• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Anti-American Politics in Germany

Strelnikov

4th Level Red Feather
This article appeared in the Washington Post on October 30, 2002. Comments, anyone?

Strelnikov

THE “MADE IN BERLIN” GENERATION
Germany's rift with the United States goes deeper that American unilateralism and disagreement over Iraq policy.

By Henry A. Kissinger

GERMAN-American relations have been thrown into crisis by the way Germany's election campaign was conducted by its governing party. Other allies have had reservations about American policy on Iraq. None has chosen the road of confrontation.

The cause for this sudden deterioration is complex. Some ascribe the sudden and quite unexpected shift of German policy to electoral opportunism. But Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder's motives are not the issue.

For the anti-American campaign clearly appealed to a constituency large enough to transform Schroeder's expected defeat into victory. Hence a kind of anti-Americanism may have become a permanent feature of German politics. This is especially painful for those of us who actively nurtured what we consider one of the proudest achievements of American postwar foreign policy: the return of Germany to the community of nations as an equal, respected and indispensable member.

It was a journey marked by the Berlin airlift; the Marshall Plan; support for Germany's membership in Nato and the European Community; close co-operation in two further Berlin crises; American support for the German reconciliation with the East ; American leadership in negotiating a final agreement on access to Berlin; and, finally, American unconditional support for German unification despite the hesitations of other allies.

Germany's contribution was the courageous decision to postpone unification, when Stalin offered it in return for Germany's rejection of Nato, and its decision instead to tie its future to European unity and Atlantic partnership. This forging of a common destiny did not prevent occasional disagreements regarding specific policies.

But up to now, they were based on differing interpretations of, and responses to, unchallenged common interests. This explains the shock when suddenly an election issue was made of American policy on Iraq. German participation in a military conflict with Iraq was rejected and the use of German bases proscribed, even if backed by a UN vote and whatever the other members of the European Union or NATO might decide.

This dramatic refusal in the name of a so-called "German way" was proclaimed despite the fact no request for a German military contribution had been made or was likely to be made. The policy was accompanied by sharp criticism of a speech by Vice President Dick Cheney and of the alleged unilateral tactics of President George W Bush.

In this atmosphere, the word "American" occasionally turned into an epithet, even when applied to American domestic economic policies. The comparison of Bush's domestic methods to those of Hitler by a cabinet minister was an aberration, but it grew out of a mood that had been deliberately fostered. The tone-deafness vis-a-vis American sensitivities continued after the election when the newly designated state secretary in the German Foreign Ministry, Klaus Scharioth, described the new American strategic doctrine released by the White House as reminiscent of the Brezhnev Doctrine.

The impact of this campaign on the German electorate is shown by the fact that Schroeder's opposition, the historically pro-American CDU, did not dare to refute the attack in substance. Though it warned against basing a campaign on offending Germany's most powerful ally, it went reluctantly along with the refusal of military co-operation and of the use of Nato military bases in Germany. This suggests that the causes of the existing rift go deeper than electoral opportunism, American unilateralism and disagreement over Iraq policy. The end of the Cold War has removed the fear of a common danger. For four decades, German governments treated the American alliance as the key to German security and to the political legitimacy of the new Germany. Neither condition obtains to a similar extent today. The generation that created the German-American relationship is passing from the scene. On the US side, its members came from the Eastern Establishment, leavened by some emigres.

Both groups had formed personal relationships that enabled them to understand the spiritual crisis through which Germany moved, and they believed in the great positive potential of the German people. The postwar German generation saw its primary goal in establishing a reputation for reliability and constancy within Europe and the Atlantic Alliance.

The new leadership groups that have emerged on both sides of the Atlantic have not shared in the experience of the war and of postwar reconstruction. They are either not preoccupied with foreign dangers or, to the extent that they are, believe themselves capable of dealing with them unilaterally. The Atlantic Alliance, once the centrepiece of policymaking, now concentrates on expanding its membership - even de facto including the erstwhile adversary - and thus on expanding its reach without redefining its purpose. In the United States, the political centre of gravity has shifted to the centre of the country, a region whose leaders have fewer personal connections with Europe and less experience with its challenges than their predecessors, who created the postwar structure.

And they are in power in a United States that enjoys unquestionable military supremacy and thus has modified its approach to alliances. As the victim of 9/11 and as the dominant military power, America feels itself responsible for global security. But in Europe, the focus is on domestic politics rather than on international affairs.

This emphasis on bureaucratic, constitutional and legalistic arrangements contrasts with a United States that emphasises its exceptional character and the applicability of its institutions to the rest of the world. Germany is challenged by these realities in an especially acute fashion. It achieved national unity later than any European country and acquired its present dimensions and structure only a little more than 10 years ago. It therefore has less of a tradition of global foreign policy than the other major countries of western Europe.

Its domestic problems are more severe. It is governed by a coalition whose leaders had their formative experience in the protest against American policy on Vietnam, even participating in some of its more violent phases. In the early postwar period, Germany's governing party, the SPD, advocated unity over Nato and overthrew one of its chancellors, Helmut Schmidt, because he was willing to place Nato missiles on German soil. And its coalition partner, the Greens, opposed all military ties to the West until it entered office.

