• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

09/11/2001 ......... A look back........

venray

Verified
09/11/2001 A look back......

It's been a year. Where did it go to. It seems like yesterday because it has never left our minds since it happened. Back when it happened,
a friend of mine sent me this link which includes a picture of a mutual friend that we lost on that day.....a beautiful young woman who
was just ready to begin a new life with a new husband......

It takes a while to load the 9/11 tribute...it will bring back painful memory to many...but it is something I feel should be up at this time "lest we forget"

.........Ven

http://www.seaworthysys.com/wtc/

And also there is this...........

towerlights.jpg

Last edited:
You can say that again. It does feel like it just happened the other day. :sowrong:

Enya music...

Very appropriate background music... Q

The music gets to me too Q..CNN did a little tribute the other day and used the same song.......chilling...

Ven

I cant believe its been a year already..........I just hope it doesnt happen again. :(

Ahh, yes. A year has passed. We're seeing all sorts of specials on tv about the terrible events of last year. While I think it's good to remember and honor the victims (living and dead), I can't help wondering how many of these specials are meant for ratings more than true tributes. Whatever their intent, my purpose in watching will remain constant...to give thanks for the lives that were spared and to pray for those we lost and their families/friends.

As with the tragedy of Pearl Harbor, I'm sure time will bring more healing to all involved. But, I hope and pray that we never forget and never stop caring.

Ann

I dont know about the ratings game..I DO know that the video stores will be releasing a tape called 9/11 on Tuesday...all of the sale and rental proceeds will be donated to 2 relief funds. No profit will be made on this one.

Ray

Ramdon thoughts....sorry for the longwindedness y'all.

This evening as I sit in the quiet of my home, I think I'm like most Americans. My mind trails back to a year ago. How did I feel? What was I doing? What made life important? I try to imagine life before it changed. Without trying, my thoughts trickle slowly to the forefront and overwhelm me at first with grief, then with anger, then with hope. It's nothing I can control. The thoughts come as if they demand life beyond the dark corners of fear and pain that house my worst memories.

As I see the pictures and hear the recordings of September 11, 2001, my gut ties to a knot that can't be unbound without the spending of tears. I'm not sure what element exists in the recall that insist I give more than thought. All I can tell myself is that the horror and hatred behind the acts were beyond anything that my mind alone can grasp. My body aches and cries in response to the emotion. It purges itself of the evil.

Many times in life we are confronted with acts of nature or man that seem to demand a story be told. We've seen earthquakes take thousands of lives. We've watched hurricanes decimate whole cities. We've seen children taken from their homes. We've seen battleships sink. We've had cancers, heart attacks, suicides, and accidents take lives. There are millions of stories of heartbreak in the world and for each of these, there is a body that was left untouched. There is a society that is insulated from the terror. There is someone to tell our grief to and find comfort in their hope and words. The problem now is simply that these acts caused so much pain. These acts were were not of God. These were of man. They cause more pain than any other and demand more attention because it forces us to accept the worst in ourselves. Strong wind and broken land don't afford us the opportunity to see what terror we can inflict on one another. As I sit and remember, I wonder to whom can I say, "They flew airplanes full of people into buidings just to kill. They hate so much. They are so gullible and angry that they had to take the lives of men women and children who could not help their cause. They came in like cowards and stabbed us in the back while we slept. They ....they...they...the unseen faces of people that most of the dead never heard of and never will." Where can I scream without the echo being someone else voice calling back ,"YES I KNOW!" Who do I tell? Who comforts us this time? The world knows. The world greives. Somewhere in the reaches of the univers is there a soul weeping who isn't a part of us? Is there someone somewhere who could comfort us? Who do we tell?

There is one other issue that comes to mind as an American and not just a citizen of the world. It's the concept of Freedom. Simply put, I've come to understand that though Freedom may be appreciated in other parts of the world, it is the cornerstone on which this country was founded. Perfectly? Of course not. Without malice on our part? No. Appreciated? Not until someone tries to chain her. It's a concept in action that permeates the psyche of the American people. Though we may not agree on all things, though we may not feel our Freedom is as complete as some would hope, though we have alot of work ahead of us as a country....it is the belief in essential Freedom that makes our tears come. I believe that in this is where our pain lies. It's not in the numbers of dead. It's not in the dollars of damage. It's in the attack of our basic premise that in order to live fully, one must live freely. We may never realize it as a whole, but Americans have a built in sense of Freedom that makes us very sure that actions to ensure it take place without remorse.

I sit here in the quiet of the night. I think of my child resting nearby. I think of my family. I think of my friends, American friends and those who struggle to understand my conflicting sense of world and home. My thoughts are of the future.

I hope when I tell my son the full story of September 11, 2001 it is while reading a history book held by young hands in a peaceful world.

