• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Any Buddhists On The TMF For Some Advice?

Sacrifice

TMF Poster
No im not segregating religion or mocking Buddhism. Quite the contrary I just purchased the book "Teach Yourself Buddhism" and am very interested in becoming in the way of Zen. However it seems like a really detailed and hard religion to get into (then again arent all religions). Can any Zen masters on here on the TMF give me some advice on how to proceed on my Buddhist path please? :wavingguy

Not a Buddhist, just interested in Eastern religions and things metaphysical. For a light introduction to Buddhism and eastern religions in general, I recommend the Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra. It compares the teachings of eastern religions (mainly Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism) to findings in quantum physics.

If you're like me and not much of a reader, its also available in abridged form on both cassette and CD.

What I can tell you of what little I know about Zen is that it tries to call one's attention to the limits of logical thinking. The limits of the intellect is a common theme in all the major eastern religions, but it is especially true in Zen.

Through the intellect we can get only an approximate, filtered interpretation of reality, filtered by our preconcieved ideas and experiences. In our mind's attempt to make sense of our experience, we get a map to the territory, but the map is not the territory itself. And some people's maps are much more useful and helpful to them than others.

But even those are just maps. Approximations based on past experience, and not truly objective. This is why it takes so much more to upset an "enlightened master" than the average person. He/she is able to see the world without that filter of past experience, and see it truly objectively.

Don't know if any of that was helpful to you or not. I also recommend the Complete Idiot's Guide to Zen Living and the Complet Idiot's Guide to Understanding Buddhism.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...002-1990719-5793633?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...002-1990719-5793633?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Born and raised Roman Catholic~the family is Italian, but when I was a teen, my step-granddad became a Buddhist monk~it's a religion that I've come to love~I find it very calming in a world that strikes me as out of control. I try to learn and practice as much of it as I can because while I love God with all my heart, I've come to loathe the Catholic church. I just find them hypocritical and unrealistic for the times. Every day I get a very cool Buddhist "words of wisdom" message from a website that I love. I don't have the site memorized but will pass it on to you tomorrow...
XOXO

when i was in japan i studied nichiren shoshu buddhism - the chanting as well...man nyoho renge kyo.

pick up the book by the same name of the sect. its great.

having said that with an open mind.....have U accepted our Lord as your personal savior? dont answer....just something to think about!

steph said:
Born and raised Roman Catholic~the family is Italian, but when I was a teen, my step-granddad became a Buddhist monk~it's a religion that I've come to love~I find it very calming in a world that strikes me as out of control. I try to learn and practice as much of it as I can because while I love God with all my heart, I've come to loathe the Catholic church. I just find them hypocritical and unrealistic for the times. Every day I get a very cool Buddhist "words of wisdom" message from a website that I love. I don't have the site memorized but will pass it on to you tomorrow...
XOXO

I am italian also Steph and went to Catholic grammar school and saw how "mercyful" the teachers were (just like the bible says) in their cruel mental and physical punishment. Buddhism just looks like something I can really get into. Send me that link please if you remember it? Thanx! :)

Thank you Steph for the link. goddessofpixies and I plan to go to a Buddhist temple here in New York City. I figure there would be the obvious place to learn. I did pick up "Teaching Yourself Buddhism" just for the basic overview of the subject. Thanx again for the link!! See ya round!! :D

Sorry to double post but Steph the link you gave me is to an email addy. Should I email this person for a site or something? Im afraid im a bit unclear. :ermm:

Just peeked in to see if you got any answers. I'm not buddhist. But, I take an interest in all things spiritual. It's the same God. We just see him in different ways. Anywhooo, that link is from the site BeliefNet You'll be able to find info. on many faiths there.

Ann

TklDuo-Ann said:
Just peeked in to see if you got any answers. I'm not buddhist. But, I take an interest in all things spiritual. It's the same God. We just see him in different ways. Anywhooo, that link is from the site BeliefNet You'll be able to find info. on many faiths there.

Ann

Ah! I see now. Thanks for clearing that up Ann! Nice to meet you if we havent met. :triangle:

Thanks for the help Ann!
And you're welcome Sacrifice~enjoy! There's another book I read a kid: "Wherever you go, that's where you are..." I think was the name, I'm not sure of author tho~I'll have to dig around.
XOXO

steph said:
Thanks for the help Ann!
And you're welcome Sacrifice~enjoy! There's another book I read a kid: "Wherever you go, that's where you are..." I think was the name, I'm not sure of author tho~I'll have to dig around.
XOXO

Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life by Jon Kabat-Zinn Could that be it? :wavingguy

THAT's IT babe~thank YOU! :twohugs:

CaptainQuantum said:
Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life by Jon Kabat-Zinn Could that be it? :wavingguy

What's New

4/18/2024
Need to report a post? Click the report button to its lower left!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back