• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Americans Say Bush Should Wait

ShiningIce

3rd Level Green Feather
A solid majority of Americans believe President Bush should give U.N. weapons inspectors time to act and should wait for support from allies before invading Iraq, a new poll says.

The CBS-New York Times poll out Sunday also found a large and growing number of people want Bush to get congressional approval before going to war, with many saying Congress has not asked enough questions about Bush's policy toward Iraq.

The poll comes as Bush prepares to address questions about potential war in a prime time speech Monday evening. Congress is preparing to vote on authorizing force in Iraq later this week, and Bush hopes to persuade Americans — as well as skeptical world leaders — that now is the time to confront Saddam Husse

The poll suggests Americans want him to move slowly.

By a 2-to-1 margin, they said they would prefer to see U.N. weapons inspectors have more time to do their work before military action is taken.

A majority, 56 percent, said that one country should not be able to attack another country unless it is attacked first. When people were asked the same question specifically about the United States, they were evenly split.

Two-thirds said they approve of military action to remove Saddam Hussein as leader of Iraq, but a large majority — 70 percent — want the Bush administration to get approval from Congress. Sixty-five percent think it would be better to wait for allies before acting against Iraq.

And 51 percent think that Congress is not asking enough questions about Iraq policy, while one in five said it is asking too many. Last month, 44 percent said Congress was not asking enough questions.

The poll of 668 adults was taken Thursday through Saturday and has an error margin of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Among the poll's other findings:

_Despite concerns about the possible war, seven in 10 would prefer to hear political candidates talk about the economy over war with Iraq.

_More than one-third think the economy will get worse if the United States attacks Iraq, and half think military action against Iraq would increase the risk of terrorist attacks.

_Six in 10 said a war with Iraq is likely to lead to a wider war involving other countries in the Middle East.

_More than half, 57 percent, said they would base their vote for a candidate on economic policy before foreign policy.

_Four in 10, 41 percent, said they approve of President Bush's handling of the economy, while 46 percent disapproved. His overall job approval was at 63 percent.

_More than half said they consider the economy fairly bad, 42 percent, or very bad, 14 percent. Almost two-thirds said Bush should be spending more time on the economy, while a third said he's spending as much time as he can.

Yep.

Well, I say we kill him now. What this guy has done is the past is proof enough. I wish the American people would quit acting so cowardly. For the first time in a long, long time, I am actually bitter towards the people of America....it makes me sick.

I just wanted to add another thing that has me really steamed. Germany. This has got to be the most ungrateful country ever. We basically rebuilt that damn country after Nazi Germany. And now they don't want to help us? They don't have the time to go on "Adventures"?? Ok then....boy...it's times like these that I wish I were president...lets just see how ungrateful and stubborn they are when the whole country is on fire. After all, If your not with us, your against us, and thats the bottom line.

so you say bomb Germany? Why the hell not, they don't agree with you! Bomb them all, especially those peace-loving hippies who don't want their children to fight someone elses war! Why should they get to choose what their country gets involved in? I won't rest until I see Germany in flames... :sowrong:

It's good to see that even a military enlistee like ShiningIce thinks Bush should wait. I'm not opposed to war, provided it's approved by Congress and has the support of at least our allies, if not most of the international community. Although the charge that Bush is pressing the war issue to steer attention away from the bad economy might seem far-fetched to some, I think it's true, especially since the election is coming up in less than a month. I hope we weigh all our options first before going to war. I hate Saddam as much as the next guy, but let's not do anything that will further hurt our image abroad.

amk714 said:
Although the charge that Bush is pressing the war issue to steer attention away from the bad economy might seem far-fetched to some, I think it's true, especially since the election is coming up in less than a month.

what about that old guy with the beard who kept sending us home made videos? What's his name again? hmmmm... appears to have slipped my mind... oh well, at least we know where Suddenly Satan is, so we can blow his scapegoat ass into hell and back.

Hmm I think bombing Germany wouldnt go over too well with all our nation's citzens who have relatives there............

I would say it wouldn't hurt to let the UN inspectors try to do their jobs again and maybe see if we could gather more evidence. Certainly I think approval of congress would be a very good thing especially if there isn't that much world support. Once inspections fail again and Iraq renegs on its agreements we will have a much better case to go in there and take out this A**hole.