Well said, Jo. Very well said indeed.

What did this do to us? It killed some of ours, scared countless others, and started violence that is STILL in motion. There's still a desire for more, and reasoning behind it.

If we do nothing, we're screwed, and will be attacked again, as "cowards" by cultural perspective. If we do as that culture expects, we attack, and war ensues. Why would we war? 'Cause there are others stockpiling the kinds of weapons of mass destruction that we think justifies such.

All because one group of people, however small or large, decided another group was a problem worthy of killing without announcement. Some even argue that there WAS announcement and that we didn't get it. Doesn't matter, though, to me. It's still folks dyin'. No love in killin' folks 'cause they don't think like you do, when they threaten nothing of yours.

Heck, we PAY them to mess wit' us, every time we drive, with every petroleum product we use. That Vasolene? Petroleum. Guess where we buy that from? Sure, it MAY be from Mexico, the US, or Canada, but the largest supply of such is on Arab soil.

Wanna fight this in an American way? Stop usin' the stuff that's FUNDING them. I'm already considerin' an electric car for my next ride, and will be way more cautious about where my money goes. Y'can't shoot from home, and bitchin' is only good for ventin', but you CAN start somethin' to fight an OIL-funded cause - stop usin' the damned oil.

This whole last year, we've been PAYIN' 'em for what they did, 'cause we're funding those that funded terrorists...

...wait, I'm ranting. Enough o' dat.

Still cranky 'bout it, clearly,

dvnc

Well, Joby, Your post certainly brought a few tears to my eyes. Thank you (and DVNC) for putting the feelings we are all having into
perspective.

Ray

I remember the morning of September 11th, 2001 vividly...even now, I can remember all of the little details of the miniscule things that day that I usually ignore. The color of the sky, the exact amount of work I had left to do...all the little crap. Perhaps it's stray memories that hitchhiked along for the ride with the big ones, or just the fact that I don't take anything for granted anymore, who knows?

I remember when the first plane hit the Tower, our supervisor turned up the radio a bit because she thought she heard something about a plane crash in NYC. Even though this would have been a big catastrophe in its own right, we still kept working. Even the radio was announcing that it had been a "plane crash into the World Trade Center." It was still assumed to be an accident for a few minutes.

Then the second plane hit.

We all stopped and slowly started to gather around the radio to hear the news broadcast. As reports started coming in, you could feel the silence like a weight. Everything was happening so fast on the radio that many reports were getting a bit messed up. After the plane hit the Pentagon, an irresponsible report stated that "Washington D.C. is on fire." For the first two minutes or so, all we could think of was a nuclear atack. Even though it turned out to be "only" a plane, I remember those two minutes being the longest, most dread-filled of my life. For two minutes, I honestly faced the consequences of a nuclear attack for the first time...the first time it was ever real. Just like before death, I saw my life play out in front of my eyes.

Soon, the actual reports came in, and we breathed a little. Still, we were nervous. It's one thing to look back at it now and know what happened...but at that time, after three attacks and a report of a plane headed for Washington again, we didn't know when it was going to end. Are there more out there? Is this the first wave of something more insidious? Is my family in L.A. safe? Aren't we awfully close to an Air Base, a military target? Without knowing it was Al-Queda yet, the thought ran through...Is it the Russians, the Iraqis, even the Chinese?

My boss brought in a TV and we watched in horror as the Towers actually fell. Even after seing the damage, nobody thought they would actually collapse. As they did, people were crying, swearing or just sitting with a blank look, as if something from a movie were being played out in real life. I remember having a hard time getting my mind around the fact that this was real, and not special effects.

I remember feeling my safety bubble punctured forever. I remember anger, fear, vengeance, sorrow...and something I could not define, and still can't. I do, however, remember saying to myself "I finally know what went through my grandparent's heads during Pearl Harbor."

A year has passsed, and the sorrow is still there. So is the feeling of loss at the security I once took for granted. But we've grown. We've survived. We bicker amongst ourselves as to the neccesary outcome of this tragedy. We've heard everything from the "Kill 'em all" rabble-rousing to the "Let there be Peace" naivete...and every shade between. But one thing remains.

We survived.

Our ideals survived. Our dreams survived. Our country survived. Our spirit survived. They all became stronger. Something of this magnitude is not going to be resolved in a year, or two, or ten. Perhaps it never will. The world as we know it changed on September 11th, 2001...whether we wanted it to or not.

The real question is..."Where do we go from here?"

I guess that's up to us.

Well Said

We did get stronger, and we continue to get stronger. 9/11 was a day that I will never forget, and it still sends shivers down my spine when I think about it.

JoBelle said:
I hope when I tell my son the full story of September 11, 2001 it is while reading a history book held by young hands in a peaceful world.

Never thought of that. ;) :)

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back