• The TMF is sponsored by Clips4sale - By supporting them, you're supporting us.
  • >>> If you cannot get into your account email me at [email protected] <<<
    Don't forget to include your username

The TMF is sponsored by:

Clips4Sale Banner

Australia: A Guide For Tourists

Biggles of 266

1st Level Red Feather
GENERAL OVERVIEW
Australia is a large foreign country situated somewhere else. Despite not being an important member of the world community, it still thinks it is. It is surrounded by thousands of tiny island nations, some of which belong to Australia but aren’t very happy about it. The country itself is old, but white settlers have only been shooting the natives for around 200 years. Among Australian cultural treasures are the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras in Sydney (the largest in the world) and a large sheep-dip on Bruce’s place. Very large concrete monuments to food dominates the highways, so do not be afraid if you suddenly come across a Big Banana, Big Pineapple or Big Prawn. In some ways Australia is modern, such as its attitude towards foreigners (treating them equally by locking all of the bastards up in the desert). Most Australians speak English, although not a dialect easily recognisable to Americans. Never call anyone ‘cobber’, ever.

THE PEOPLE
Australia has a population of 19.7 million people. Of these, .7 million people actually work outdoors, wear hats, fight cattle and get covered in dust. The remaining 19 million just tell foreigners that’s what they do for a living. The Australian people in general can be compared to a large Labrador. Friendly and always cheerful, but likely to knock things over at parties and dribble on the carpet. Although there is no dominant Australian religion, George Gregan and Mat Rogers feature heavily in prayers around the time of trans-Tasman tests. Young men have names like Bruce and Bill, older males are always ceremonially re-christened Reg on their 60th birthday. American travelers are advised not to laugh.

SAFETY
A very safe country. Bombed once or twice by Japanese planes that had lost their way and thought they were over Washington. Try not to arrive by leaky boat, or fleeing for your life, as the government takes a dim view of this, and will lock you up in the desert.

HISTORY
Australia was populated 40,000 years ago by foreigners until the arrival of the first Australians in 1788, being shortly followed by every English person who wasn’t an inbred lord, count, viceroy or duke. It has long been considered a tactical error by the British to send their most cunning and intelligent citizens to live on a beach in the sun. These thugs, murderers and bread thieves have since formed the Australian Rugby League and Union teams and commit licenced slaughter of English teams regularly. All famous Australian explorers have never been seen since taking their first lonely and fateful steps into the desert. Many poems and statues have been created in their honour.

GOVERNMENT
The Australian form of government is democratic and colourful. Politicians call each other scumbags and liars without fear of retribution. Elections are held every 4 years, the main benefit being that journalists are given license to write long and boring articles. Voting is compulsory and failure to vote results in a large fine and transportation back to the mother country. This is seen to be punishment enough. Nobody understands how parliament works, so the system is something like a magic box. Money goes in, laws come out. The Liberals are conservative, and Labor is liberal. There are also the Greens, who are only there to make up the numbers, and the Democrats, who use the slogan ‘Keep the Bastards Honest’. The Prime Minister has always and will always be a small bald man who wears a hat in the country to appear more down to earth. His prime occupation is to kiss the buttocks of visiting Heads of State, on the grounds that their country is all that will protect us from any sort of invasion. During World War Two, the plan was for all those who lived in the top half of the country, to come down the bottom and let the Japanese keep the desert.

CULTURE
An opera house and a man in khaki do not a vibrant social culture make. The only famous Australian movies involve drag queens (Crikey!), Mad Max and some buffalo-hypnotising weirdo.

CUISINE
Meat. Cooked over fire. Fire and Meat good! Only girls eat fresh vegetables. Real men get scurvy.

ECONOMY
Australia has a large economy, solely based on the fact that no other country in the world would be caught dead growing their own food. Farmers grow wheat, sheep and cattle. These are the principal exports, followed by loud backpackers heading to Earl’s Court in London. Australia does make wine that is apparently regarded highly overseas, but not drunk here for obvious reasons.

