, and as has become typical, the software vendors continue to make just enough changes so that everything you once knew is now worthless. (Rectified, of course, by spending more money)

And so,,,

I want to read simple opinions on what's good and what's bad about the various media players which are available today.

I'm in the mood to consider suggestions about what approach to take toward audio and visual media on a computer.

e.g., "Don't download such-and-so because it corrupts thus-and-so" or "Get the so-and-so which can do a better job of whatever-and-such"

Suggestions on setting up the (new, improved, no doubt) Microsoft Media thing will also be welcome. I'm really wondering what it's going to be reporting to Redmond about my activity.

Real Player:
Advantages: Plays all real media files (.rm, .ram, etc). With the addition of the Divx codec (More on that later), it can play .avi files. I believe it can play Windows Media files with additional codecs. Can play .mpeg and .mpg movies I believe.

Disadvantage: Intrusive, bordering on spyware/malware (Although its "Message Center," which will display pop-up messages from time-to-time, can be disabled. MASSIVE resource hog, uses far more than its fair share of computer power.

Quicktime:
Advantages: Plays any Apple Quicktime file. Less of a resource hog than RealPlayer.

Disadvantages: Annoying "Upgrade to Quicktime Pro" messages on startup, only plays Apple files (A rarity in today's internet).

Windows Media Player:
Advantages: Can play an enourmous range of files, from all windows files (.wmv, .wav), to .mpg and .mpeg, to RealMedia files (Although it will complain when you open them). Already installed with Windows, although an upgrade to version 10 is reccomended.

Disadvantages: Like all proprietary Windows hooey, it has more holes than your mother's sieve. Can sometimes use up a large amout of RAM, especially as you move to newer versions.

Myself, I choose the alternative.

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack: http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

Advantages: Can play ANY file of ANY type, provided all the inculded codecs are installed. Has its own free, stripped-down and pruely functional versions of RealPlayer and Quicktime, and also includes Windows Media codecs to play WM files. Also includes codecs to nearly every format available (Ogg Vorbis and others). No spyware, no adware, uses fewer resources than all the others. Allows you to uninstall ALL the other players (Although Windows Media Player should probably be left in just in case).

Disadvantages: You should have (but do not need) a decent knowledge of computers to be sure you install what you need. Installing the included Windows Media codecs will render Windows Media Player 10 inoperable due to the fact that it has the 7/8/9 codecs, and not the ten. Likely to be fixed shortly.

My comp came with Nero (cd/dvd burning software) Version 6 on it. They had a major update, and with it came a new media player. Besides the retro-looking skin that made me scream like a girl (it looks like the early cd players that were as big as vcr's, and all of the buttons correspond to different functions...really sweet), it will play almost anything. On my rig it doesnt use a whole lot of resources (512 RAM with a 3.06 P4). You can do anything with it you can on Windows Media Player.

What's New

5/12/2024
There will be Trivia in our Chat Room this Sunday evening at 11PM EDT. Join us!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back