• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Any Discworld fans out there?

guitman69

TMF Master
I've read all of them, except for the latest 2 (waiting for them to come out on paperback).

My favorites are 'Soul Music' and 'Small Gods'.

"Thief of time" is brilliant. Pratchet adapted the character of the sweeper somewhat, as well as changing the look and feel of the history monks (Seen first in "Small Gods"), leading to a high-speed novel of intrigue, mystery and chocolate. Myria leJean has to be the coolest sideline character ever! Besides, this novel has Susan, Daughter of Death in it, and that means it has to be good.
Also, I really like the Ankh-Morpork city guard novels. I long to be like Captain Carrot :)

my favourite is 'The Truth'.

Hello Mr. Dibbler, pissing in the fountain of truth again?

Marauder, I couldn't agree with you more about "Thief of Time". The character of Lu-Tze was truly inspirational...as was the Igor (at [email protected])

I was very fond of "Guards, Guards!", when we are first introduced to Carrot, the six-foot dwarf.

I've always been fascinated by Pratchett's brilliant usage of footnotes in his novels. This has been a stroke of literary genius.*

All in all, I'd have to say that Terry Pratchett has done for fantasy what the late Douglas Adams did for sci-fi.

*This statement has not been proven by either the Geniuses Guild or anyone of vague importance at Unseen University. This is the sole opinion of the Author. As such, it is presented to you to either file away as fact or toss into the River Ankh. Please note that the latter choice may result in personal injury as said opinion bounces off the surface...it is summer after all.

I love the way he seems to take the concept of time, then expand it into wasting time, spending time, needing time, running out of time, saving time, then turns that into a very clever novel.

The Mrs. and I are both Discworld fans. <i>Thief of Time</i> was great indeed, but my favorite in the series so far has been <i>Small Gods.</i>

Umm could someone explain to the summary of Discworld to me? Sounds interesting.

The world is flat and round, kinda like a pancake, and rests on the shoulders of four elephants, who in turn stand on the back of a turtle (Great A'Tuin, if memory serves). This is not only scientific fact, but undisputable*. In this world, dwarfes and trolls exist, just as elves do (And they are truly to be feared, the buggers!) Teeming Metropolis Ankh-Morpork** bustles with life and crime, the former sometimes cut short by the latter***, the latter being fought by the Ankh-Morpork city watch, commandeered by commander Vimes, who is strongly supported by six-foot dwarf (adopted) Captain Carrot Ironfounderson (sp?), Angua the werewolf (who shares more than the grimy patrol routes with Carrot), the troll Detritus and the golem Dorfl, amongst many others.
At the same time, Witches cruise through the air, meddling in other peoples affairs, wizards try not to die from starvation in the Unseen University*****. One particular wizzard (spelled like this, yes) tries to outrun death, or rather Death, who has a great interest in him as his 'pet project'.

There's much more to be discovered. I suggest you get a few books (There's like a trillion of them already, because Terry Pratchet is a complete lunatic when it comes to output) and get to reading!

:D

*Even though the sailors sailing too close to the rim of the Round Ocean tried to dispute it with a long, drawn out "NOOOOOOO" as they plummeted into the void, they didn't end up convincing anyone.

**Immortalized in shanties and songs like "Take me away from Ank-Morpork", "Ankh-Morpork, you ugly pimple" and "Oh, I wish I'd never come to Ankh-Morpork"

***This circumstance often leads to a meeting with Death****, WHO TALKS LIKE THIS.

****An anthropomorphic manifestation who owes his existance as a six-foot-high skeleton in a long, black robe to popular belief, that is, what the general subconsciousness believes to be true. He lives in the endless void beyond space and time, together with his butler Alfred and his horse Binky. He has a daughter named Susan, Who is a schoolteacher and just entered a torrid romance with the manifestation of Time.

*****Located one-third in Ankh-Morpork, one third in unknown dimensions, and two thirds in the architect's fevirish dreams, plus five-eigths in L-space******.

