• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • If you would like to get your account Verified, read this thread
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

A Classic Bushism

kind of like Quayle not being able to spell potato.

Or stating that he wished he had studied Latin so he could converse with the people of Latin America better...Quayle actually said that.

LOL!!! From a friend in London, I know that US diplomats were told to learn Spanish at one of the best language training institutes in London, shortly before their transfer to South America. It turned out they were sent to Brazil, without having learnt a word in Brazilian/Portuguese! :D If I recall the time right, it happened during the Jimmy Carter era, but I'm sure that transfer of diplomatic staff isn't the President's task...

Hal

Now there is a classic political faux pas. LOL

Carter also told a group in Poland that we desired peace.The problem that "arose" was that the term used for desire was the Polish word for lust.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61118-2002Jun4.html

Seems to be at least some evidence that he did say it. Having seen the stuff that does come out of the Chimposter's mouth, I'd like to see something more definite than "Nah, it's not true."

(But by the way, the one about Quayle wanting to learn Latin so he could communicate in Latin America isn't true. It was a joke told by a congresswoman -- but it sounded enough like something Quayle would say that many people still believe it's actually true.)

Shem..

Read your post, then apply it to Bush. He's a wonderful subject of that type of joke. He never said it.

Tron

Nuetron- What makes you so sure that he never said it? The story has been covered in the world press and has been referred to by columnists here in the U.S. It first appeared in a German news magazine called Der Spiegal. Just because the mainstream press in America won't report something doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

I'm not sure why it would be a joke. If he said it, it's insensitive. And if he didn't, it sounds more slanderous than humorous. But, I agree that without corroboration, the man deserves the benefit of the doubt, though I didn't vote for him.

Rook.

As one of the few PERFECT people in the world...one who never makes mistakes...
shrug.gif
that's life. Even if he DID say it, the man is human. Big deal! Yes, it's a stupid statement and makes him sound ignorant. But, we've all been there at some time or other.

Ann

TicklingDuo said:
Yes, it's a stupid statement and makes him sound ignorant. But, we've all been there at some time or other.

Ann

Unfortunately, I know a few people who wouldn't admit to that universally held principle that we arent all perfect.

Joby, who is glad she isn't President just for sake of some of my rather...ummm..."inspired" moments...hehehehe:eek:

I think some of you are taking this far too seriously. There have been many laughs on this board at Bill Clintons expense. That's fine with me, I never much liked the guy anyway. But I see a different standard being applied here to Bush. It amazes me how hyper-sensitive people are when Bush's shortcomings are mentioned even in jest.

Lighten Up,
Headtripper 25

i agree with headtripper on this one...yes i'm all for being behind the president (whomever he or she maybe at that point in time) but i don't think its right to have one standard for one guy(girl) and one for another...neither of these men is perfect or a paragon of virtue...if bush said it then yah he is an idiot...had clinton said it then yah i'd say the same about him...(even thought i voted for him)

Two observations

First,the bit about Quayle I mentioned was reported in the mainstream press,even though it apparently was a joke.Now,the story about Bush's statement reported in the press,and this is being refuted.There is no question that the US press has been,and still is,a leftist leaning group that is still pissed that their boy Ozone Al lost.

As for the Bush hypersensitivity,it might be because we are in the middle of a war,Bush is widely popular,and more evidence is appearing that past administrations' failures are largely to blame for the mess Bush has in his lap.

I'm no Republican,but to my mind Bush is,by far,the better of the two choices.

the potatoe business

in case anyone wants, or cares about the truth;
on the spelling bee card that they gave to quayle,
the word was spelled with the "e". if you look up
the word potatoe in a "good" dictionary, it has an "e".
to me the best, or worse is when ozone al was at thomas jefferson's
house, walked over to a bust of jefferson (which was labled)
and asked "who's this guy"
now that's freaking dumb!
steve

Don't blame me either way...

...I voted for Ross Perot...

...Twice. :sowrong:

The story can't be substantiated. It's been attributed to the New York Times as well but no source I checked could produce the original.

But it does matter if he said it. The leader of the free world isn't supposed to be a tourist on vacation when he visits other countries, he's supposed to know something about them. If I thought just any fool should have that job, why, I'd apply for it myself.

EQ
Not proud to be an American, as I did nothing special to become one. Just damn glad and grateful.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. -Theodore Roosevelt

I agree with Evilqueen (regardless of whether he said it or not.), that he should have some foreknowledge about the culture or group of people he is to address, but that lack of knowledge cannot necessarily be blamed on him. I'm willing to bet that (assuming this did happen.) he has a team of researchers and diplomacy experts who coach him on the culture's characteristics and what he should and shouldn't say. In a scenario like this, that team would be to blame, not the Commander in Chief. There aren't enough hours in the day for the man to learn everything there is to know about a culture. He's got enough on his plate. That's why he's got as many assistants as he does. Know the chain of command, because when things go awry, the sh*t always rolls down-hill. Heck, maybe he did put a large amount of time into studying this culture. I mean, ya don't want to walk blindfolded into a mine-field, but at the same time, mines are still there, and ya can still get blown-up. Anyone can make a mistake, but when you're under the microscope, people begin to change their image of you. The man just happens to be under one of the world's largest microscopes.

I agree with a lot of what you say as well, Flatfoot. Concerning this example though, what's even more interesting to me than its veracity is why people find it believable. It illustrates the way a lot of people regard George W. Bush - as a clumsy, inarticulate speaker who posesses something less than a steel-trap mind.

There are some facts so urgent and important that they are part of the briefing the President gets on the plane. The racial make-up of a country is a pretty basic fact, not at all arcane, and should be part of what the leader of a country should already know about any other country he deals with - certainly a country the size of Brazil. But even were this not the case, "Do you have black people here?" is not the most tactful way to phrase a question. Hence it seems like something Bush could say.

Me 'n George are within ten years of each other in age, making us both Boomers. I look at him and wonder if he typifies my generation so well that he's the President we deserve. Some generations produced presidents who were generals and statesmen. My generation has produced a president who was a businessman, and a failed one at that. I just gotta wonder...

BTW, Republicans will never get over the fact that Clinton won two terms on the strength of charisma, just like Democrats will never get over the fact that Reagan did the same thing. You can't be a two-termer without it. It remains to be seen if Dubya has enough of it to make it past '04.

EQ
:D Relieved to be an American ;)

"good" dictionary

As I had been a local contestant in the spelling bee,this piqued my interest.Which is a "good" dictionary that includes the "e" in potato,as I have never seen it?Just to be certain,I also visited a book store,examined 7 different publishers and versions,and also contacted the Spelling bee staff,who all assure me that there is no "e".
This is not meant as a start to a battle that may have no end,but as a matter of general curiosity and accurate posting.

What's New

6/4/2024
Check out the TMF Gathering Forums. See who is meeting where and when!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back