To be sure, far-sighted leadership in both coalition parties enabled them to govern with programs sustaining Atlantic ties, if not with passion at least on the basis of realistic assessment. But it did leave a residue on the left wing of each party, which could be easily mobilised by appeals to traditional anti -Americanism - especially when the government made these criticisms.

This situation is compounded by the special psychological condition of the eastern part of Germany. East Germany was liberated as much by Western pressure as the actions of its own internal resistance. And its economic reconstruction has taken place under West German aegis.

East Germany went from Nazism to communism without any experience of democracy. Its population tends to view itself as victims of history and, to some extent, of Western globalism. It is not familiar with Western strategic or geopolitical views and seeks its security in an abstract moralism veering toward pacifism, which enables it to feel ethically superior to its powerful ally.

Thus, at the end of the German election campaign, the margin of victory may well have been supplied by a combination of pacifism, left and right nationalism, and an evocation of a specifically German way reminiscent of Wilhelmine Germany.
For if Germany can affront the United States, reject UN views and act without consultations with the other nations of Europe in the name of a "German way" - "made in Berlin", in the Chancellor's words - self-righteous isolation beckons for Germany and a return to pre-First World War conditions for Europe.

Foreign policy expert Karsten Voigt, in charge of American relations in Germany's foreign office, summed up this new attitude: "We do what makes sense to us; we do nothing with whose substance we disagree." But foreign policy rarely permits such absolute distinctions. No country should be asked to act against its interests or its notions of common sense. But neither should it conduct a foreign policy that makes no allowance for the views of other societies - and especially of close allies - particularly when it is located in the centre of the Continent.

Thus the new self-proclaimed German way is a challenge not only to the US but to Europe as well. It implies an end to the acceptance of French political leadership on European matters, which was the hallmark of German policy before unification. It raises questions of a claim to European leadership, perhaps in co-operation with Russia, that hearkens back to some Prussian ideas of the 19th century. And it raises questions about the direction of the expanded Atlantic Alliance. Germany is too important for Europe and America not to work on overcoming the existing tensions.

But there is a need to recognise that the rift was not an accident, and it cannot be remedied by pretending that it can be overcome on the basis of personal relationships.

The various schemes in the German media by which Germany could make up for the conduct of the campaign by new financial contributions, such as paying for civilian reconstruction in Afghanistan, are beside the point. Nor should the United States make any effort to enlist Germany in its Iraq policy; those decisions should be left to Berlin without pressure or persuasion. The international environment will produce enough situations where both sides can test their ability to develop common approaches - especially as Germany assumes the chairmanship of the UN Security Council in February. A sober, realistic approach on both sides is indicated.

A major effort should be made to deal with the conditions from which the explosive mix of the German electoral period emerged. Both sides should take seriously the other's concern regarding unilateralism. They should attempt to answer the basic issues of the direction of the Atlantic Alliance, the relations of Europe and America, and a definition of the German way that draws the appropriate lessons from history.

During the 20th century, the West tore itself apart over problems importantly revolving around Germany. The United States, its allies and the new German government have an obligation to dedicate themselves to making sure that history does not repeat itself.

One or two points.........

I am no supporter of Europe as a state, in fact I am strongly in favour of pulling out of the whole thing and joining the states in some form or other but:-

Kissinger having whined on for most of his essay about what the U.S. did for Germany, must accept that the result of that must be that they are a free and independant democracy ,just like the states, and therefore they may dissagree or challenge the states regarding their foreign policy, as far as I am aware this is not an International war crime.

I cant see the logic of boasting about creating a free democratic state and then complaining because it behaves in the way you have designed it to do.

I am looking forward to Kissinger writing an essay displaying the same kind of rigour, regarding the use of agent orange in vietnam.

Good point Red, isn't Kissinger wanted for war crimes? He had some connection with the Condor Plan in Latin America, which supported the elimination of political opponents.

However, he is a humanitarian. "Not a nut or bolt shall reach Chile under Allende. Once Allende comes to power we shall do all within our power to condemn Chile and all Chileans to utmost deprivation and poverty..."

Not to mention how concerned he is with other nationalities. "Why should we flagellate ourselves for what the Cambodians did to each other?" Henry Kissinger, about the genocide in Cambodia perpetrated by the U.S.-supported Pol Pot regime.

And a law abiding citizen like all of us. "The illegal we can do right now; the unconstitutional will take a little longer." Henry Kissinger

Biggles

just a question...

Not to be a boob, here, but is Kissinger still alive?

Amazing...

Yes, Kissinger is still alive. No, he's never been charged formally with war crimes, but there are plenty of countries out there that want to talk to him -- particularly the Chilean government, which wants to know how much of a role he played in the assassination of Salvador Allende and the installation of General Pinochet. Christopher Hitchens wrote a book about Kissinger's alleged war crimes earlier this year -- http://www.trialofhenrykissinger.org/ has plenty of information on the book and about Kissinger in general, for those curious.

