• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

2 Computer related questions

rajee

Level of Cherry Feather
First, when installing more ram do you need to stick with the same type and brand as the type and brand you already have installed or just stick to the same type eg DDR Ram vs SDRam?

Second question, Is the cause of Windows XP PCs self-rebooting a hardware problem ( over-heating for an example) or is it a software problem where too many programs/applications are running that are taking up too much ram/memory and the computer ends up rebooting to correct a program or system error? Would installing more Ram/memory help this problem? :question::umm::confused:

to RAM, type yes, brand maybe ... I'm not sure. But I definitely would since there are memory bars that don't cooperate with the chipset or whatever stupid stuff can happen. You better ask the guys where you plan to buy the new RAM.

The rebooting can be caused by both. First of all I'd look for hardware reasons. But software problems also could cause this. This depends on your system, what is running there and so on. Even someone sitting at you computer couldn't answer this at once, neither can someone from "out there" like this forum :)
Check you Task Manager for the memory consumption and processor load.

But the best would be to ask someone who can examine your system.
Any hints here are nothing more but guesses that won't help you pretty much.

rajee said:
First, when installing more ram do you need to stick with the same type and brand as the type and brand you already have installed or just stick to the same type eg DDR Ram vs SDRam?

Second question, Is the cause of Windows XP PCs self-rebooting a hardware problem ( over-heating for an example) or is it a software problem where too many programs/applications are running that are taking up too much ram/memory and the computer ends up rebooting to correct a program or system error? Would installing more Ram/memory help this problem? :question::umm::confused:

Reboots aren't really likely to be caused by too many applications. I'd suspect hardware, or malware. (viruses, etc) Adding RAM is not going to fix the reboots. (It might be worth doing for other reasons, but not that one.)

i can say from experience that XP won't reboot if your cmputer is on too long, might be the same if programs take up too much RAM. a friend once left my computer on for almost 2 weeks straight, and there wasn't even enough ram left to shut it down, it was horrible. windows xp does restart, or just freeze if there is a critical error. i know, because the same thing happened to me last night.

i made the mistake of buying a 1 gig chip of ram, to add to my already 1 gig of ram for a cool 2 gigs, but i accidently bought the wrong type, and couldn't return it, so that was an awful investment.

Good to know Norm. I usually turn off moderate to high memory applications in the morning and afternoon so I have enough RAM/memory to do other stuff. Luckily, I haven't had your problem yet.

Was it a RAM type mistake, buying SDRAM when you needed DDRRAM or viceversa? :)

I agree with Tickledgirl -- malware is a frequent cause of unexpected reboots. I recommend updating your antivirus program and doing a full system scan and also getting a second opinion from one of the online scan services such as highly rated Kaspersky (free at http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner).

about the ram, the type needs to be the same as the ram originaly in the pc, also u need to know the speed that the ram operates at (ex: 512mb of ram @2700) 2700 is the speed. if the speed is different the ram will not work. as for the overheating and rebooting issue that is caused by a power source problem! it is causing a short into your power source causing the reboots! im a pc technician by the way! and so is my bf! let me know if you need anymore info!

good luck! :D

There are other programs that you can use to fix the problem Rajee...you can use programs like Ad-Aware and CCleaner, Ad-Aware gets rid of Adware and Spyware...and CCleaner, gets rid of other things like Temp Files that you never knew existed on your HDD as well as other things....and as the others have said..the short is a power source issue, and the RAM needs to be the same..so if you have DDR RAM, then you need DDR RAM, and the rebooting, could also be a power issue unless you have Automatic Updates enabled, then sometimes it will reboot and you will never know it....b/c I have at most left my computer on for months on end b/c I run an internet radio station, and that does take up a bit of RAM and space...btw I just had a 512 MB RAM installed...so it works perfectly....but if you use Ad-Aware Free, and CCleaner...you shouldn't have too many more problems with your computer...

Wayne

PS. Microsoft's AntiSpyware sometimes works good too

ayla said:
about the ram, the type needs to be the same as the ram originaly in the pc, also u need to know the speed that the ram operates at (ex: 512mb of ram @2700) 2700 is the speed. if the speed is different the ram will not work. as for the overheating and rebooting issue that is caused by a power source problem! it is causing a short into your power source causing the reboots! im a pc technician by the way! and so is my bf! let me know if you need anymore info!

good luck! :D

yeah listen to here, she's an expert.

a few heating problem solutions:

if your computer has wired jumbled up everywhere, get some electrical tape or plastic ties and ties them together, out of the way, as not to restrict airflow.

always have your fans on high speed, some processor fans have settings.

another option is use your computer with the side open, having a fan blow in there will help, though it's more work and danger with foreign debris getting in there, and accumulation of dust is bad, too since it can burn out sections of your motherboard and other cards.

i've heard of a water cooling system, but i'll bet that's pretty expensive.

i, myself, have spent the money for special RAM heat sinks, and they really help. also, they sell special fans that fit in un-used hardrive and disk drive spaces, and open slots in the back of your computer, which help tremendously.

Last edited:
I noticed with my pc that a slight interruption in electric power caused it to reboot. So that migh also be a cause.

BigNorm said:
yeah listen to here, she's an expert.

a few heating problem solutions:

if your computer has wired jumbled up everywhere, get some electrical tape or plastic ties and ties them together, out of the way, as not to restrict airflow.

always have your fans on high speed, some processor fans have settings.

another option is use your computer with the side open, having a fan blow in there will help, though it's more work and danger with foreign debris getting in there, and accumulation of dust is bad, too since it can burn out sections of your motherboard and other cards.

i've heard of a water cooling system, but i'll bet that's pretty expensive.

i, myself, have spent the money for special RAM heat sinks, and they really help. also, they sell special fans that fit in un-used hardrive and disk drive spaces, and open slots in the back of your computer, which help tremendously.

good call norm! also another thing you can do is if you check inside the pc itself where the power source is you would want to trace the wires back to the motherboard and make sure that they arent open or damaged. then check to see if they are connected all the way even. if this is so and it is still rebooting, then you may want to consider getting a new power supply! they arent expensive! tell me what type of pc do you have?

I have an AMD Athlon (64 processor) 3200. :D

rajee said:
I have an AMD Athlon (64 processor) 3200. :D

well i am not too familiar with those, however if i believe so my bf has that in the laptop version! however i think you shold troubleshoot the power supply first, then if its still bad, its a software issue after that! :D

What's New

5/6/2024
Check out Clips4Sale for the webs largest one-stop fetish clip store!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back