• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

What Methods Do You Use.. To Apply For Jobs?

Mitchell

Level of Coral Feather
I'm posting this thread as a general discussion topic, for the purpose of getting feedback, and advice..

For the members of the forum, like myself.. who are seeking employment, and are actively looking for jobs..

How do you go about your job search? What do you do to engage in your job search?

As I may have posted in my blog, and maybe another thread about this topic.

I've applied to many ads, for many different kinds of jobs, on Craigslist, and also sent in e-mail replies, for jobs, from e-mails I get, from the numerous jobs websites I'm signed up with.

I've been to some temping, and outsourcing agencies.

Someone I know advised me to "Take my resume and go door to door".

Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems. odd.. or awkward.

"Hi, I''m here looking for a job".

I'm hopeful I can get some sound advice from people who are in the same situation i'm in, looking for employment, to learn how they go about looking for jobs. Maybe I can learn something I can do differently, to look, from what I've already been doing.,

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reverse market yourself. Get the phone book, find your industry and cold call these employers.

The internet has made it more difficult to be personable with employers. It's all online applications, literacy and numeracy tests, rejection emails and middle man recruitment agencies.

Have an attitude that says, "looking for work is for now my full time gig".

Cold calling and marketing yourself may become tedious, but you're benefiting yourself by skipping the middle man.

Tbanks xionking. I appreciate the advice.

There are two problems for me with what you suggested.

I'm an insurance agent, insurance agents are paid only by commission, and I need a job with a salary, so at this point I'd look for any kind of sales/office job that has a salary.

Also, what you said about cold calling.

Such is why I had to leave my last position at Aflac in the first place. I have a stutter when I get very nervous, and much of the job at Aflac was cold calling, which I couldnt do, and which was why I had to leave.

Thanks for the advice, though. I know it was sincere, and I appreciate it.

Frankly, Mitch, I think the best thing you could ever do for yourself is to put all your belongings in storage, get out of that NYC hidey-hole, and go join a volunteer service like the Peace Corps (or something like it if they still exist) or a Kibbutz in Israel - ANYTHING that will put you in a position of helping others everyday that have very hard lives. There is nothing like helping those less fortunate to help you grow and realize how petty one's own problems are. I think it would do you a world of good (even at 50) and give you a new sense of self and purpose in life. A game-changer for ol' Mitch.

It has become much more difficult to find full time "career" type jobs through the usual means. These days, the best way to get your foot in the door is to know someone who already works there and have them recommend you. But even that doesn't always work. I know a lot of people in my field, and a lot of people still working for my former employers, and all I've heard is, "Sorry, they just aren't hiring right now." Too many companies are saving money by promoting from within, or hiring recent college grads they don't have to pay as much. Some are only offering internships, which are either unpaid, or pay very little. These days you have to hustle to make ends meet. I do a lot of freelance work for websites hoping it will lead to something full time. I've had some long contracts but nothing close to the money and security you get with a full time job.

I got hooked up with an agency here in CT that works with the state to help people find jobs, they might have something similar where you are. Go to your state website and poke around in Social Services, they probably have a similar program. It's set up for people on food stamps and/or unemployment, (to get them off food stamps and/or unemployment) but any resident actively seeking employment should be eligible. Temp work is a great way to get your foot in the door, I'd keep doing that. You might also consider a job as a Caregiver. It's not easy work, but it's usually easy to get work, because the home care industry is always hiring. It aint the best, but it helps pay the bills. And if you haven't already, set up a LinkedIn account. I have never had much luck with LinkedIn, but it is a social media resource devoted to career building and networking.

DO NOT - cold call; people hate that.
DO NOT - go door to door; people hate that more.
DO - hook up with employment agencies and make them work for you - check in once a week to let them know you're still looking; keep 'em honest.
DO - take a job that's offered even if the money sucks, it could eventually open doors.

Remember - the only thing worse than having a job, is looking for a job.

Ah, no CAN. I'm not going to do what you suggested, and i'm 45, FYI, not 50.

Thanks, Irving.

I couldnt be a caregiver, because I have serious neck and back problems. I know that caregivers have to lift people., I couldnt physically do that.

I dont cold call, or go door to door. Someone suggested I go door to door, and I didnt take that person's advice.

I dont/cant cold call due to my stuttering issue. If I could have done that, I would still be working at Aflac, and have had clients.

I will take a job, even if the money isnt great.

You only have to lift them up if they fall down, which you try very hard to prevent. But there are a lot of different types of caregiver jobs you could investigate. You could be a companion - basically hang out with them, play cards, chat, watch tv; you could prepare meals once or twice a day; you could even look at retirement homes and see if they might need help in the cafeteria, or with laundry, etc. Like I said, those places are usually hiring, and most of the "dirty" work is done by nurses.

