• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Adversity

desdemona

Verified
Several recent threads in GenDis (and the bullying one in P&R) have got me thinking. What challenges have you faced and how did you overcome them?

I know women who were told to abandon the idea of becoming a veterinarian because it was a man's field (btw, 75% of all applicants to vet school are now women). And when things started shifting, the old boy's club lamented the downfall of the profession because "women will never want to be business owners." For myself, I was told to abandon the idea of buying the practice where I had worked for 10 years because it was "logistically difficult" - and that I should look for something easier.

I stuck to my goals of going to vet school - even if it meant paying out of state tuition. Even after my parents announced they were divorcing after 25 years of marriage. And my mother was diagnosed with MS. I passed my national boards, but failed the state jurisprudence exam that I failed to study for (I planned to go into the Peace Corps - the only goal I never achieved due to financial obligations).

I've been the starving college student with scary government student loans (even with full tuition for undergrad) and using credit cards to buy cans of soup and PBJ for food. I was taunted and teased in high school for any number of reasons (acne, being a brainy nerd, uncool, etc.).

The one thing that kept me going and helped me stand up to these challenges was my belief in myself. I chose not to give up. I knew I had the mental and physical capacity to accomplish my goals; it was only a matter of due diligence. So if someone keeps downing you and doubting you, walk away. If you have a supportive environment (friends, family, forum), embrace it. When things get to be dark, you have a true asset that can help you pick yourself up and try again. If not, find a way to focus your energies (yoga, meditation, spirituality) so you can devote yourself to positive thinking and tune out the negativity.

How about others? Who else has overcome life's little (and not so little) challenges?

I have to say the hardest thing I've faced is having to handle putting my homeless father through rehab after he had been completely MIA from my life for 16 years, raising my younger sisters, dealing with my bipolar abusive mother, trying to maintain an honor roll GPA at UIC all while working up to 3 jobs at a time, navigating the wonderful world of not-quite-adolescent / not-quite-adult feelings, and trying not to let the shitty circumstances turn me into a cold-hearted, bitter monster. I was about 19 at the time, confused as hell, and scared shitless. It was the most mentally and emotionally strenuous time for me and there were definitely instances I felt I couldn't take it anymore, but somehow, someway, even though I had to drop out of college in order to take care of my family, alls well that ends well. Dad's been sober 7 years now and a big part of mine and my sisters' lives. My mom is in the middle of nowhere where she can't bother anybody and my little sisters couldn't make me prouder. The whole thing taught me a lot about what I could handle and what's important in life.

I have given quite a bit of thought to this as of late. I have had an eventful few years passed but out of all of it, addiction, loss, widowhood, grief, financial and health burdens, I think the greatest adversity I have faced is maintaining in spite of myself. As I type this, I unabashedly admit I'm crawling out of yet another period of isolationism. That's what I do. When I can no longer put up the tough facade, laugh it off, I hide. The funny thing about isolationism is that it's miserably cyclic. I leave home as little as possible, stop answering my phone, or emails, texts, any form of communication with others. After while of this I believe that my absence has upset those around me, so I continue to avoid others. Before I know it I'm secluded in my home, afraid to raise the blinds like some sort of deranged tweaker. The hardship in this comes in maintaining a balance between this and the responsibilities I must take on. I still have to get up each morning and go to work, buy groceries, go to Squid's school functions and remain involved in her activities, no matter how afraid I am of them.
I know nothing is going to magically cure me. I will still isolate from time to time, but at least now I know without a doubt I can function.

What's New

5/10/2024
Our Welcome forum has a place for you to introduce yourself. Say hello!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back