As for German "anti-Americanism," as I've pointed out before, a year ago Prime Minister Schroeder risked his own career and his party's hold on the government so Germany could send troops and support America in Afghanistan. Isn't it a bit disingenuous to suddenly turn around and cry "anti-American" now?

So far, except for red indian, what we have is ad hominem attacks on Mr. Kissinger. Come on, folks - I expected better.

BTW - his so-called "war crimes" are exactly the reason I oppose the International Criminal Court. Any action against him there would be purely political, by those who opposed the policies of the administration in which he served.

Strelnikov

Thanks for that Bisciut......I think!

It is interesting to compare what happened to Germany and Japan (post war) as apposed to Britain. We were the principle ally, playing second fiddle to the U.S. by the end of the war, but what did we get out of it? absolutely nothing, in fact worse than that, we lost a great deal, we lost the Empire. Most Americans think the British Empire was lost when the U.S. gained its independance, wich is complete bollocks, it carried on pretty well untill the outbreak of WW2, when we gave the whole lot away in order to save Europe from Hitler, but we were left with the same ancient institutions and ruling classes still largely in place, left to slowy rot and wither over many years.

By contrast Germany and Japan started from scratch, with no hinderance from a indolent hierachy, still looking after itself at the expence of the country. These two countries are now second only to the U.S. as economic powers, thanks mainly to the efforts of the U.S. post WW2. Its pretty hard to find an example of this kind of magnanimity by a victor in war in the history of the world.

Britains course, post war was one of slow painfull decline, from wich, it has to be said, the U.S. benifitted greatly, how many Americans know, for example, that we are still paying back our war debts to the U.S.? where as Germany and Japan benifitted from the lessons learnt from the Treaty of Versai after WW1 that reparations (payed by the vanquished to the victor) plant the seed of the next war.

However, on a more optimistic note for the U.K. I note that according to some financial indicators we are now out performing the German economy, not bad for saying its only taken us 57 years to achieve it!!

Come on,

Kissinger's a good guy, what did he ever do wrong... Okay well... it's a good article and worth some thought. I really do not see Europe (or in this case Germany) to really be anti-American, but deep down many people are. I do not see the political system to be!

Maybe us Germans don't reply to this thingie because we refuse to be baited into a defensive stance. I can only talk for myself here - but since Cookie asked me so nicely, I'll comply.

First, just because I happen to live in Germany doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm also far from involved in any decision-making of our government. While I did vote for Schroeder, I only did thus to keep his rival Stoiber from succeeding. I'd have hated to see a total reactionary at the top of our nation. Schroeder is, in my view, as incompetent, but at least he's open to new ideas.

German democracy is illusional, same as the rest of the world. Since we have basically a two-party system, with a few smallish parties thrown in to change the balance by paying lip-service to the bigger parties, this can't really be called a democracy. My true party of choice doesn't even show up in the polls - what kind of democracy is that? But I digress.

I, for one, don't hate the U.S. But I don't support Bush's warmongering either. The U.S. have become something of the world's playground bully of late, and this I find regrettable. I can see why most of the world takes a dim view of the U.S.'s current way of doing things.

While I still grief the people killed in the lunatic WTC attack, I don't see how blindly bashing other nations will change things. It seems that all the talk of pre-emptive strikes is merely an excuse to make up for past blunders.

I don't like the U.S. - I like people there I've met.

I don't like Germany - I like people here I've met.

I don't hate anybody but individuals who gave me a reason too, up close and personal.

Nationalism is easy, individualism is hard.

And stop baiting people with quoting articles that are intended to start a flaming row, please. Thanks.

Marauder (and Hal, if you're reading this)

It was not my intent to bait anyone, or to start a flame war. I just wanted to have a discussion. I posted the Kissinger article because he's a person of some stature, and because the topic is in the news. Actually, my personal views on the matter are about the same as red indian's.

Thanks for responding.

Strelnikov

I have a feeling theres gonna be alot more anti- American feeling worldwide b4 this is all over.

And???

What is so bad about that?? I sure as hell don't give a f**k what some guy in Canada or Germany thinks about this country. Most other countries are jealous anyway.

Blimey!!

Cant wait to hear you guys views on Micheal Moores new film "Bowling for Columbine" should be a very interesting thread!!!

With all due respect, Moore is a fairly clever film-maker with a minimal consituency. He has damn little to do wtih the American mainstream. He is a classic left wing (as opposed to right wing) scold - "Why, oh why, can't everybody be good ... and more like me!" The fat f*ck (I guess it's around here that the due respect runs out) is a self-hating American; if he's really that worried about the distribution of wealth in the country, he should give his money to charity instead of making movies telling everybody else how to live.

And meanwhile, those with informed and constructive posts here contributed to the potential intellectual growth of *nearly* everyone that read this thread.

Then there's the comment by Krokus.

Krokus, I live in Canada now. Thanks for the fine support. Nice to know that some of the folks here have so much respect for their neighbors guarding the northern border (or haven't you noticed a lack of northern border patrol).

Nice.

Otherwise, Strel, another fine political discussion. Predominantly more interesting posts in this one than in the Kissinger thread, too.

What's New

4/29/2024
Check out the TMF Gathering Forums to see who is meeting when and where!
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back