Have you considered selling plasma Mitch? At least until the job offers start rolling in, it would give you some extra cash. I see a lot of other old people outside of those places.

Finding a job isn't easy and I'm sorry that you're having a difficult time of it. I'd take the advice of others and do networking. Target places that you want to work or people that you want to meet and set up informational interviews. Get introduced by others when possible - "so and so suggested that I contact you..." will help open doors. Don't set up meetings by asking for a job . Defenses go up. People are often flattered when asked to share their industry insights however. Blind applications are often a waste. In fact I've had success networking my way into interviews at organizations where my blind resume submission was ignored by hr. Now this suggestion may be a bit manipulative - if you think your stuttering or other conditions are inhibiting your success, perhaps set up an informational interview with an hr person to open a discussion of how to present yourself to the organization. Maybe even target an HR Meetup event or the like. HR does not want to come across as discriminating against an applicant with a disability and they may actually end up advocating on your behalf.

I've changed jobs a few times in the last decade due to everything from layoffs to new opportunities. I've never had real difficulty in getting a new job, but I'm in the financial industry and know a lot of folks locally, so YMMV.

1. You need a killer resume. Be concise, clear, and brief while talking yourself up and not being over-the-top about it. (Simple, eh?) Get several friends to look at it. Get a friend who's good at that sort of thing to re-write it. Polish the shit out of that thing.

2. Post that resume on all of the decent job sites. Careerbuilder, Jobing, Monster, etc. This is a zero-effort proposition that at least puts your resume where people can see it. If you've done well, recruiters will call.

3. I'm sorry: If you can't cold-call, sales is right out the window. I had zero sales experience when I left college, yet my first job out of the gate was in sales. I found an "in" at a company where I knew someone who knew someone, got an interview, and "sold" myself to the guy who interviewed me. They hired me before the interview was over. I didn't like it, for various reasons, but I was really good at it until I left. Sales IS talking to people. If you aren't good at speaking off the cuff, it isn't for you. All kinds of people will offer you commissioned sales jobs, because it costs them very little and they need butts in their seats. Ignore that shit.

4. Go through the aforementioned job sites with a fine toothed comb. Know what you want to do in general (in your case, sounds like office work) and find a sector that has a need for people in your area. Look for entry level stuff, even if they're asking for a year or two of experience, and apply. You're looking to find someone who is desperate enough to hire someone with no/limited experience. That isn't going to be easy, it will require daily persistence.

5. PRACTICE THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOUR INTERVIEW SKILLS. This can't be said enough. Eventually someone will want to sit down and talk to you about a potential job. You need to NAIL IT. Those chances will be limited, and you don't want to squander them. Practice talking to people. Practice coming across as polished and professional. Do Google searches for common interview questions and practice answering them, out loud, until you can do it in your sleep. Not used to talking to people, or, worse, don't like talking to people face-to-face? Find people to practice with and work on it until you get over it to the greatest extent possible. Also, when you get an interview, RESEARCH THE HELL out of the company you're interviewing with. You should be able to talk about their business effortlessly, and ask pointed, intelligent questions when they ask if you have questions. (An interviewer usually will.)

Good luck, man. I was in a similar situation when I finally left school a decade ago. It isn't impossible to overcome, trust me. It just takes some hard work. :)

Thanks, pyr.

Thanks, asu.'

Actually,. I've applied to some sales jobs that say no cold calling. The things I've applied to stress face to face marketing, which I'm fine at,

My resume is posted on the jobs sites. In fact, i've gotten a few interview invitations from people who saw my resume posted.

What you said about interview questions. I understand that. I learned that one the hard way. Someone at one interview, asked me for a definition of something I didnt know/understand. I know it ended up costing me in that particular interview, but I learned my lesson. If that question comes up again, I'm ready this time.

Thanks again.

I know you're not quite there in age Mitch, but here is a great article with advice to older people with tips to get hired in old age. Do you have much of a network? If so, other people can help you land a job. Where I work, most job postings are never posted outside of the company as they commonly hire referrals of current employees. I know you have a complex relationship, but would your father help you find a job wherever he works? Just a thought.

Mitch, I didn`t realize you are approaching your 50th birthday. Perhaps you could shift gears and find employment working at a hardware store. Who knows, it could lead to a management position.:thumbsup:

1. Even if you've been here for a while, I really have no idea about what exactly you wanted to do. If you were able to survive through for the past years without real employment, I'd go with what C.A.B. advised you. Join a good voluntary group and do what you are passionate about. This will give you time to recuperate on a lot of frustrations you have undergone, while at the same time, you do something for others. You will at least regain self-esteem. This initiative will also open up contacts who can help you establish yourself once again.

