• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Anyone ever see "I, Claudius"?

The Internet

2nd Level Green Feather
I'm watching I, Claudius for, like, the seven-thousandth time of my lifetime, and thought I'd vibe with any fellow admirers of this fantastic old miniseries. Brian Blessed as Augustus has got to be one of the greatest performances of all time. What I'm noticing this time around is that some of my favorite scenes and moments are ones I've taken for granted the previous million times I've watched it. This - and also "Six Wives Of Henry VIII", which the BBC did a few years beforehand (and it's sequel, Elizabeth R) - are so rich that every time you see them, you pick up more, the history comes more and more into focus, different lines give you chills because you know what's going to happen and where this or that is going to lead. Best of all, you just marvel at the detail of the performances, the more you know, the more little things you pick up, subtle little things, line deliveries, etc.

Really enjoying it this time 'round. Put it on, on a whim, after watching "Henry VIII" and alot of other great productions from the same time period, wanted to see how it held up in comparison .....tore threw three episodes already!

Looking forward to revisiting John Hurt as Caligula! But nothing is as great as Brian Blessed as Caesar Augustus. I could watch fifty more episodes just of him!

Good series. Also features Patrick Stewart as a bad guy :)

That's right! I haven't gotten there yet but that's right! In the Tiberius/Caligula period! Totally forgot about that! Oh, he's completely evil. The complete opposite of Picard!

Thanks, now I have something else to look forward to. ;)

I've never seen it but I've heard a lot about it. My father is a huge fan of that show and references it fairly often.

That's right! I haven't gotten there yet but that's right! In the Tiberius/Caligula period! Totally forgot about that! Oh, he's completely evil. The complete opposite of Picard!

Thanks, now I have something else to look forward to. ;)

I remember enjoying that series on PBS in the late 1970's.

Patrick Stewart's great range as an actor is evidenced by his ability to play Picard in Star Trek:TNG and Sejanus in I, Claudius.

I remember Brian Blessed mostly for his work on Blackadder. He was astonishing in it! Never seen "I, Claudius" though; maybe I should.

Nice to see a strong cast in a limited series before they were huge.

I remember Brian Blessed mostly for his work on Blackadder. He was astonishing in it! Never seen "I, Claudius" though; maybe I should.

Well then Tenebrae, you are in for a treat, because this is his most famous and definitive role.

I would think YOU would LOVE "I, Claudius" AND "Six Wives Of Henry VIII" (and it's sequel "Elizabeth R"). If you're looking for grand spectacle, explosions and battle scenes, this is not for you. These series are a window into the politics of the time, and the palace intrigue.....two things I know you have a lust for, Tenebrae! "I, Claudius" is about the first four emperors of Rome: Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Claudius. "Six Wives of Henry VIII" (the 1970 miniseries, not the movie) is simple: six wives, six episodes. Each episode you know you're going to meet a new wife, and by the end she'll be gone. Why? Watch and find out. ;)

These are presented almost as filmed plays. It's like you're watching a great play. If the only special effect you need is the special effect of great acting, great writing and great direction: these series are definitely for you, three masterpieces. And, especially in the cases of "Six Wives of Henry VIII" and "Elizabeth R", VERY historically accurate.

PS: For fans of "the Sopranos": the fact that Tony Soprano's mother was named Livia was an intentional reference to "I, Claudius", and the flesh-crawling performance of Sian Phillips as Livia, the scheming wife of Augustus (Brian Blessed) and mother of Tiberius.

Well then Tenebrae, you are in for a treat, because this is his most famous and definitive role.

I would think YOU would LOVE "I, Claudius" AND "Six Wives Of Henry VIII" (and it's sequel "Elizabeth R"). If you're looking for grand spectacle, explosions and battle scenes, this is not for you. These series are a window into the politics of the time, and the palace intrigue.....two things I know you have a lust for, Tenebrae! "I, Claudius" is about the first four emperors of Rome: Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Claudius. "Six Wives of Henry VIII" (the 1970 miniseries, not the movie) is simple: six wives, six episodes. Each episode you know you're going to meet a new wife, and by the end she'll be gone. Why? Watch and find out. ;)

These are presented almost as filmed plays. It's like you're watching a great play. If the only special effect you need is the special effect of great acting, great writing and great direction: these series are definitely for you, three masterpieces. And, especially in the cases of "Six Wives of Henry VIII" and "Elizabeth R", VERY historically accurate.

PS: For fans of "the Sopranos": the fact that Tony Soprano's mother was named Livia was an intentional reference to "I, Claudius", and the flesh-crawling performance of Sian Phillips as Livia, the scheming wife of Augustus (Brian Blessed) and mother of Tiberius.

Okay, I am sold :D First I love the period. The Roman Empire was the apex of Western civilization. Second, I love pretty much everything else you said: period pieces, British actors (especially the ones credited there), theatre plays, well-written plots, politics... Seriously I love this all, and then some. I am sold before I even watched the first episode; you sure know who you are talking to, hahaha ;)

It's probably because I am a bit young that I had never heard of this. I was born in 1985 after all. I'll definitely give it a go, and I'll let you know what I think :xpulcy:

Okay, I am sold :D First I love the period. The Roman Empire was the apex of Western civilization. Second, I love pretty much everything else you said: period pieces, British actors (especially the ones credited there), theatre plays, well-written plots, politics... Seriously I love this all, and then some. I am sold before I even watched the first episode; you sure know who you are talking to, hahaha ;)

It's probably because I am a bit young that I had never heard of this. I was born in 1985 after all. I'll definitely give it a go, and I'll let you know what I think :xpulcy:

Cool! Now I'm POSITIVE you're going to like it!

This was 1976. It's considered to be one of the top ten all time greatest British series, and also regularly appears on non-British lists of greatest Television series/miniseries ever. I mean, those lists can be bullshit, but in this case, they are spot on. ;)

I, Claudius should be easy to get. The Six Wives of Henry VIII I can get you if you can't find it, it may even be on You Tube.

What's New

4/27/2024
Visit Clips4Sale for the webs largest clip store! Get details by clicking the C4S banners
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** brad1701 ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back