God, I hope nobody thought I was being serious when I posted about Germany... I thought Krokus's 'bomb them coz they don't agree' viewpoint was incredibly insensitive to the german members and also to anyone else on here who doesn't think war is something cool to watch on tv at night.

I agree with Kurch, once the inspectors do find something, the US will have more supporters instead of being without major backers like China, Russia and France. If Bush really wants to flex his shiny army, at least have a reason and some proof for a change.

Heh.

I guess no one here is quick to catch the sarcasm. I didn't mean to literally bomb Germany. I just meant that I have no respect WHATSOEVER for that country anymore. And by the way Biggles, this is EVERYONES war. Not just America. It's the worlds war...whether you like it or not.

Just to point out ... last year German chancellor Schroeder faced down a no-confidence vote that could have lost him his position and cost his party control of the government, in order to be able to send troops to support the war in Afghanistan. (See http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/world/1135073 , for instance.) But hey, he hasn't done anything for us lately, so screw him.

I have a problem with polls. 668 people were polled by two left wing organizations, and the results are that the American people think this way. I don't buy it. What if 668 Rush Limbaugh listeners were asked the exact same questions? That poll would be completely different.

I think it's safe to say we would all like to see the weapons inspectors go in and do their job. At some point, tho, we have to realize that ain't gonna happen. How long do we wait? How serious does the next attack have to be for us to say we've had enough? Who cares if the rest of the international community isn't with us? They didn't have planes flown into their office towers, their embassies or ships blown up. They aren't being threatened by the next attack unless it's our interests on their soil. Why would we even think about getting their approval to defend ourselves?

As for the economy, keep in mind the senate hasn't passed a budget for this year, either. Daschle has bottled up or turned down everything Bush has proposed so far, including tax cuts. And I don't want to hear the tax cuts for the rich mantra. My wife and I together make less than 40k a year, and we got it. Let's face it, the democrats have alot to gain with a sluggish economy going into an election, and they're doing what they can to make that happen.

But....

From the same article:

Nevertheless, 67 per cent approved of the use of force to oust Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, versus 27 per cent who opposed it.

I've found that 68% of polls are incorrectly administered about 44% of the time, resulting in the opinions of the poll coming out the way the guy who paid for it to be done wants it to about 100% of the time.

My 2%... Q

evilqueen said:

I bet China would find that statement amusing.

Im sure many other a country were laughing at the prospect of Hitler being a threat to the whole world back then...but look what happened? IMO: this is the same situation. What good is an economy if the whole country is blown to hell? And about the poll....that just proves my point of how this country is full of cowards. Makes me sick.

Last edited:
What if 668 Rush Limbaugh listeners were asked the exact same questions? That poll would be completely different.

Limbaugh is an IDIOT and so are his fans, any poll taken by him should be burned on principal. :rolleyes:

Limbaugh is an IDIOT and so are his fans
I know we allow opinions on the forum, but calling people "idiots" isn't conducive to debate and is an unproductive way to state an opinion.

And about the poll....that just proves my point of how thi country is full of cowards. Makes me sick.
Then I take it you're enlisting?

Heh.

Just might...Im not a hypocrite...it's not like anything has been happening for me lately anyway. If I do, you will be the first person to know, I assure you. I'll make an example.

-BTW, I don't appreciate being provoked.

Krokus said:
Im sure many other a country were laughing at the prospect of Hitler being a threat to the whole world back then...but look what happened?

I take it you're familiar with Godwin's Law? Obviously not! ;)

Sigh...

Godwin's Law prov.

[Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

Q

Since I'm a math major, Q, I must say that yours is one of the best proofs I've ever seen--and I've seen a lot of them! I'll submit it to the math department at my university for publication. :D

evilqueen said:

I don't like being called a coward. Call it a draw.

Well, the thing is, I didn't directly call you a coward. I said this country is full of cowards....I didn't say everyone in the country is a coward. Can't perceive the obvious?

Red Will Lead Us To Glory

I'd say Red is pretty covered in glory at the moment. All those civilian deaths sure got them covered in something... If Dubya had a conscience and you listened carefully enough outside the White House bathrooms, you'd hear a texan drawl over the sound of running water screaming "out damn spot, out!"

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back