2. You might choke on it, but it seems your father never really left you all these years, why not try if he might loan you a decent amount so you can put up your own store, say a hardware store - it's interesting actually! Then pay him later with some good interest... (Unclebill, you made me think a bit. I just don't know if I think good, lol. ;))

You might choke on it, but it seems your father never really left you all these years, why not try if he might loan you a decent amount so you can put up your own store, say a hardware store - it's interesting actually! Then pay him later with some good interest... (Unclebill, you made me think a bit. I just don't know if I think good, lol. ;))

hmmm....I`m not aware of the extent of Mitchell`s experience with power tools, lawn and garden products or paint, but he does seem to have a vast knowledge of ladders.:wiseowl:

First off, I';m not approaching my 50th bday. I just turned 45 two months ago.

Second, about my dad.

He's a CPA who works at home. He left his position at a small company, since I've moved to NY. He just has his clients, whatever.

I cant ask him to loan me money. He wont do it, nor would I expect him to,. Plus, as most know, he already pays for my apartment.

I wish he did know people to get me a job. Unfortunately, he doesn't, or says he doesn't.

I'm going to just continue looking.

Thanks. I know the advice was sincere.

It's just been a terrible six months. Hopefully, things will get better for me soon.

As far as the job sites go; I'm personally a fan of indeed.com. They pull from all over the internet, so it's a good place to do one-stop shopping. You can also post your resume on the site (I've had recruiters reach out to me there on a few occasions).

I also swear by LinkedIn, and I would recommend paying for premium membership if you can. That allows you to reach out to people you're not directly connected to. What I would recommend is look for individuals in companies or fields you're interested in and reach out to them. Don't simply tell them that you're looking for work; but ask them if they could give any advice as to how to proceed or market yourself; and if you make connections with people and then notice that there's open positions at their company that you feel you could be a fit for, mention to them that you're interested (you may also want to use the site to network with alumni of whatever college you graduated from). Even if you don't pay for premium membership, you can still join various groups that are centered around fields or professions you're interested in. Additionally, you can ask your primary connections to introduce you to connections of theirs whom you feel could be helpful.

Last, work on developing skills that will make you more marketable. You may want to try a lynda.com account and watch some courses on advanced Excel skills or something comparable. You could then market yourself freelance; you definitely have to be a certain personality type to be self-employed, but there's tons of small business owners or sole-proprietors out there who rely on contractors because they don't have deep benches. Alternately, look at technical certifications at your local community colleges. It's not that difficult to get certified to do something like tech support work and there's certainly a demand for it.

I agree completely with Strider. LinkedIn and networking are the key. Decide what it is you want to do. Then reach out to everyone you know or have known (even casually) and give them the elevator pitch about what you are looking for. Ask them if they know anyone they might speak to who are in a similar area or who can give you some advice/direction. The general rule is that you want to walk away with three new contacts for every networking conversation you have. In my experience, most jobs have been filled based on who you know, not what you know. That's why LinkedIn is such a valuable resource.

Generally speaking, people like to help others - it makes them feel important and good about themselves. Very seldom have I ever had any resistance from even a casual or distant acquaintance when asking for assistance in this type of endeavor.

When you're unemployed, there's an unfair strike against you in the job market to begin with. That said, my suggestion would be to find a niche and keep on expanding it in the temping world, and see if temping leads to a full-time job. That does sometimes happen. Good luck.

I've changed jobs a few times in the last decade due to everything from layoffs to new opportunities. I've never had real difficulty in getting a new job, but I'm in the financial industry and know a lot of folks locally, so YMMV.

1. You need a killer resume. Be concise, clear, and brief while talking yourself up and not being over-the-top about it. (Simple, eh?) Get several friends to look at it. Get a friend who's good at that sort of thing to re-write it. Polish the shit out of that thing.

2. Post that resume on all of the decent job sites. Careerbuilder, Jobing, Monster, etc. This is a zero-effort proposition that at least puts your resume where people can see it. If you've done well, recruiters will call.

3. I'm sorry: If you can't cold-call, sales is right out the window. I had zero sales experience when I left college, yet my first job out of the gate was in sales. I found an "in" at a company where I knew someone who knew someone, got an interview, and "sold" myself to the guy who interviewed me. They hired me before the interview was over. I didn't like it, for various reasons, but I was really good at it until I left. Sales IS talking to people. If you aren't good at speaking off the cuff, it isn't for you. All kinds of people will offer you commissioned sales jobs, because it costs them very little and they need butts in their seats. Ignore that shit.

