• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

1,000 Books to Read Before You Die

James Patterson's Cross.... I just finished it and it was really good. i read it in like 2 days...

And just because I'm a romantic at heart... Gone with the Wind....

B. Traven - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
David Hartwell, editor - The Ascent of Wonder (sci-fi)

Well. Two of my favorite books have already been mentioned (Good Omens and On the Road) , so I'll have think about this...

Breakfast of Champions or Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (anything by this author should be on this list...)

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins (anything by this author is a great read)

Rule of the Bone by Russel Banks

The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson (ok so this is a culmination of his works of journalism and not a novel... So it goes.)

Candide by Voltaire

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Lou Gounzhoung - Possibly the greatet novel ever written. 120 chapters of epic storytelling and sheer brilliance.

There are many Id like to read but one that really effected me deeply that Id like to re read is "Up In The Old Hotel and Other Stories" by the late Joseph Mitchell. Mitchell joined the new yorker magazine in the 1930s and wrote wonderful stories about new york life he had a fondness for eccentrics. One story that sticks out is of a real life character called Joe Gould. Gould was Harvard graduate who had a promising writing career but succumbed to mental illness. he was well known in bohemian circles in New Yorks Greenwich Villiage as sort of a villiage idiot. Mitchell Wrote other stories too of New York such as the history of the famous McSorleys Bar on east 9th street.

Since everyone‘s life is different, and not all books apply equally, I’ve listed a few books that have taught me a few valuable lessons along the way.

Boy Wonder, My Life in Tights....Burt Ward

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
Beauty’s Punishment
Beauty’s Release …………….A.N. Roquelaure (a.k.a. Ann Rice)

The Chosen
The Promise ……………Chaim Potok

How to Cook Like a Jewish Mother ……….June Roth

Busy Woman’s Slow Cooker Cookbook ……Sharon & Gene McFall

The Count of Monte Cristo ……….Alexander Dumas

How to Out Negotiate Anyone (Even A Car Dealer) .... Leo Reilly

The House of God …….Samuel Shem

The Premar Experiments ….Robert H. Rimmer

The Tao of Pooh ……Benjamin Hoff

How to Win Friends & Influence People ….Dale Carnegie

Your Manners Are Showing …..Betty Betz

Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner ….. Scott Cunningham

The Hellbound Heart …..Clive Barker

Frankenstein ………Mary Shelly

Nobody Here Gets Out Alive …….Jerry Hopkins & Danny Sugerman

Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining
Beauty Fades, Dumb is Forever
……………………..Judy Sheindlin

Shogun - James Clavell

The Informers, Less Than Zero, American Psycho, Glamorama - Brett Easton Ellis

The Godfather, The Fortunate Pilgrim - Mario Puzo

Lisey's Story, Insomnia, IT, The Stand - Stephen King

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates - Tom Robbins

Okay these are the books that I think people should read before they die in no particular order and they are as follows:

Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
Carrie by Stephen King
Hitchicker's Guide to the Galaxy (haven't read it but I've heard it's good and I am not sure who wrote it)
Lord of the Flies (I don't remember who the author is but someone else mentioned who that is in this thread)
The Firm by John Grisham
The Chosen by Chaim Potok
The Shining by Stephen King
Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Macbeth by William Shakespeare
The Client by John Grisham
How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (I read it a while ago but I forget who the author is because it was a long time ago)
Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus by John Gray
Mars and Venus on a Date by John Gray
Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

I mentioned some plays in here because I think they are good so I hope that's not a big deal.

Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences by John Allen Paulos

Well, if we're talking about books that have the potential to make a big impact, or change your outlook on things, or shake you up, or just make you really, really think, then these books did that for me:

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki
Being Zen by Ezra Bayda
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins
The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris

Last edited:
Well, since my favorite book of all time has been mentioned already (And Then There Were None...Agatha Christie), as well as my second recommendation (The Shining by Stephen King), I'll have to pick a few others that entertained me deeply...

Winter Moon - Dean Koontz
Ghost Story - Peter Straub
Next - Nick Sharman

Yes, I'm a horror fanatic. And three books that rocked, but were completely RUINED in their movie adaptions...

I Know What You Did Last Summer - Lois Duncan (NOTHING to do with the movie)
Valentine - Tom Savage
Blood and Chocolate - Annette Curtis Klause (for younger adults)

And one more of my favorite books, though since it features heavy amounts of M/M and BDSM it would not appeal to a very wide audience...lol

The Lazarus Heart (Crow novel series...yes, THE Crow) - Poppy Z. Brite

Hey Mimi,

Just curious is you have read Floating Dragon by Peter Straub....or The Talisman/Black House (King/Straub collaborations)...

Notes From Underground - Dostoyevsky
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Lord of the Rings

The Little Prince

Where The Wild Things Are

Perks of Being a Walflower

Great Books

Laurell K. Hamilton:
The Anita Blake Series especially the early books were great. They re-ignited my love of reading after getting burned out by college. The first book is "Guilty Pleasures". It is a long series but fun.

The Merry Gentry Series is also kind of nice, especially the earlier books. The first book is "A kiss of shadows". After resisting for ages at one of my friends recommendations, I couldn't put these books down.

Kim Harrison:
The Hollows series. The first book is "Dead Witch Walking". I am anxiously awaiting the next book in this series due in a week WOOHOO.

I would say read the books because they are fun experiences that ignite your emotions, imagination, and passions.

And by the way, anyone who teaches me how to use magic or turns me into a vampire gets a gold star.

What's New

5/20/2024
Visit the TMF Welcome forum and take a moment to say hello to us all!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back