PUBLIC HOLIDAYS
Australia has no public holidays. Workers call in sick at random and spend the day in bed with a beer, celebrating on their own. The day Australia won the America’s Cup is still informally celebrated with a beer in bed, as is Australia Day, the anniversary of the first English jackboot on the beaches. Australia Day is celebrated with a beer and meat pie in bed.

CONCLUSION
At least it's not New Zealand.

Last edited:
What about the wattle? Is it the symbol of your land? Do you put it in a bottle, or hold it in your hand?

:D

A wattle?

Great overview, but...

Crocodile Dundee isn't a famous Australian movie? :confused:

No mention of Steve Irwin? Crikey! :p

What would Mel Gibson say if he read this? :)

All you New Zealanders better take offense! :blaugh:

It is, mate, especially when you put a shrimp on the barbie and shag a sheila! As an American who's never been down under, I know that's a bad impression, but as long as we're poking fun, what the heck? :atom:

Amk: dammit, I forgot about crocodile dundee! Thanks for pointing it out, I'll edit and fix it up.
An opera house and a man in khaki do not a vibrant social culture make. The only famous Australian movies involve drag queens (Crikey!) and Mad Max.
Sounds like Steve Irwin to me :p Mel Gibson wouldn't give a feck, I don't even know if he calls himself Australian anymore. If he wants to fight about it, I'll see him behind the bike sheds after school.

Sounds like a lot more fun than France

Having never been to France, I can surely say it is a lot more fun here. Also, our football team kicked seven kinds of crap out of theirs.

May I just say, I've never put a shrimp on the barbie. How un-australian of me!

EQ: I'll ask Professor Bruce at the university. If he doesn't know, we'll confer with Bruce, and maybe Bruce as well if need be :D

Biggles, this post is for you!

Buffalo-hypnotising weirdo sounds like a good description of Crappydile Dundee. Was all that "Aborigine" stuff in the movie real or BS? Feck Steve Irwin; I hope a snake bites him in the arse! About Mel Gibson, you got my point exactly: how many people think he IS American? What the feck is a wattle, and where are all the angry New Zealanders? OK, mate, see ya until next post! :wavingguy

I dunno how authentic the Aborigine stuff was, it's been years since I've seen the movie. I think they romanticised it a bit, people like to think of native cultures as being mystically in touch with the land and so on.

If Steve keeps picking up snakes like that, he is gonna get bitten in the arse.

A wattle is an Australian tree, and the wattle flower is the state flower for some particular state that isn't mine. New South Wales is the Waratah, I dunno who got screwed with the wattle.

The New Zealanders are cringing with shame because their prime minister looks exactly like a man, and she has a deeper voice than most pro wrestlers.

Biggles

Last edited:
Well, that was quick!

I think so too. One of the funnier scenes in the movie is when Dundee makes that sheila think he can tell time by looking at the sun's shadow, when in fact's he's just seen his friend's watch!

Or worse--not that I fear for the nut's safety.

Pretty cool name for a tree.

I take it you mean an ugly man.

(no need to reply :))

Helen Clark:

58.new.zealand.clark.jpg

Hold me back! :cool:

Put a suit and a tie on that person...

Is her picture in the dictionary next to "androgynous"? :blaugh:

ROFLMAO! Biggles, y'remind me of why I almost moved there when my pal did, over a decade ago. Man, you lot are a humourous bunch. My shout when I visit next time, if you're up for it. I recall beer bein' a lot better there than in the Americas (North AND South).

Still gigglin',

dvnc

No mention of waltzing or Matildas..:(....or do I have the wrong country? :p

Joby

If I'm not mistaken...

"Waltzing Matilda" used to be Australia's national anthem. It's way better than the current one :)

Amk: she used to look a lot worse, but when she became Prime Minister, they got her a makeover and lessons on how to speak like a lady. *shudder*

DVNC: thanks bud. I'm always up for a shout mate. I guess Australian beer is pretty good but being a poor student, I buy the cheapest stuff that tastes like a mouthful of coins.