4. Go through the aforementioned job sites with a fine toothed comb. Know what you want to do in general (in your case, sounds like office work) and find a sector that has a need for people in your area. Look for entry level stuff, even if they're asking for a year or two of experience, and apply. You're looking to find someone who is desperate enough to hire someone with no/limited experience. That isn't going to be easy, it will require daily persistence.

5. PRACTICE THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF YOUR INTERVIEW SKILLS. This can't be said enough. Eventually someone will want to sit down and talk to you about a potential job. You need to NAIL IT. Those chances will be limited, and you don't want to squander them. Practice talking to people. Practice coming across as polished and professional. Do Google searches for common interview questions and practice answering them, out loud, until you can do it in your sleep. Not used to talking to people, or, worse, don't like talking to people face-to-face? Find people to practice with and work on it until you get over it to the greatest extent possible. Also, when you get an interview, RESEARCH THE HELL out of the company you're interviewing with. You should be able to talk about their business effortlessly, and ask pointed, intelligent questions when they ask if you have questions. (An interviewer usually will.)

Good luck, man. I was in a similar situation when I finally left school a decade ago. It isn't impossible to overcome, trust me. It just takes some hard work. :)

Mitchell,
This was *EASILY* the Best Advice you received in your thread, and you choose to gloss over it with a standard reply of "thanks, I've done that, BUT ..."

Then list your reasons why you CAN'T WORK.

Everyday I see people with various handicaps, out there ... WORKING! Some are in an Electric Wheelchair for God's Sake!

Attitude is *EVERYTHING* when you approach potential employers, and yours needs work.
A LOT of Work.

If you truly WANT to WORK, then you need to start saying "YES, I CAN" instead of making excuses.

Potential Employers interviewing you pick up on your Verbal & Body language very quickly.

Good Luck, Mitchell.

Paola, considering that most of your posts are exactly like this one.. you look for threads that are months old, and then just chime in with another one of your uncivilized replies to me.

How the hell do you know what my "attitude is". .or. What "body language" I'm displaying in interviews, etc. . Were you sitting in the interview with me to see? What information do you have to make said statement? You're just a troll on a tickling forum where 75% of your posts are attacks on me.

This thread at the time,. wasnt made as an "excuse". I was trying to look for advice about methods of applying for jobs etc. You had to twist it, and attack me, by calling it an "excuse".

I know that the other advice I';ve received in this thread was sincere, because of the manner of which it was presented. I've considered asu a friend for a long time.

I take what you said with an absolute grain of salt, paola. If you truly wished me "luck", it wouldnt come with all the other potshots you posted in your post.

I'm also not going to discuss what my work situation is, or what I'm doing for work, business, etc, because as I posted in other threads, I dont discuss my personal life on the forum anymore. That should be evident from the fact that I've made no blog entries, and made no further threads about my personal life. .

Those who are truly my friends, know what;s going on in my life.

Last edited:
Paola, considering that most of your posts are exactly like this one.. you look for threads that are months old, and then just chime in with another one of your uncivilized replies to me.

How the hell do you know what my "attitude is". .or. What "body language" I'm displaying in interviews, etc. . Were you sitting in the interview with me to see? What information do you have to make said statement? You're just a troll on a tickling forum where 75% of your posts are attacks on me.

This thread at the time,. wasnt made as an "excuse". I was trying to look for advice about methods of applying for jobs etc. You had to twist it, and attack me, by calling it an "excuse".

I know that the other advice I';ve received in this thread was sincere, because of the manner of which it was presented. I've considered asu a friend for a long time.

I take what you said with an absolute grain of salt, paola. If you truly wished me "luck", it wouldnt come with all the other potshots you posted in your post.

I'm also not going to discuss what my work situation is, or what I'm doing for work, business, etc, because as I posted in other threads, I dont discuss my personal life on the forum anymore. That should be evident from the fact that I've made no blog entries, and made no further threads about my personal life. .

Those who are truly my friends, know what;s going on in my life.

Interesting how you classify my advice as "potshots" and then start with the name-calling because you simply don't like the advice or perceive it as "insincere."
If you're not prepared for a wide variety of responses, then don't ask for the. You are obviously too thin-skinned and sensitive for the honest advice.
You would rather be stroked and coddled.

I know a bad attitude when I see one: the endless excuses of why you can't do this & that are a prime example.
I seriously don't think you can handle a real job.
Employers expect performance and results, not excuses.

You *JUST DID* bring up your father in this thread, so just because you deny many things does not make it a fact.

And speaking of denial, you started this who business with me by bombarding me with a flurry of perverted questions about my feet and my experiences on a ladder... but you won't own up to that, either.

What's New

4/24/2024
If you need to report a post, click the 'report' button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back