******Which is something only librarians have to know about*******.

*******The librarian of the Unseen University is an Orang-Utang who will screw your head off for calling him an animal.

Thanks for explaining it to us, Marauder. I thought Discworld was a CD store or something! :D

Excellent discription Marauder, I don't think Pratchet could have done any better.

The only thing though, the librarian gets violent when you call him a monkey.

I know, guitman69. I just didn't want to be the only one to wear his head on backwards...

Discworld - favorite characters?

I got hooked on Discworld years ago. Terry Pratchet is great at satire and developing characters that you come to enjoy.

So my question is, as a sub topic...

Who are your favorite characters and maybe why?

All time favorite character (and he is for a lot of people)

DEATH

he has a great attitude about life (or lack of it) and has some of the best lines in the book. Reaper Man was one of my favorites.

next up...

Granny Weatherwax

She's got a great attitude on things. I like how they have explored her character and her relation to others on the disc.

the third slot is a three way tie for me

The Patrician, Commander Carrot, and The Librarian

The Patrician because he's not really a villain and borderline hero, but is the best man for the job. I like how his logic and thinking work with the situations at hand and how he manipulates without pushing hard.

Commander Carrot because he's so goody goody it's fun. One of my favorite bits with him was when he was first introduced into the world as he was heading to the city. Bandits would jump out with weapons drawn to rob him, look at him and say "Oh sorry, thought you were someone else," and jump back in the bushes.

The Librarian - He's my favorite at the University, he's just so entertaining with his Ooks.

finally
Rincewind - best coward ever!

and

Cut-Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler

I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Pratchet when I saw an ad in the paper saying he was going to be at a local bookstore doing signings of his latest book "The Fifth Elephant." (okay latest at the TIME). I brought two books (both Fifth Elephant I think) to sign, one for me and one for my friend Michelle in San Diego as a present. I also got a poster of the Disc that they were selling because it was nice.

So I wait in line behind other fans/nerds. Some people brought like 10 or 12 things for him to sign. He was nice enough and signed them though. So when I was my turn I handed him the book for Michelle, and he signed it to her. Then it was time for my book.

Terry: Who shall I sign this for?

Me: Make it out to The Bagelfather.

At that point Terry stopped, there was a five second pause and he turned and looked up at me.

Terry: "The Bagelfather?"

Me: Yup, that's my nickanme. It's a play on words for Jewish Godfather.

At that point he thought it was hilarious and started doing some Godfather imitations and tried doing the theme song from The Godfather. So I got to talk to him for a couple of minutes (btw he's a bit bitter on the subject of the movie "Good Omens."

When I went to leave he asked if I wanted the poster signed. I told him that I didn't want to be selfish about it (not those exact words but that context). He said nonsense, I had a lot less than everyone else and he would be glad to sign it. So he did
To The Bagelfather, Oy Vey, Terry Pratchet.

I spent about $100 having the poster matted and put in a nice ready frame.

So I can say that he's a really really nice guy. One day I hope to run into him again and see if he remembers The Bagelfather.

My favorite characters would be:

The wizards of U.U. After "Sourcery" when Ridcully took over as Arch-Chancellor, this includes Rincewind and the Librarian.

C.M.O.T. Dibbler- How about a sausage inna bun?

I like Nanny Ogg better than Granny Weatherwax. She's much funnier.

And the talking dog. I'm having a major mental block right now and I can't remember his name.

I love the Discworld novels. A client turned me on to them, and although I haven't read all of them, I've read quite a few..

I think my favorite Discworld personality is Death.

Did any of you read the book that Terry Pratchett wrote with Neil Gaiman? It was called "Good Omens", and it was about the end of the world, and it was, of course, brilliant.

Thanks Biggles, that was driving me nuts. I'm so horrible with names.

{guitman69 slams hand into forehead repeatedly}

no worries, I've just got the right kinda memory for remembering crap like that! :D

What's New

5/22/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for more tickling clips of all sorts then anyplace else!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back