Jo: no no, you're right :D Waltzing Matilda is us. The crowd sings it at the Rugby after the real national anthem, which is a strange thing about being girt by sea and toiling for the commonwealth. Some people want to make Matilda our national anthem, but seeing as it's about a sheep thief who escapes arrest by the english cops and drowns himself, I could think of better songs. For example, Land Down Under by Men At Work, or the Pennywise cover. Much tougher :D

Is THAT what Waltzing Matilda's about?

As long as the music sounds patriotic, who cares? :p

Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"

Down come a jumbuck to drink at the water hole
Up jumped a swagman and grabbed him in glee
And he sang as he stowed him away in his tucker bag
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me'".

Up rode the Squatter a riding his thoroughbred
Up rode the Trooper - one, two, three
"Where's that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me".

But the swagman he up and jumped in the water hole
Drowning himself by the Coolabah tree,
And his ghost may be heard as it sings in the Billabong,
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"

See, Biggles? No one will understand the lyrics! :confused:

Always right behind ya...

Explanation of Australian slang in the song

Billabong: A waterhole.

Billy: A can or small kettle used to boil water for tea.

Coolabah tree: A type of native tree in Australia

Jumbuck: A sheep. There are 20 times as many sheep as there are people in Australia.

Squatter: At one time, squatters claimed (seized) land for themselves in addition to land that they had been granted. Eventually through the continuous occupation of the land, their claims were legitimised in the eyes of the law.

Swagman: Someone who lives on the open road. A hobo. The term came from the canvas bag that they would carry their bedroll and/or belongings in.

Trooper: In Australia's early days, there was no police force. The colony was protected by and policed by soldiers and even when a police force was eventually formed, they were still referred to as 'troopers'.

Tucker bag: A bag for storing food in the bush.

Stop following me!

So in Australia, some people suck on fags? :blaugh:

Biggs, bebe...I kid ya about that.

I will never forget the Waltzing Matilda...here's why.

My second semester World Civ. course in college was taught by a Doctor with a quirky sense of humor. In order to get an A in his class --- Which was almost impossible to start--- You had to sing two songs sometime during the semester. It wasn't enough to see him in his office and sing the words. His plan meant standing in a room full of over 100 fellow students in stadium seating and singing like your life depended on it!

The songs?
You guessed it! Waltzing Matilda and Lily Marlene.

I sang like a gypsy! I got an A! This was celebrated by the pinning on of the "Iron Cross." We lined up in the front of the class and he awarded us our well earned prize....at which point, all the other students had to stand and salute us.

Wasn't it great to have a nut of a Prof. He stands in my memory to this day as my favorite instructor EVER! This same man named each class after things like Thermopylae and Luftwaffe..lol then there was his Rebel Civil War uniform....yikes..memories....lol

Joby...pretending to be Ms. Dietrich

Cool, Joby!

Where was this college? (Don't have to name the school, just where it was located)

Great website, Biggles. Hadda do a crash course of Aussie English way back when, so when I visited I would understand his friends, which had suddenly become mates. Havin' t'stand my round, fair dinkum, seemed easy, and sure as Bob, I always did.

Was always amazed at the variety of ways people said "goodonya". Sometimes it was GOODonya, sometimes gohDONya, sometimes the syllables were more spaced out, sometimes closer together.

Nice folks, though. Would've moved their if I'd found work that paid better than the Silicon Valley. Back then, though, we were gettin' a fair rate.

I remember meetin' someone that worked at the Uni in Sydney, and he was always perplexed at why I was so pleased wit' VB. He thought it cheap. I thought it tasty. I *AM* American-born, though.

Still waitin' for someone t'bust in wit' A.B. Patterson or some Snowy River riff...

dvnc

What's New

5/3/2024
If you need to report a post, click the report button to its lower left.
Tickle Experiment
Door 44
NEST 2024
Register here
The world's largest online clip store
Live Camgirls!
Live Camgirls
Streaming Videos
Pic of the Week
Pic of the Week
Congratulations to
*** LadyInternet ***
The winner of our weekly Trivia, held every Sunday night at 11PM EST in our Chat Room
Back